Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm considering a move from Atlanta to either Chicago, Dallas or Houston in 2012. I'm a SBF in my early thirties and I work in clinical research (currently in cardiology).

Help convince me Dallas is the right choice out of the three

1. How is the job market fairing in Dallas compared to the rest of the country? I have a bachelors and 6 years research coordinator experience; I looked at UT Dallas and think I saw a few research positions there. I may also look into pharma. companies or CROs that do research.

2. Please offer any insight on a good strategy for securing a job out of state. Do I need to mention in my cover letters that I can relocate within 2-3 weeks of written offer? Mention that I do not need relocation assistance?

3. I currently rent a 700-something square foot apartment for mid 600's. It's not new but it's nice. Any recommendations on areas to rent in/stay away from that are in the 700-800 range for a 1 bedroom (no roommates)? (That are safe?) I like diversity, proximity to restaurants/culture/arts/places I can meet other singles easily, etc.

4. What's a good way to find an economical place? Meaning, low security deposit/application fees, electric, etc.? Craigslist? Apartmentfinder.com?

5. What are some things that you would say set Dallas apart from other cities (specifically Houston, Chicago and Atlanta if you have experience living in any of those places)?

6. If you were me, how much would you think would be the minimal amount to have saved up ideally before moving? This is assuming you already had a job lined in Dallas before leaving. This would include first month's rent, security deposit/application fee, and furniture for a 1 bedroom apartment (I plan to sell all my furniture so I don't have to pay to move much; the money will go towards all new furniture).

7. Please feel free to mention reasons why you think Dallas is/is not a better choice than Houston or Chicago, and feel free to specifically mention any of the following: culture, food, weather, arts/entertainment, employment, transportation, and dating life for females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 AM

247 posts, read 567,487 times
1) It's one of the best in the nation. Texas is "the place" to find the most jobs.
2) Everything you said is great. It's not as easy to find a job remotely, vs being able to go to interviews in person, but it definitely can be done.
3) That's pretty easy to do in Dallas. The Village Apartments (see www.thevillageapts.com) in Dallas are awesome, plus there are plenty of other places in the suburbs too that are nice. If you like areas with lots of diversity, Lancaster/Desoto/Duncanville and Cedar Hill offer lots of nice apartments...The Legacy of Cedar Hill is VERY nice.
4) Those apartment finder websites are great, yes.
5) I used to live in Houston. It's soooo humid down there, and its just not as pretty as Dallas. The summers are hot in Dallas and Atlanta too, but in Houston you better enjoy sweating like a dog if you spend anytime outside in the summer. That humidity is just awful. Dallas (speaking about DFW as a whole, not just the city of Dallas) has lots of jobs & a lot of fun things to do.
6) That depends on your monthly expenses really. I almost packed up & moved to Florida around the year 2000, and thank god I didn't. At the time I had few roots (no houses, wife, car notes, businesses, whatever) that kept me tied to Dallas...and that would of made moving easy. But I had $5000 cash and I figured I could live on that for 2 months back then - man those were the days. LOL.
7) All 3 cities have their pros & cons, but I have been to all of them and Dallas wins hands down for me. Dallas has less humidity than Houston, less snow & cold days than Chicago, and the cost of living is less here than most other places (Houston is a good deal too). Dallas - again I am speaking of the "metro area", not just the city itself - has lots of jobs, opportunity and fun things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Hi

I'm considering a move from Atlanta to either Chicago, Dallas or Houston in 2012. I'm a SBF in my early thirties and I work in clinical research (currently in cardiology).

1. How is the job market fairing in Dallas compared to the rest of the country? I have a bachelors and 6 years research coordinator experience; I looked at UT Dallas and think I saw a few research positions there. I may also look into pharma. companies or CROs that do research.

2. Please offer any insight on a good strategy for securing a job out of state. Do I need to mention in my cover letters that I can relocate within 2-3 weeks of written offer? Mention that I do not need relocation assistance?

3. I currently rent a 700-something square foot apartment for mid 600's. It's not new but it's nice. Any recommendations on areas to rent in/stay away from that are in the 700-800 range for a 1 bedroom (no roommates)? (That are safe?) I like diversity, proximity to restaurants/culture/arts/places I can meet other singles easily, etc.

4. What's a good way to find an economical place? Meaning, low security deposit/application fees, electric, etc.? Craigslist? Apartmentfinder.com?

5. What are some things that you would say set Dallas apart from other cities (specifically Houston, Chicago and Atlanta if you have experience living in any of those places)?

6. If you were me, how much would you think would be the minimal amount to have saved up ideally before moving? This is assuming you already had a job lined in Dallas before leaving. This would include first month's rent, security deposit/application fee, and furniture for a 1 bedroom apartment (I plan to sell all my furniture so I don't have to pay to move much; the money will go towards all new furniture).

7. Please feel free to mention reasons why you think Dallas is/is not a better choice than Houston or Chicago, and feel free to specifically mention any of the following: culture, food, weather, arts/entertainment, employment, transportation, and dating life for females.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM

159 posts, read 575,121 times
The northern suburbs of DFW are some of the best towns in the nation. Southlake, Grapevine, The Colony, Frisco, and Plano are all wonderful.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM

648 posts, read 1,422,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Hi

I currently live in Atlanta and will be moving to Dallas within the next month. Come on down.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 PM

621 posts, read 1,332,699 times
Houston is always a good choice!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
I've lived in 3 of the cities and visited Chicago a number of times. Texas has no state income tax. It also doesn't have the car "birthday" tax, simply a license tag fee which will run around $70. Illinois just raised its taxes dramatically.

In food and the arts all 3 are very good and way ahead of Atlanta. They're also way ahead on the economy right now. They're also 3 of the friendliest major metro areas (although Atlanta is probably #1).

Despite the national rankings, IMO in traffic Chicago is the worst of the 3 and probably worse than Atlanta. During rush hour Houston and Dallas are similar and not much better than Atlanta. During non-rush hour, both are much easier to get around than Atlanta. Chicago has the most extensive rail and mass transit system. Dallas is next. Houston, in contrast, has very good and extensive HOV lanes and park and ride buses to the suburbs, but only a "toy" train if you are used to MARTA.

You'll find Dallas notably warmer in both the summer and winter than Atlanta. Houston will have milder winters than Dallas and lower temperatures in the summer, but it will feel warmer because of the humidity. Chicago, of course, will be much colder.

Not familiar with Chicago's medical research. Dallas has UT Southwestern, the top ranked medical school in the state. Houston has the Texas Medical Center, the largest grouping of medical institutions in the country and probably the world.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I am in Atlanta for work this week and let me tell you, if I were a black young professional there is NO way I would choose Dallas over Atlanta. Yes, there's a black young professional circle in Dallas, but it is nothing like Atlanta. I have never seen so many good looking, well-dressed black 20-40 somethings in ANY other major US city.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
TC80, which section of town are you in? Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter area? Also, to the OP, I'd pick Texas, over Chicago, although I love Chicago, generally speaking as others have said the jobs are in TX. As mentioned, Houston and Dallas are pretty strong in the medical field, just had some friends from Atlanta move to Dallas this week in fact. One had a job already in hand (didn't know if she would be working in Houston or Dallas branch until the last minute) and the other who is in the medical profession had only a little over a month's notice before they moved to find a new job and was able to secure one.

Last edited by ATLHRLGUY; 07-14-2011 at 07:26 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I am in Atlanta for work this week and let me tell you, if I were a black young professional there is NO way I would choose Dallas over Atlanta. Yes, there's a black young professional circle in Dallas, but it is nothing like Atlanta. I have never seen so many good looking, well-dressed black 20-40 somethings in ANY other major US city.
But if we want Dallas to have a black professional community like Atlanta's, we need more black professionals to move here.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:42 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
But if we want Dallas to have a black professional community like Atlanta's, we need more black professionals to move here.
True, but just saying if I were a single black female in my 30's and wanted to marry an educated black man and have a family (and of course op hasn't told us enough to know if she desires those things), the sheer odds look better in Atlanta than any of the TX cities she mentioned.

To the poster who asked where I've been this week, Buckhead, Midtown (I think?), and Downtown.

Also, FWIW, it's cooler in Atlanta but so much more humid than Dallas ever is. It's just been miserably muggy. Can't wait to get back to the sheer heat of Dallas next week!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas