Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM

119 posts, read 291,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
tallscot are you unfamiliar with school choice in DISD?
I'm talking about the eligibility requirements for the magnets. You can't move to Dallas from Atlanta assuming your kid will go to a magnet. You have to, literally, win the lottery (if your kid is even eligible).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I think his kid didn't get into a DISD magnet school...
Nope, we didn't win the lottery that you need to win to get in. Oh well, I guess Plano West will have to suffice.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:45 PM

This is from Bella, another poster in another thread:
Quote:
I musr say, after my tour at Lakewood Elementary, we decided against sending our daughter there, at least for next year. She is used to lots of teacher attention and a small school envirnoment. She was very overwhelmed when we visited. I too, was somewhat taken aback by how overcrowded the classes were (mostly in a physical way: in the mods, the kids could barely walk around the desks, and the poor teachers had piles of stuff stacked on the floor).
Take that with a grain of salt? So everyone outside of Dallas cheats on the TAKS test, and anything negative about the DISD public schools is someone making it up? Do I have that right?

And they also cheat on the TAKS test by going into DISD schools and doing poorly on those tests on purpose to make DISD look bad. I bet it's the same guys who shot JFK behind the fence!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,736,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallscot View Post
This is from Bella, another poster in another thread:

Take that with a grain of salt? So everyone outside of Dallas cheats on the TAKS test, and anything negative about the DISD public schools is someone making it up? Do I have that right?

And they also cheat on the TAKS test by going into DISD schools and doing poorly on those tests on purpose to make DISD look bad. I bet it's the same guys who shot JFK behind the fence!
Reading comprehension 101. Did anyone say the word "everyone" when speaking of TAKS and cheating? I know that is aimed at myself but seriously, can you not read? I did not say "everyone". I said it occured and was one of the many reasons why most knowledgeable with how the TAKS ratings were obtained take TAKS ratings w/ a grain of salt.

Not to mention the fact that schools can get waivers in order to get a higher rating.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:56 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,453,291 times
Quote:
I'm talking about the eligibility requirements for the magnets. You can't move to Dallas from Atlanta assuming your kid will go to a magnet. You have to, literally, win the lottery (if your kid is even eligible).
No lottery in DISD. Thank goodness!! You have to meet minimum grade requirements - TAG is no lower than 82nd percentile and SEM is no lower than 80th percentile. This self-selecting process makes the candidate pool very competitive. All eligible candidates are carefully screened individually - no lottery.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,168,136 times
Quote:
Nope, we didn't win the lottery that you need to win to get in. Oh well, I guess Plano West will have to suffice.
Ah, so because your precious baby will have to "settle" for Plano West- one of the best public high schools in North Texas- you feel the need to bully the entire DISD via city-data forums. Yes, that makes SO much sense!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,050,017 times
2011 Dallas Morning News All-Sports Competition scoring:

FB TT VB BXC GXC BBK GBK BSW GSW BSOC GSOC WR BTR GTR BG GG BSB SFB TOTALS

Woodrow Wilson 4 6 7 5 3 7 4 5 6 8 8 3 2 3 6 6 3 5 TOTAL 91 points

Plano 2.5 6 1 1 1 2.5 2 8 12 10 1 5 0 0 0 0 8.5 12 TOTAL 72.5 points

Plano West 0 12 3.5 4 9 5.5 8 9 0 1 3 1 0 0 10 5 0 1 TOTAL 72 points

Plano East 1 2.5 1 3 0 0 6 4 3 2 0 3 7.5 11 6 0 3.5 2 TOTAL 55.5 points

Plano West did not win a single 8-5A football game

Abbreviations: FB (football), TT (team tennis), VB (volleyball), BXC (boys cross country), GXC (girls cross country), BBK (boys basketball), GBK (girls basketball), BSW (boys swimming), GSW (girls swimming), BSOC (boys soccer), GSOC (girls soccer), WR (wrestling), BTR (boys track/field), GTR (girls track/field), BG (boys golf), GG (girls golf), BSB (baseball), SFB (softball).

Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,904,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Ah, so because your precious baby will have to "settle" for Plano West- one of the best public high schools in North Texas- you feel the need to bully the entire DISD via city-data forums. Yes, that makes SO much sense!
Would this be a good time to point out that Plano West is going to be an overcrowded hellhole once 2014 rolls around, with 3200+ kids in a building currently holding less than 2000?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,736,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Would this be a good time to point out that Plano West is going to be an overcrowded hellhole once 2014 rolls around, with 3200+ kids in a building currently holding less than 2000?
OH!!!! (Hand reaching high to be called on by teacher)........

Don't forget the 300 Plano ISD teachers that recieved pink slips this past Spring.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,401,240 times
On your list "Lake Dallas High" and "Lake Dallas Middle School" are not in DISD. They are in Lake Dallas ISD which is a suburban district north of Lewisville.

Plano has other middle schools such as Frankford Middle School and Murphy Middle School.
Richardson ISD has a lot more middle schools including Parkhill, Westwood, Lake Highlands, and Forest Meadow.

The magnet schools in Richardson are not selective, like they are in Dallas ISD. One is court ordered and the others are a way to manage overcrowding and demographics. There is no testing to get in and I have never ever heard of any one being denied. Most are just programs inside comprehensive schools. The vast majority of the student body in these schools are not in the magnet program. It's just a way to attract whites to schools otherwise losing whites. It is possible, by the way, to be denied from your neighborhood school due to it being full.

School ratings are going to drop drastically this year (the list is usually published August 1 for the prior year). The last couple of years many schools and districts benefitted from the Texas Projection Measure (oh don't get me started on that) but now that the TPM has gone away, ratings will really suffer. I think DISD and FWISD already warned about their huge forthcoming drops. Course it will be interesting to see what it does to the suburban school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas