Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM

5 posts, read 14,931 times

Advertisements

I am so hesitant about purchasing our first home since pretty much all the lots we have looked at belong to a HOA. I've read up on a lot of horror stories regarding issues with HOA's that now I'm scared to even continue with the process. Putting liens & foreclosures....how can they do this & still win the case if taken to court? This is horrible. Does anyone have any issues to share regarding HOA's in the DFW metroplex? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Bo; 06-22-2011 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Moved from another thread in the Austin forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 AM

Question Any information regarding issues or horror stories about HOA's in the DFW metroplex?

I am purchasing a new home and I am hesitant about purchasing one that has a HOA. All of the properties or lots we have looked at, are HOA's. I have read each communities rules & omgosh so many restrictions & need approval for anything. Does anyone have any stories to share? I'm looking into savannah heartland & Melissa....but now I'm even scared to continue with the process. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcr2977 View Post
I am purchasing a new home and I am hesitant about purchasing one that has a HOA. All of the properties or lots we have looked at, are HOA's. I have read each communities rules & omgosh so many restrictions & need approval for anything. Does anyone have any stories to share? I'm looking into savannah heartland & Melissa....but now I'm even scared to continue with the process. Thank you in advance.
You other choice is risk moving within 10 feet of a horrible neighbor that views suburb living differently than you. And with the way homes are platted so closely in the DFW area this would be a problem..HOAs can be an absolute blessing as long as they aren't too strong.

Go knock on a neighbors door to get some real life opinions. If the neighborhood is new and HOA still finding a footing anything is possible. I think there are places closer in that don't have HOAs though if its a real concern for you. More established places can have more mature neighborhood cultures as well that just 'get it', where new places can be wrought with new people who have no clue.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 AM

I'm just really concerned. Wonder why so many houses are foreclosed in savannah & makes me wonder if they were taken from their owners. My whole reason for moving is to provide a better neighborhood for my kids. I was excited to be part of a HOA with keeping up with properties & such but didn't know it's all about power and who they like. I thought as a property owner you had rights but not if the HOA's can dictate how you live. I'm so confused....can they kick you out of the property if you go against the grain or because you are outspoken & bc of your race? My husband is a smoker(BBQ) will we have to be worry weather we will get a warning bc of the odor rule and the houses being so close together? I like being in my backyard cooking out & listening to music...will that be bothersome to my neighbors? Seems like a stepford(spelling?) wives communities...help!!!! I am so worried but I do want the best for our kids!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM

19,788 posts, read 18,079,394 times
I think you should relax. We tend to hear the one out of a thousand stories about HOAs and usually one sided versions at that. We don't hear a peep about HOAs moving to kick meth cooks out of neighborhoods etc.

To me it's simple. There is exactly no way I'd live in a densely populated sub-division without a strong HOA. It's too easy for one moron to leave a few junk cars out front or not mow his grass all summer sans an HOA.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I think you should relax. We tend to hear the one out of a thousand stories about HOAs and usually one sided versions at that. We don't hear a peep about HOAs moving to kick meth cooks out of neighborhoods etc.

To me it's simple. There is exactly no way I'd live in a densely populated sub-division without a strong HOA. It's too easy for one moron to leave a few junk cars out front or not mow his grass all summer sans an HOA.
Agree with EDS. the HOA is really there to protect you against your neighbor having 49 cars parking in the driveway and painting their house bright pink - not to worry if you have a smoker or like to listen to music.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:29 AM

509 posts, read 1,262,232 times
Everyone has their opinion on HOAs so hopefully you get to decide what you'll feel comfortable with. But you need to do a search on this forum for Savannah. I believe there was a post a while back where there were not great reviews about that community. Not sure but you should do a search both on that community and also on HOAs.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
You other choice is risk moving within 10 feet of a horrible neighbor that views suburb living differently than you. And with the way homes are platted so closely in the DFW area this would be a problem..HOAs can be an absolute blessing as long as they aren't too strong.
LOL- The most expensive real estate in all of DFW is non-HOA neighborhoods in Highland Park, University Park, Lakewood, and Preston Hollow.

While it's hard to find non-HOA neighborhoods in the suburbs due to the way they've been developed, the absence of an HOA doesn't make a neighborhood a sh$thole.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
Everyone has their opinion on HOAs so hopefully you get to decide what you'll feel comfortable with. But you need to do a search on this forum for Savannah. I believe there was a post a while back where there were not great reviews about that community. Not sure but you should do a search both on that community and also on HOAs.
I think the issues with Savannah have more to do with the development itself- shoddy construction, too many loans made to people who couldn't afford them, etc- than with the HOA. Again, many many Savannah threads to read through on the forum- you should definitely do a search for them.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:55 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,470 times
At our last house, there was only a voluntary HOA. One of my neighbors decided to cut down some trees in front of his house, and put up something that appeared to be aluminum foil in his street-facing windows to deflect the sun since the trees no longer provided any shade there. Another neighbor decided to keep his political lawn signs up year round after the 2008 elections...they were still there when we moved last December. Other neighbors failed to replace torn screens and dinged up shutters years after a hail storm.

I like the mandatory HOA in the new neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas