Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
It just depends on the HOA, if you find a house you really like read the HOA regulations and bylaws before you put in an offer. Some are run by over zealous busy bodies who have their nose in everyone elses business, and others are pretty relaxed and just there to keep people from letting their grass get a foot high.

You could also look at older homes, the HOA's tend to come with new and newish developments.
True, some are more relaxed than others. But the very fact that an HOA exists means the individual homeowner has little control over the future of the HOA and could potentially end up with some overzealous power hungry freaks taking over in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
True, some are more relaxed than others. But the very fact that an HOA exists means the individual homeowner has little control over the future of the HOA and could potentially end up with some overzealous power hungry freaks taking over in the future.
This is why it pays to get on the board yourself. In many communities, most don't want to be bothered or are "too busy." If you feel like you would be a voice of reason, run in the next election!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
This is why it pays to get on the board yourself. In many communities, most don't want to be bothered or are "too busy." If you feel like you would be a voice of reason, run in the next election!
I love this logic, as long as it doesn't mean someone who is "too busy" no longer has the right to complain or offer ideas without participation. I would easily qualify as a person who is "too busy" since I have three kids under the age of 4, but can offer alot in terms of ideas and complaints.

The way I look at it, if they cash my check for HOA dues, my voice is as strong as anyone elses. But I agree, it can make someone (who has the time) feel like they are effecting proper change.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Exactly! It's your choice.

The news however are going to help alot of people. In that ifyou owe back HOA fees they MUST set up a payment plan ofr the homeowner. In the past this was not the case and fees kept piling on and they demanded pay in full etc... Now with the payment plan the payments go to pay the HOA back dues first then fees no more high intrest etc...

Also they can NOT foreclose on Active duty military.

To foreclose an HOA now has to go through the court system, I guess there were abunch of loop holes and the HOA could work a go around and foreclose on a property, no they can't. It gives the Homeowner more rights and ways to pay off past fees.

BUT it all comes down to CHOICE, no one is putting a gun to your head to buy in an HOA regualted neighborhood.
are those the new rules in the new law that recently passed? cause from what I read in the Dallas Morning News, that law was not passed.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I your going to live in the northern burbs the chance you find a neighborhood with out a HOA is pretty slim. I would suggest you look at the rules and regulation guide of each HOA. If they simply cover things like lawn maintenance and the general overall appearance of the neighborhood then they should be consider. If they are very restrictive (what type plants you can plant etc.) I would keep looking. I think HOA's do serve a purpose but when they start telling me what kind of tree I can plant or what kind of car/truck I must drive I must move on. I could never be happy under a HOA nazi neighborhood.
Right and That is the reasoning am so hesitant about HOA's. I like the idea that they keep up with maintenance issues & the overall look of the community & amenities, but going so far as to say that your garage door can only be opened going in and out is crazy. You are not allowed to park your vehicle in the curb & must park inside garage. What if you have a two car garage but then during holidays or special occasion, you have out of town family members? Just being so controlled is creepy & scary that they pretty much own your property & if they are on a power trip they can make your life HE**!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcr2977 View Post
Right and That is the reasoning am so hesitant about HOA's. I like the idea that they keep up with maintenance issues & the overall look of the community & amenities, but going so far as to say that your garage door can only be opened going in and out is crazy. You are not allowed to park your vehicle in the curb & must park inside garage. What if you have a two car garage but then during holidays or special occasion, you have out of town family members? Just being so controlled is creepy & scary that they pretty much own your property & if they are on a power trip they can make your life HE**!
It sounds to me like you wouldn't like it. Personally I think HOAs are mostly ridiculous, which is why I bought in a neighborhood without one.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
No HOA in my neighborhood, either. Believe it or not, everyone's houses are well-kept, some of us fly American flags on our houses, and we all get along. Some of my neighbors do have too much junk in their garages and have to park their cars on the street or in the driveway, but no one complains about it. Several of us, including me, have azaleas in our yards, which many HOAs ban because they have to be covered if there is a hard freeze. But when they bloom, they sure look pretty!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
True, many HOAs do function as governments/ municipalities by building and maintaining roads and parks and pools and even providing security and code enforcement. In Dallas, I pay property taxes which fund these same things. How come the Collin County (which was developed almost exclusively with HOA's) has an identical tax rate to Dallas County (almost exclusively non-HOA) at $.24? How come the county taxes aren't less if the HOA's are controlling & charging for things the county doesn't have to manage?

Because that's not really how it works.
Within most Plano HOAs the leading cost is private security and by a lot. The one we just moved away from in Plano spent right around 85% of its budget on security. The balance spent on flowers, irrigation up keep and water for the common areas, mowing etc.

The HOA spent nothing on roads or code enforcement per se.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcr2977 View Post
Most HOAs don't enforce rules like those. Some do most don't.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
No HOA in my neighborhood, either. Believe it or not, everyone's houses are well-kept, some of us fly American flags on our houses, and we all get along. Some of my neighbors do have too much junk in their garages and have to park their cars on the street or in the driveway, but no one complains about it. Several of us, including me, have azaleas in our yards, which many HOAs ban because they have to be covered if there is a hard freeze. But when they bloom, they sure look pretty!
Do you really know of "many" HOAs that ban azaleas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas