U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 AM

6 posts, read 9,293 times
Default Uptown vs. Knox-Henderson vs. Turtle Creek?

Thanks in advance for thoughts/suggestions. You all are very helpful!

Single early 30s female moving to Dallas in September. Working near DFW airport. Based on what I've been reading, it appears that I should try to find a place west of I75, does that sound about right? Or does it not make much difference? What is the commute like going west towards the airport in the morning and coming back east in the afternoon?

My budget is not to exceed $2,000 for a 2BR. Trying to identify properties in the Uptown/Knox-Henderson/Turtle Creek areas and was hoping to get some comments on which of those neighborhoods better meet the following criteria:

1) I enjoy walking access to local bars/restaurants/coffee shops where there are people my own age. Don't need or want to be in the center of the action, but like to live next door so I can take it or leave it at my discretion

2) I like to exercise outside (near Katy trail?) and also be in close proximity to a gym. Are there large gyms in these areas?

3) I would prefer a building that is either modern or updated, like old loft style. Would prefer to stay out of high rises, but it's looking like that may be unavoidable.

- How do the above compare across those three neighborhoods?
- Any suggestions on actual properties in those neighborhoods?

I'll be in Dallas in a few weeks to find a place and sign a lease any recommendations would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM

8,567 posts, read 4,527,550 times
Check a google map and search for zip code 75219. This will put you in the proximity of Oak Lawn and Uptown. You'll see US75 headed north out of downtown and parallel to that is McKinney Ave. McKinney runs from near downtown thru State/Thomas, Uptown and to Knox/Henderson. This will be your area of interest. You'll find townhomes, condos, apartments. Most townhomes and condos will be fairly new as will be most apartments. There may be some older apartments between Blackburn and Knox. I suspect the Uptown area from about Hall to Blackburn will satisfy your social area.

The drive to near DFW from Uptown will be easy. I lived in Oak Lawn a number of years and worked in that DFW area. Typically, you'll want to cross Turtle Creek to Oak Lawn Blvd and head to I-35, where you'll take the freeway north bound. Next, you'll take the 183 split and then after crossing the Trinity River you'll take Hwy 114 to your surface streets or (depending on destination) stay on 183.

Your commute will be against usual traffic and will typically be obstruction free. That is, once on the freeway you'll be cruising. Occasionally, on return, the exit for Oak Lawn will be backed up if I-35 by downtown is experiencing problems. Should that be the case then Mockingbird or Inwood would be your next best exit. As an outbound alternate, you can take Lemmon Ave or Harry Hines to just beyond Love Field where you can then take the Northwest Hiway westerly towards DFW.

Last edited by Willsson; 07-05-2011 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM

170 posts, read 165,380 times
Check out 75204 (West Village-Uptown) and 75205 (Knox-Henderson). We have a place in KH on the Katy Trail and love the walk to location, and I personally feel it skews a little older-less SMU students, as many of the properties are townhouse-type, not apartment buildings, per se. We use the trail quite a bit, as well as Equinox fitness which is 5 minutes away on Oaklawn. There are some new buildings immediately west of 75 on Henderson (Belmont, Easton) in your price that are somewhat walkable. You need to watch some of the Gables and Post properties in the area as they do attract a large college contingent which makes them a little louder. Manchester State townhomes are recommended on this board quite frequently and are in a great location for access to everywhere.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:42 PM

15,917 posts, read 24,428,057 times
75206 is adjacent to 75205 and is more Henderson (and Greenville Avenue) than Knox but you might want to check it out.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Tofurkey -- Thanks so much for the commute info, VERY helpful!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Looking at several apartment buildings to include the Belmont, Manchester State Townhomes, and the Pavilion Townplace -- Any thoughts or experience with those properties?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM

8,567 posts, read 4,527,550 times
Looks like Manchester State is in the State/Thomas district. Most everything there is less than 10 years old, good neighborhood. Very near downtown. This was a run down part of town that has been refurbished to high standards.

Belmont is across 75 which may be okay, depending on other commentary, renter's choice, probably not first choice. There is a Target store across the street.

Pavilion is in a fairly sweet spot. The Inwood Theatre is nearby for independent films. I've been through that area a few dozen times on bicycle. Close to the tollroad should you need to travel north for work. Like to Frisco. Also easy access to I-35.

Last edited by Willsson; 07-06-2011 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 AM

3,916 posts, read 3,441,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLife View Post
Looking at several apartment buildings to include the Belmont, Manchester State Townhomes, and the Pavilion Townplace -- Any thoughts or experience with those properties?
We maintain an apartment in the State Townhome Area and love it. The area is nicely done up and alive with people walking etc. I would say the age group is probably 25-35yrs and about 75% without kids. There is plenty of places to eat and hang out all within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas