Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,050,017 times

Advertisements

Yep we are going to have a drop due to math scores.

I don't agree that magnets are there just to attract whites. They started as part of the desegregation order to attract all races therefore integrating them into one campus. It has sort of evolved into that in a way since the court supervision was lifted many years ago. I think the board has been pretty fair about this but some have complained that Booker T is 'too white'.

Regarding school choice - most Dallas high schools now have somewhat open enrollment in that many have been redesigned into academies. We (WW) have IB; Business, Finance and Entrepreneurship; Performing Arts and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). If your home school does not offer the coursework you desire, you can apply to transfer to a school which does offer the courses.

An interesting one is Asian Studies at TJ (Thomas Jefferson).

So most DISD high schools now have a magnet-like component.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,401,240 times
The Richardson magnets are about attracting whites to different campuses, not the Dallas ISD ones.

Hamilton Park elementary magnet in RISD is the court ordered school. Just the one. It was the one school for blacks in RISD so it had to be intergrated and the court order only allowed 50% of the school to come from the neighborhood. All others are volunteers.
Hamilton Park, Dallas, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RISD also uses magnets to control overcrowding.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,050,017 times
Yep you are right about Hamilton Park, sorry if I got confused there ...

Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM

256 posts, read 446,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallscot View Post
Nope, we didn't win the lottery that you need to win to get in. Oh well, I guess Plano West will have to suffice.
My kid didn't win a lottery to get into the magnet. He's just super smart and got in on merit. So we don't need to settle for Plano West, thank goodness.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 PM

256 posts, read 446,913 times
And as long as we're looking at greatschools.org, just for grins and giggles see how Travis, Townview TAG and Townview SEM rank. What's that? 10 out of 10, higher than Plano West? Surely you jest.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,143,342 times
Why are we having this same tired conversation for the millionth time?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,168,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why are we having this same tired conversation for the millionth time?
because the new guy's kid didn't get into a DISD magnet and has to "settle" for Plano West. Dad has an inferiority complex about the Plano schools not so he started this lovely thread to put down DISD - the entire district- and prove how awesome PISD is (which wasn't really up for debate anyway....). You got all that?!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,736,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
because the new guy's kid didn't get into a DISD magnet and has to "settle" for Plano West. Dad has an inferiority complex about the Plano schools not so he started this lovely thread to put down DISD - the entire district- and prove how awesome PISD is (which wasn't really up for debate anyway....). You got all that?!
Lol!!!

Don't forget. I've got the white kid that goes to the school that has the highest percentage of white kids to pass the AP tests and it's not in Collin County
Poor thing. I feel sorry for her being in a school in a district so many people in CoCo look down on. Don't all of you feel bad for her. Even though she can get into any college she wants and Stanford was recruiting her already in her sophomore year. Poor thing.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM

14 posts, read 54,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallscot View Post
There are magnet schools in other districts too, and I didn't include them because magnets get to pick and choose who gets to attend, thus they all have high scores.

If I move into a normal public school's boundary, my kids will be able to go there. I have to apply to get into a magnet. What's the waiting list? Is my kid eligible? How about my other kid?
I am one of those who moved from PISD to DISD for the magnet schools.
If your post was intended to inform newly relocating people of the school choices in the area, you made the information inaccurate and incomplete by omitting one of DISD's biggest strengths/attractions for parents like me.

Yes, you do have to apply, take tests and jump through hoops to have your child enroll in a magnet school, but having the option to put them in an environment where they would get suitably challenged and actually learn something - and not be cast aside and neglected because they are already capable of scoring high on TAKS without any prodding - is invaluable.

PISD has its merits, but the 'teaching for TAKS' was a major turn-off for our family. We couldn't believe it when our kid brought home study materials for the monthly district-mandated tests (in preparation for TAKS), and the teacher told them the 'right answers' to memorize for the test. Some of the questions weren't covered in the class, but the kids were told to memorize the answers anyway for the purpose of taking the test!

Say what you would about DISD schools, but even at the neighborhood school my child attended before he got into a magnet, the teachers gave way more individual attention than in his exemplary PISD school. We appreciated how his teacher, absent our request, took the initiative to meet with the principal to discuss the possibility of placing him in higher grade math classes, and kept in contact with us to discuss other ways to challenge him. There, he wasn't treated as just another score point - something that you'll never know just by looking at greatschools.org ratings.

Last edited by NEtoNWtoTX; 06-29-2011 at 10:57 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,070,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I think there was a discussion on the relative merits and demerits of schools in the burbs...using the SAT scores...let's just say that all those CoCo schools didnt have great scores with the exception of Plano schools...thus I have to view the Greatschool ratings with skepticism.

What was lost within that discussion was that the "poor-performing" schools were w/in 75-200 pts. of the Plano schools depending on the school.
If you want to say that's poor performing, be my guest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas