U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:58 PM

29 posts, read 73,243 times

Advertisements

Hi !
I am new here and am going to take a road test to get a drivers license in Garland, Texas DPS Office. Does anyone know what route the DPS instructor take you for the Road Test ? So I can practice driving around those route.
Thanks a lot to anyone who reply !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,711,695 times
I know the route but I can't give you the street names. Basically you pull out the DPS office and go right. You will them make a left on a residential street and take it alway down to Beltline (4 way stop light). You will then make a right on Beltline and then a right at the I-30 Service road and drive back to the DPS office.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM

2,241 posts, read 6,576,779 times
Make sure you know how to parallel park! They take you to parallel park first thing and if you don't get it right they don't go on with the rest of the test. (this is from my son's friends who have been testing at the NW Hwy location)

Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,978,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I know the route but I can't give you the street names. Basically you pull out the DPS office and go right. You will them make a left on a residential street and take it alway down to Beltline (4 way stop light). You will then make a right on Beltline and then a right at the I-30 Service road and drive back to the DPS office.
That's one of the routes they use. My daughter just did hers a few months ago there and her friends have as well and they all do about the same but not always.

Yes, they make you parallel park first. If you don't get that you go no further.

If one needs to drive on the exact course they will be tested are they really ready to be let loose on the roads A residential street is a residential street........ a service road for a major interstate is still a major interstate service road no matter which one....... one should be able to drive on any without having to "practice" the exact ones they will have to drive on for their road test. One of the many reasons I now take down license plate numbers, car descriptions, driver description, location and time/day and turn in some that NEED to be gotten off the road.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM

213 posts, read 369,980 times
While I agree that one should be ready to drive in any kind of roads, it still helps to know them beforehand. I guess we all are more confident driving on roads that we are familiar with as compared to the ones that we are on for the very first time. It really doesn't reflect on the capability of the driver.

As for the parallel parking, are they really particular about getting it exactly right? I haven't been getting enough time to practice and the few times that I have done it in real-world situations, I have gotten it almost right, as in, once it took a couple of tries and at another time, the car was parked at a slight angle. Could that end up in a disqualification?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:19 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,978,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
As for the parallel parking, are they really particular about getting it exactly right? I haven't been getting enough time to practice and the few times that I have done it in real-world situations, I have gotten it almost right, as in, once it took a couple of tries and at another time, the car was parked at a slight angle. Could that end up in a disqualification?
YES! They want it "right" the first time. You only get one shot at it and it has to be right in the middle. They have a pole in the front and the rear and it has to be in the center of the car on both ends. Some locations do not have an actual curb for you to park against. Just a line on the ground to indicate the "curb".

Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM

213 posts, read 369,980 times
Oh! That's a bummer. I would just have to practice more then. I saw the way it was set up when I was at the DPS for the written test. This one was actually set on a curb. Wonder if I should drive down there after-hours and practice on it.

Thank you momof2dfw!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,711,695 times
It's much easier to do it in a small car than it is in a SUV or a pickup. Also make sure you look both ways at the stop signs and lights. I got dinged for not doing it at a stop sign.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:48 PM

2,241 posts, read 6,576,779 times
So I went to the NW Hwy location today to ask about the driving test. I was told it is best to process my son's paperwork first, and then come back to wait in line another time for the driving test. Evidently it's almost impossible to process paperwork AND get a drive test time all on the same day. The people that line up in the early morning must have everything ready to go and already in the computer and will then be assigned a time to take the driving test. I was also told that once the paperwork is processed, you have 90 days to get the driving test taken. I am very glad I found this out!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 PM

29 posts, read 73,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Thank you for your reply!
Supposedly it might be DPS office-I30-Bobtown Rd then down through Rowlett Rd/Broadway-Beltline and back to DPS office on I30 ( I could be wrong though)
I have driven around those area a few times and all the way down to Mesquite, hope it helps me to let loose and befriends with the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas