Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:50 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,429 times

Advertisements

The Plano one is horribly busy. I couldn't take the wait, so I went to the Lewisville DPS the next day and believe it or not, the line was reasonable at 7:45am. Some nice lady who works there passed out cold water; the wait in line to get inside was about an hour and once inside, the ladies inside were very nice. I thought I was in an alternate universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 01:30 PM

307 posts, read 1,096,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Lewisville, trust me.
I also used the Lewisville one. Out in ~1 hr.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,400 times
Another vote for Lewisville--I've been in and out in under a 1/2 hour.

I'll never go to the NW Highway location again. Pretty sure it is the 7th circle of hell.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM

213 posts, read 865,106 times
Those lines are indeed scary. I gave my written test a while back at the one near Irving but have been procastinating on the driving test ever since. Asking for time off from office would be a real hassle. And now I hear that it makes sense to actually go one day and pay the fees for the driving test, get the reciept and go again some other day for the actual driving test. If you try doing it all the same day, you will end up getting just reciept most of the time. Don't know how true that is.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
The Plano one is horribly busy. I couldn't take the wait, so I went to the Lewisville DPS the next day and believe it or not, the line was reasonable at 7:45am. Some nice lady who works there passed out cold water; the wait in line to get inside was about an hour and once inside, the ladies inside were very nice. I thought I was in an alternate universe.
I walked into the Rockwall DPS office one morning and the two clerks were actually waiting on ME! I was in and out of there in 5 minutes

Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
And now I hear that it makes sense to actually go one day and pay the fees for the driving test, get the reciept and go again some other day for the actual driving test. If you try doing it all the same day, you will end up getting just reciept most of the time. Don't know how true that is.
You have to make an appointment for the road test. Each office operates slightly differently. And they don't always do the road tests every single day at some locations. If there is only one officer to do the road tests and they have a class to take one day or they are on vacation then there are no road tests that day/week. You also have to go that morning early and make the appointment for that day. Sometimes you can get lucky and they can go ahead and put you down to do it in the next few minutes or hour. Other times it is come back later in the day as that is all that is open. When you make the appointment is when you pay and get the paperwork to turn in to the officer when doing the road test. There is no guarantee that if you went in say tomorrow to make your appointment that you could actually do the road test that day.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett21 View Post
PS- any state that you live in in America will make you re-take the state test for that state. We all have to, American or otherwise. It's super easy!
If you have a valid DL in any US state you do not have to retake the test to transfer to another state. I have transferred from Maryland to Louisiana and then to Texas and never had to re take a driving test.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 PM

213 posts, read 865,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You have to make an appointment for the road test. Each office operates slightly differently. And they don't always do the road tests every single day at some locations. If there is only one officer to do the road tests and they have a class to take one day or they are on vacation then there are no road tests that day/week. You also have to go that morning early and make the appointment for that day. Sometimes you can get lucky and they can go ahead and put you down to do it in the next few minutes or hour. Other times it is come back later in the day as that is all that is open. When you make the appointment is when you pay and get the paperwork to turn in to the officer when doing the road test. There is no guarantee that if you went in say tomorrow to make your appointment that you could actually do the road test that day.
Thank you! This will help in planning my driving test. My friend is almost fed up with having to tag along with me on the passenger seat every time I have to take the car out.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,023,974 times
I don't know why it's this horrible in Texas. Back when I lived in Arizona, getting a license was super quick. Turn up any time the MVD was open, and do the driving test in 30-40 mins. Also, they will give you the actual license card, not a paper one, in 15 more mins. Why does it have to take weeks in Texas?

Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I don't know why it's this horrible in Texas. Back when I lived in Arizona, getting a license was super quick. Turn up any time the MVD was open, and do the driving test in 30-40 mins. Also, they will give you the actual license card, not a paper one, in 15 more mins. Why does it have to take weeks in Texas?

Probably because there are more people moving here. Higher demand for people needing to get their license. Also, how many offices were there? Were they more abundant in AZ than here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas