U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM

7 posts, read 12,245 times
Default Defamation from Landlord !

I have perfect rental history in the apartment I am renting for 2+ years @$1300mo., I heard of a townhome in a very hard to lease gated development and filled out an application, when the townhome owner called my property manager she told her that she had no idea I was moving out, stated I didn't inform them I was, that I was breaking the lease and after all that the townhome owner rented to someone else. The present landlord slammed me for "looking" and"shopping around" and I don't have to check in with them so why are the allowed to slander me like that over the phone ? If my application was accepted, I was going to see what my options were of getting out of my lease. I put down a $100 deposit to hold the unit being they only become available about ever six months. She gave more info that was being asked ! I thought they are only allowed to ask the question in a yes/no format and not divulge more info unless asked !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 PM

6,653 posts, read 8,623,850 times
I'm not aware of regulations that limit information LL's can pass between each other. It is not an employer/employee relationship. However they cannot "slander" (say untruths about you) or "Libel" (write untruths about you) without risking a lawsuit. If you LL said something untrue, you have grounds to sue her.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 AM

621 posts, read 607,535 times
As far as I know if they do any kind of Character asassination it's against the law if you've done nothing wrong.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 AM

250 posts, read 167,632 times
You don't go around applying for a new job, and listing your boss as a reference & showing his/her direct phone number, unless you have that kind of relationship where he/she won't mind ... in advance. Most bosses would fire your butt for looking around, or at least put that in the back of their mind as they know you are not a loyal employee.

It was not smart of you to fill out an application like that without first checking with your landlord, as (a) most landlords require that you give notice before you move out in writing and at least 30 days out, and (b) that you fulfill your lease 100% in full. It's rare day that people can just get out of a lease in Texas...so she probably thought you were looking to skip out on her.

So she did nothing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobackground View Post
I have perfect rental history in the apartment I am renting for 2+ years @$1300mo., I heard of a townhome in a very hard to lease gated development and filled out an application, when the townhome owner called my property manager she told her that she had no idea I was moving out, stated I didn't inform them I was, that I was breaking the lease and after all that the townhome owner rented to someone else. The present landlord slammed me for "looking" and"shopping around" and I don't have to check in with them so why are the allowed to slander me like that over the phone ? If my application was accepted, I was going to see what my options were of getting out of my lease. I put down a $100 deposit to hold the unit being they only become available about ever six months. She gave more info that was being asked ! I thought they are only allowed to ask the question in a yes/no format and not divulge more info unless asked !

Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
You don't go around applying for a new job, and listing your boss as a reference & showing his/her direct phone number, unless you have that kind of relationship where he/she won't mind ... in advance. Most bosses would fire your butt for looking around, or at least put that in the back of their mind as they know you are not a loyal employee.

It was not smart of you to fill out an application like that without first checking with your landlord, as (a) most landlords require that you give notice before you move out in writing and at least 30 days out, and (b) that you fulfill your lease 100% in full. It's rare day that people can just get out of a lease in Texas...so she probably thought you were looking to skip out on her.

I am entitled to shop around and landlords are not my parents so why do I have to check in and report as you say ? I was not going to move out or plan to move out until I was accepted by the new development. It all hinged on my credit and past references, which she ruined by opening up her mouth and stating I was breaking a lease when all she was asked did he pay on time: yes and did he live there 2 years without being late: yes. Those were the questions she was asked and then she began to ramble on about how I was in fault of my lease agreement. I was not in fault of anything at the time the lady called for a simple reference. In my opinion that is 100% wrong and I am going to have someone call again and this time tape her, then get a lawyer !

Old 06-17-2011, 11:07 AM

428 posts, read 748,396 times
I agree with you. The three comments attributed to the current landlord are not slander because they are all true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post

Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Tta

64 posts, read 128,018 times
Are you on a current lease, or month to month? Sounds like you are in a lease and wanted to "figure something out" if you got approved for the townhome.
I think your situation stinks, but I don't believe there is anything stopping your LL from adding extra info unless it was about sexual orientation, race, or some other protected class. Just like dallas90210 said, this is like job hunting.
I'm not too sure you have a case, but let us know what the lawyer says. This could be very interesting.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:18 AM

My property manager who represents the owner of the property stated and i quote "if you pay you consessions ($1700) I will give the next person that calls a good reference"... That is as corrupt as it gets !!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM

621 posts, read 607,535 times
I would report them to everyone ...even the news......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas