Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM

15 posts, read 65,133 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

I am a college student that may be moving to DFW soon to start working for Southwest Airlines (Fingers crossed!). I've been looking at apartments in the area lately, but really have no idea where a good location would be that is in close proximity to Love Field.

I am 20 years old, and would like to find an area that has many people near my own age. Also, I'm looking to stay under $800 per month on rent.

Last edited by TTUstudent; 07-10-2011 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
For your budget, I'd focus on the Village Apartments. The Village Apartments They are about 10-12 minutes east of Love Field, south Northwest Highway & just a bit east of 75. It's a straight shot west on Northwest Highway and the south on Lemmon to Love Field. Safe, tons of young people, and affordable. It's a series of maybe 20 huge apartment complexes that all share a "country club" (free) with intramural fields, tennis courts, huge gym, pool, etc. In addition, each complex has it's one pool & gym. There are running trails all around the Village and it's close to restaurants, grocery stores, bars, etc along Greenville Ave.

The other area where lots of young professionals live is Uptown- which is about 5-7 minutes closer to love field- but it's going to take about $950-1,000/mo to find a good apartment there. You can still take a quick cab ride and go out there on the weekends though.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:29 PM

373 posts, read 635,207 times
Default The immediate area around Love Field

The apartments and general area around Love Field is pretty rough. Some of the single family homes are not so bad. You really want to drive around the area first to get a feel.

SW airlines has higher standards then many of the people in apartments could meet around there and I am not to picky about who lives in the area so long as they leave me alone.

Carefully scope the area out in person. Some parts of Dallas County you could just throw a dart and be OK, this is not one of them.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 PM

What about the Las Colinas area in Irving? I've really like it the times I have visited there. It seems like less than a 30 minute commute to Love Field. Is it safe?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 PM

373 posts, read 635,207 times
Default It is a place I would suggest you live

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTUstudent View Post
What about the Las Colinas area in Irving? I've really like it the times I have visited there. It seems like less than a 30 minute commute to Love Field. Is it safe?
Yes, just throw a dart into Las Colinas and you will be OK. It is a short commute too. If you were a relative I would sleep well knowing you lived there. There also alot of corporate jobs around there if SW airlines does not pan out.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:27 PM

Alright, Thanks! Any other suggestions from others?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTUstudent View Post
There are a lot of newer, safe, nice apartments in Las Colinas. HOWEVER- the bar/nighlife is in Uptown Dallas, not in Las Colinas. Las Colinas is really busy during the day since so many people work there, but is kind of a ghost town at night and on the weekends. Trust me, if you're at all interested in making friends quickly, live as close to Uptown as possible (like ijnthe Village which is just a few miles north) and choose a complex with a lively pool. You'll have friends after spending one Saturday at the pool.

Las Colinas is probably a 20-30 minute rush hour drive to Love....but a $20+ cab ride if you party in Uptown and need a ride home.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:51 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
I'll agree with the recommenation of the Village. It is MUCH closer than Las Colinas and will have many people your age.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
Jealous! I came close to working for SW, but passed it up. It's an incredible place to work. I second Las Colinas--really not a bad commute at all.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 AM

I love las colinas, but am really liking the village also. I have family I can live with temporarily, so I will have time to find a good place. Thanks for everyone's replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas