Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times

Advertisements

If you are considering WISD, you might want to give the east side of Murphy a closer look. The Ranch, The Gables and Maxwell Creek are all nice, reasonable neighborhoods. Ranch/Gables share a pool/clubhouse right next to to a good sized park. Maxwell Creek has that water slide at the pool that you can see just north of the 7-11 at McCreary and 544. (Although that does come with higher HOA dues due to the lifeguards they have on duty).

And when you compare Murphy/WISD to Wylie/WISD tax wise, I think you get more bang for your buck. Murphy's tax rate is .565 and Wylie's is .8989. And honestly I don't know what more you get from the Wylie for the extra money. Only thing I can think of is their library and as a Collin County resident you're eligible to use it for free even if you don't live in Wylie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
So you say it is educated parents that drive up the schools in higher performance? Anywhere you know of where the educated culture also has some humble - or "down to earth" type folks?
I think you see a lot of that type in the city schools - in Dallas ISD, they can be found in the Lakewood/ Long/ Woodrow feeder as well as some of of the WT White feeders and of course, the DISD magnet schools. In Fort Worth, they're in the Paschal HS feeder. You have a lot of very educated folks - some of whom are more academic/ artsy (ie, lower paying careers)- who range from casual to "crunchy" in their lifestyle living in these areas. Even most of the ones with money are a little more subtle about it than the Hummer driving soccer moms in other burbs

I would also say Richardson ISD and parts of Plano (Central/East) can also meet that criteria. Lots of UTD professors & grad students in those parts.

You seem to possibly be a good fit for any area with more academia-driven (vs corporate American driven) folks congregate. Look around the area universities and find out where the professors/ grad students are sending their kids to school.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
If you are considering WISD, you might want to give the east side of Murphy a closer look. The Ranch, The Gables and Maxwell Creek are all nice, reasonable neighborhoods. Ranch/Gables share a pool/clubhouse right next to to a good sized park. Maxwell Creek has that water slide at the pool that you can see just north of the 7-11 at McCreary and 544. (Although that does come with higher HOA dues due to the lifeguards they have on duty).

And when you compare Murphy/WISD to Wylie/WISD tax wise, I think you get more bang for your buck. Murphy's tax rate is .565 and Wylie's is .8989. And honestly I don't know what more you get from the Wylie for the extra money. Only thing I can think of is their library and as a Collin County resident you're eligible to use it for free even if you don't live in Wylie.
I LIKE Murphy.

First time through there in my old truck (with one headlight out -- oopps.) the cops had me pulled over.

A+.

Real Highland Park treatment.

At first it annoyed me, and then I though back to the hood in Dallas we were just out of. Could not get a cop for anything. Even with "shots fired." And too often I was doing the shooting. At any rate the Murphy cop just gave me a warning and on our way. But doing their job. I LIKE Murphy.

And yeah, I think you are correct about the schools, as well. The folks there think Very Well of their Plano ISD section, and the Wylie schools that overlay it.

Have looked at some leases, there. Sort of our "B" Plan area if we really cannot get back into the rural Wylie area we were. We have just never had a home/playground of less than an acre. Dunno we can do the 'burbs. But those water slides are pretty cool. Are they real? Do they really run them?

btw. Could not care less about taxes. Three kids in school. We are on the taking (gratefully -- Thank You, Taxpayers of Texas -- really) side of that equation and you probably know some variation of the saying -- Think Education is Expensive? Try the Cost of Ignorance.

We do like the Wylie Library, as well. Have sort of felt like freeloaders going down from Lucas to use it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think you see a lot of that type in the city schools - in Dallas ISD, they can be found in the Lakewood/ Long/ Woodrow feeder as well as some of of the WT White feeders and of course, the DISD magnet schools. In Fort Worth, they're in the Paschal HS feeder. You have a lot of very educated folks - some of whom are more academic/ artsy (ie, lower paying careers)- who range from casual to "crunchy" in their lifestyle living in these areas. Even most of the ones with money are a little more subtle about it than the Hummer driving soccer moms in other burbs
hmmmm, so you are saying Lakewooder was/is right along?

Been a humbling week for me. Might as keep on it, and eat some more humble-shhit pie.

Lakewooder. Sorry, man. I am a dumbass. Sorry for have talking crap on you and yours all these years.

humble week.

Quote:
I would also say Richardson ISD and parts of Plano (Central/East) can also meet that criteria. Lots of UTD professors & grad students in those parts.

Richardson (which I am fond of) seems ok if you hit the Magnet? Dunno? Maybe? but that is 1:6 chance, right? And we hear very good things about Plano East -- way over by Murphy, like we were talking in the post above.

Quote:
You seem to possibly be a good fit for any area with more academia-driven (vs corporate American driven) folks congregate. Look around the area universities and find out where the professors/ grad students are sending their kids to school.
So what about Denton? Where do those profs kids go to school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas