U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 AM
 
119 posts, read 177,555 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
OK here's my question to you, since you are the OP...if you are happy with your kid's school in Plano, then why do you care about what's going on in other districts??? they dont affect you or your kid in any way shape or form. I know I dont look at other districts...all I care about is the school my kid is in and how she's doing. End of story. And for what it's worth, dont you think PISD SHOULD be doing better than Dallas? Plano does not have the high percentage of reduced lunch/english as a second language crowd that Dallas has to deal with, thus Plano should be wiping Dallas of the map. Y'all bragging about Plano is akin to a healthy 21 year old guy beating a 75 year old man in a sprint. Nothing to really brag about in my book.
My intention is not to brag about PISD, and my post exposes a few mediocre schools in Plano.

I'm only interested in the facts, cutting through BS, and to give objective data to people thinking about moving here. Telling someone that the schools are fantastic in a neighborhood because of an elementary school, ignoring the middle school and high school, does a disservice to people wanting to relocate here.

Why are you here? Why does some guy have over 14,000 posts? I don't really care, nor is it relevant. I think people who start personally insulting others because they don't like what they wrote on the Internet are pathetic.

What I had was a lot of people shooting the messenger and going after me personally, my motive, lumping me in with everyone in Plano, everyone in California, etc.

I wasn't bragging about PISD, however someone has informed me that her child's school is superior to the one my kids will go to. Good for her!

I had an opinion that DISD schools weren't very good. I did some investigating after being challenged on that and, except for a couple of magnet schools, I still have that opinion.

Last edited by tallscot; 06-30-2011 at 11:22 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
 
7,901 posts, read 9,945,880 times
Reputation: 5317
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
You say it yourself...competitive. Not better performing, competitive. SAT scores are one factor to the overall picture of said student. Students scoring between 2000 and 2200 will be much more likely viewed by the "other" factors. While I agree that students in the 1500 v. 1700 range will be viewed as much more of a gap, it will be more weighted towards the SAT scores. Those who score in the upper ranges will be "competitively" pitted against each other w/ the SAT score being a small factor in consideration.

This is another factor that I meant to bring up in the other post, but never got back around to that thread. The SAT scores have 3 components to them. The scores you've posted before only appear to have 2 of the components to the score(s). Why is that?

Oh, and my oldest...going to Yale. 2190 SAT. #3 in her class.
The non-minority students at Woodrow, LH, and Pearce are not just competitive with CoCo- they are outscoring every single CoCo high school outside of PISD. Every single one of them.

The reason I post the math + verbal only is that there hasn't been new data published with the third component breaking it down to the school & demographic level. It is expected to come out again this summer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 AM
 
119 posts, read 177,555 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The non-minority students at Woodrow, LH, and Pearce are not just competitive with CoCo- they are outscoring every single CoCo high school outside of PISD. Every single one of them.

The reason I post the math + verbal only is that there hasn't been new data published with the third component breaking it down to the school & demographic level. It is expected to come out again this summer.
I'm only looking at city-data's 2009 numbers, the latest they have, but Woodrow's White kids scored lower than Allen High School's.

And you got upset because I slandered DISD, yet you keep touting Richardson ISD schools. Why?

But why don't Asians, Indians, Latinos, African Americans count? Why only look at the White kids?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
 
119 posts, read 177,555 times
Reputation: 74
More data:

2009 AP/IB Results

All Students % At/Above Criterion
Woodrow Wilson 38.2
Plano West 85.4
Allen 67

White Students % At/Above Criterion
Wilson 52.6
Plano West 84.1
Allen 69.1

Hispanic Students % At/Above Criterion
Woodrow Wilson 23.5
Plano West 84.4
Allen 68.2

2009 SAT/ACT Results

All Students % At/Above Criterion
Woodrow Wilson 33
Plano West 67.8
Allen 50.8

White Students % At/Above Criterion
Woodrow Wilson 54.5
Plano West 68
Allen 56.4

Hispanic Students % At/Above Criterion
Woodrow Wilson 10
Plano West 55.3
Allen 26.4
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
 
7,901 posts, read 9,945,880 times
Reputation: 5317
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallscot View Post
I think it's misleading to people wanting to move here to ignore the middle school and high school and only talk about the elementary school.
If you would read more threads before spouting off on here, you would know that the middle & high school choices in Lakewood have been debated TO DEATH. They certainly aren't "ignored" on city-data. Not even close. The consensus is that each family must decide for themselves to go public v private, private which families paying $500k & up for homes can afford.

You need to understand that the Lakewood contingent of students at Long & Woodrow (mostly the white, affluent students) go to basically a "school within a school", a phenomenon not uncommon for the "complex urban schools" which I mentioned earlier in this thread. They are in the honors, AP, and IB classes together and don't mix academically with the bottom 2/3 of the class.

When you examine that subset (the subset any family looking at Lakewood woud find their kids in), they kick butt-->
Woodrow's AP pass rate for white students ranks 9th in the metroplex at 57%. Plano East is just behind Woodrow at 56.8% passing. Schools ahead of Woodrow include Plano West, Garland, DISD Hillcrest, Highland Park, DISD WT White, RISD Richardson & Pearce HS. Other CoCo high schools are as follows: Allen 41%, Frisco Wakeland 31.6%, Frisco Centennial 30.3%, and Frisco 43.1%.

Woodrow's white student SAT ranks 17th in the metroplex - ahead of white students at Allen HS and every single Frisco HS and McKinney HS. Woodrow's white students score 50 pts below Plano Sr and 52 behind Plano East. Only Plano West signifcantly outscores (73 pts)



Futhermore, Woodrow has recently been awarded the prestigious International Baccalaureate program after a two-year application period. It is only the 4th North Texas public school to be awarded the IB program. Up to 40% of the freshman enrolling in the first year (2011-2012) live outside the Woodrow zone, and even are coming from other parts of the metroplex. Crappy schools just don't get the IB program.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
 
15,920 posts, read 24,443,609 times
Reputation: 5836
Also J. L. Long Middle School (Woodrow's only feeder) has been named a candidate for International Baccalaureate MYP (Middle Years Programme) and as such will be able to offer the curriculum starting September 1st.

There are less than two-dozen public middle schools in Texas offering IB MYP.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 AM
 
119 posts, read 177,555 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
If you would read more threads before spouting off on here, you would know that the middle & high school choices in Lakewood have been debated TO DEATH. They certainly aren't "ignored" on city-data. Not even close. The
In the other thread you referred to, Lakewooder took umbrage to my comment about the schools, which is what you quoted, and cited the elementary schools and ignored the middle school (you seem to keep ignoring middle schools) and the high school.

Got it? I didn't say 'city-data'. I was referring to the thread you cited. The middle school (still being ignored) and the high school were ignored in that thread, so I posted the data for J.L. Long and Woodrow Wilson, which are the schools that Lakewood Elementary feeds into.

In regards to your test scores, I just posted the city-data 2009 numbers that contradicts at least one of your claims. Maybe you have more recent figures?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 12:15 PM
 
119 posts, read 177,555 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
When you examine that subset (the subset any family looking at Lakewood woud find their kids in)
Because the Lakewood neighborhood only allows White kids who take advanced classes?

Do Asians, Indians, African American, Latino...White kids who are academically normal...not count?

"These schools are great, as long as you are White and gifted!"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
663 posts, read 611,717 times
Reputation: 713
I cannot comment on the relative virtues of DISD vs. Plano West schools, but I can say after having lived in Plano for ten years and then moving to what is considered one of the best schools in Austin ISD, that my appreciation for the education my children received in Plano has grown. The funding is so much greater in Plano. My kids' school has 30 year old portables rather than a much needed addition. In Plano the PACE (GT program) was phenomenal compared to here. In fact, outside of the magnet, there is no gifted program at the middle school--just pre-AP accelerated, which is not a gifted program. Class sizes are larger here as well, and funding for programs like Destination Imagination is nonexistent. Parents must foot the bills themselves. My house in Plano sold last August, so I don't have dog in this fight, but Hightower Elementary and Frankford Middle School served our family very well. I don't know anything about Lakewood schools, but I love that area and think the homes and neighborhood are beautiful.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2011, 04:27 PM
 
15,920 posts, read 24,443,609 times
Reputation: 5836
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallscot View Post
Because the Lakewood neighborhood only allows White kids who take advanced classes?

Do Asians, Indians, African American, Latino...White kids who are academically normal...not count?

"These schools are great, as long as you are White and gifted!"
Woodrow Top Ten Graduates for 2011:

Four White
Four Hispanic
One Asian
One Anglo/Hispanic


Twins Emma and Elisa Rivera made the top ten.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top