Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,254,125 times

Advertisements

I think it can vary a great deal from block to block. At least that is what I found in Southlake. It may have to do with age too, I know as I get older, I participate less and less in neighborhood activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 AM

59 posts, read 105,265 times
I have two nieghbors who do that commute and they say it takes them about 35 min leaving early and about the same coming back leaving during rush hour which seems unlikely but maybe the traffic patterns are different. They say it takes 45 to 50 min in the morning during rush hour. That's too much for me but they seem okay with it.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:47 PM

621 posts, read 1,327,951 times
I'm sure you'll find something like you described. But I don't know much about Richardson. Maybe Aubrey, Frisco or parts of Carrollton...

Old 06-30-2011, 04:02 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,851,818 times
It's kinda hard to make a decision about a neighborhood just by a drive though etc...
But yes they exisit, I would say in every area. We have found places like you describe in PA, VA and now TX. (keller, we have 4th of july block parties, pool parties, 2 bunco groups etc...)
My sister has a great neighborhood community in Coppell. (her cul-de-sac neighbors are always having get togethers etc...)

Old 06-30-2011, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,649 times
Try doing some research on Coppell ..... we did and love it. We're in our second home here. The first one we purchased very quickly and didn't know where to look. Then we discovered the older part of Coppell with large lots (some greater than 5 acres) large trees, cool houses etc.... Our neighborhood consists of custom homes build in the late 80s early 90s - most have been remodled and upgraded. If they have been you might be able to find a super deal. Top notch schools, multi cultural community of educated people and homes that keep their value because of location. A wonderful place for our children.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 PM

65 posts, read 122,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
It's kinda hard to make a decision about a neighborhood just by a drive though etc...
But yes they exisit, I would say in every area. We have found places like you describe in PA, VA and now TX. (keller, we have 4th of july block parties, pool parties, 2 bunco groups etc...)
My sister has a great neighborhood community in Coppell. (her cul-de-sac neighbors are always having get togethers etc...)
Exactly. That's why I'm asking you wonderful folks! Would you mind sharing the name of your sis's Coppell hood? You can PM it if preferred. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,669,333 times
There are many neighborhoods in Dallas and the Dallas suburbs that have thy feel.And yes,there are some to avoid.Usually areas with high foreclosure rates and many rental houses don't exactly have that feel you describe.The one city that you should avoid is Frisco. Many,many transient residents renting houses on tiny lots. Frisco is unlike any suburb I have been to.Many parts are inexpensive (houses starting as low as $140,00,low tax rate),large amount of foreclosures.There is not alot of parental support at high school sporting events from what I have seen,Friday night football Ames have nearly empty stands.Th is very unusual for a Texas suburb.It makes sense in Frisco. Here are some suggestions for areas with the feel you describe....

- Colleyville
- Park cities
- Canyon creek part of Richardson
- Bent tree area of Dallas
- Preston Hollow area of Dallas
- Lakewood & the M streets (downside is high crime,close to Garland, sketchy sections of Dallas)
- Heritage Lakes in Keller
- Southlake
- Prosper / La Cima,Cedar Ridge,Willow Ridge,Lakes of Prosper

Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,484,069 times
In Allen:

Watters Crossing, west of Hwy 75, east of Alma Rd and south of McDermott St. We rented a townhouse in the vicinity of this lovely neighborhood and took frequent walks there, as it is very wooded and contains lots of green spaces with park benches. They were always having shrimp boils, Halloween parties, and pool parties. Just a lovely, close-knit neighborhood. Watters Crossing Homeowners Association

Here is a listing (these don't last very long!) http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=TX531149379.

Twin Creeks in Allen is also a lovely established neighborhood in Allen. There are some town home communities there that may have rentals.

Best of luck!

Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM

36 posts, read 87,591 times
Default Close knit?

We've been here for 7 years. Originally from Canada. We're renting and don't own a house. I know HOA's and apartments try and arrange social gatherings. But for some reason I always sense hesitation in people when getting to know them. They tend to be very friendly but will hold back in becoming genuine friends. Should you decide to help someone they become cautious.
I never felt that way in Canada, there was always a sense of understanding even between strangers. But I haven't felt that way since living in the US.

I recall a time we have new neighbors move in next door. Their house burned down and were temporarily staying in the apartment next to ours. They were married and had 2 young kids. We (my wife, 2 yr old and myself) greeted and welcomed them. We told them if they needed anything to simply ask. We would catch each other and say our "hi's". They mentioned that we should get together. We tried to invite them over but I guess it was bad timing. My wife went over and offered some home cooked cuisine which was appreciated by them.
Once the husband came over needing help figuring out his iphone. Once his wife was trying to find parking and her daughter was sleeping in the car. I told her to take her daughter in and I'll park the car. She hesitated and declined my request. Numerous times they said we have to have you guys over. In the end, they found a house and moved away without even saying "bye".

So, I really don't sense that "closeness" as I did in Canada. Perhaps it's a cultural thing, perhaps people are generally scared to trust. With all the crazy stuff that happens here I can understand the hesitation so I try not to take anything personal.

My 2 cents

Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,527,355 times
Look for a home on a cul-de-sac...probably your best bet in any city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas