Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:01 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
I can't imagine any domestic carrier financially capable of acquiring AMR, unless it would be Southwest and that seems very unliley to happen for a whole vareity of reasons ? Now if Congress were to permit M&As of American-based airlines by foreign-based carriers, but that's not going to happen.
If this works like AA hopes they will more likely be a buyer than a seller I'd bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:09 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If this works like AA hopes they will more likely be a buyer than a seller I'd bet.
I doubt that American will have 2 nickels to rub together to buy somebody with after exiting chapter 11 , but even if they did the only realistic prospect would be US Airways which doesn't make sense because they'd just get their lunch handed to them everyday @ Phoenix & Vegas by Southwest.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Teachers in TX are not unionized for the thousandth time!
American pilots are overpaid and it was the union's action in saying it was not going to meet again but go directly to arbitration that probably made the Board throw in the towel
the Board has wanted to go to bankruptcy for years and only the strength of Arpey stopped it--
he has a very old-fashioned notion that AA owed the retired employees the promises they were made which filing for bankruptcy will erase...
We fly American because it has the best service where we fly--but I know people who were long time workers (not pilots) for United, Continental, and Delta who suffered a great deal with those airlines went through bankruptcy--
and I know others who are retired AA employees who are going to be stung just as badly--
many senior employees in any area--machinists, flight attendants, pilots, administration--benefited from the years AA rules the skys but management stumbled when it gorged on TWA
Coming before the 9/11 disaster for the airline industry as a whole and then the rise of energy costs were two bullets AA could not dodge...
Carty made the decision to buy/merge w/TWA and it was a big mistake--but Carty never listed to anyone but himself anyway....from what I understand...

Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM

325 posts, read 756,811 times
Wonder if the lobbyists will be trying to push for an extension of the Wright amendment to prop up AA while trying to come out of Ch. 11. Hope not, as I'd prefer to have more choices out of DFW....

Old 11-29-2011, 03:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
The UT guy (Arpey - a friend of mind dated him back then) is out for a Baylor/SMU guy..

Thomas W. Horton

Horton holds an MBA degree from the Cox School of Business at Southern Methodist University and graduated with a BBA degree, magna *** laude, from Baylor University...he also serves on the Executive Board of the Cox School of Business at SMU.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
***?

must have meant come loudly?

Anyway -- Sure, sure an SMU MBA will fixy this right up.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Teachers in TX are not unionized for the thousandth time!
LOL, you immediately stumbled into my trap!

And, BTW, did you forget your own post from Teachers unions in Texas ?

While they may not be powerful, they sure exist. Maybe under a slightly different moniker. Tomato. Tomatoe.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
And then there were none.
Until Tuesday, American Airlines was the only U.S. legacy airline that hadn’t sought bankruptcy protection, a feat of great pride for the airline. It came close several times, but pulled up safely on each occasion against intense financial headwinds that had tossed rivals like United, Delta and Northwest to the mercy of courts and creditors.
Editorial: Why American Airlines
&&&&&&&&
IMO AMR management was prideful to the point of being stupid and foolish. They should have made this move a long time ago.
BTW how does the Dallas Morning News get off charging a subscription fee to its readers ? This story in that paper this morning thankfully is a freebie, but even the NYTimes gives its readers 20 free reads a month
before a charge kicks-in.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Now if Congress were to permit M&As of American-based airlines by foreign-based carriers, but that's not going to happen.
To paraphrase from the Beastie Boys - "I'm tryin' to tell you all, it's Cabotage!"

(OK, technically, operations domestically by a US based subsidiary of a foreign corporation might not be considered cabotage, but we're hitting shaky ground there)

Old 11-30-2011, 07:52 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
I doubt that American will have 2 nickels to rub together to buy somebody with after exiting chapter 11 , but even if they did the only realistic prospect would be US Airways which doesn't make sense because they'd just get their lunch handed to them everyday @ Phoenix & Vegas by Southwest.
They have $4+ billion in cash right now. According to the aviation press US Air and AA would make a really bad fit.

Generally, companies that head into Chapter 11 with some cash and a long term plan that the court sees as viable are allowed to emerge with most of that cash. It will be interesting to see what AA's plan is:

1. Do they want to retrench and emerge smaller
2. Do they simply want to re-set union wages, no one can argue with a straight face that AA's unions haven't been out of line for years, and emerge much as they have been tracking otherwise - buy a bunch of new fuel efficient planes and make money on longer routes etc.
3. Do they look to acquire another airline
4. Do they look to be acquired

It now looks like not filing for Ch. 11 years ago - as the pilots and others began to lose touch with reality - was a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas