Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,186 times

Advertisements

From what I understand them gators is thinkin of movin North. They say them Dallas folk in the Trinity are tastey morsels.

BTW a few counties south of us I think it as last month a Dallas lawyer pulled out a 14 ft gator from Trinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
From what I understand them gators is thinkin of movin North. They say them Dallas folk in the Trinity are tastey morsels.

BTW a few counties south of us I think it as last month a Dallas lawyer pulled out a 14 ft gator from Trinity.
It was 2 hours drive south closer to houston.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
I am moving to Little Elm in 2 weeks.... I was googling and I found an article on a dead 10 ft alligator tied up to a tree in Little Elm.

I understand that Alligators are just about everywhere in East and South Texas and they even occasionally are sighted up in the lakes of DFW area.
It is natural and quite frankly, they do not scare me.... they won't bother you if you don't bother them.

My question, how common are Alligator sightings in Lake Lewisville ? And are they typically in the North where that creek/river flows into the lake ? I know they are probably fairly rare, just curious how rare or do people see the little critters floating around at sunset everynight ?
Like everyone else has said on here, seeing them in DFW is VERY RARE. I' am very surprised that one was found in Lake Lewisville. However, there is one place in the Metroplex that is actually a home to a number of them. That would be the Fort Worth Nature Center. Sometimes the gators there end up in Lake Worth, but have apparently never attacked anyone and when they are found in the lake, the are captured, tagged and released back in the Nature Center.

I read an article not too long ago that stated that the DFW area used to be part of the natural habitat for American Alligators and the fact that the number of sightings of them in the outskirts of DFW has increased significantly in recent years maybe a sign of a comback for them in this area.

In fact, I first went to the Nature Center back in 2004, there was no mention whatsoever of alligators on the brochure/map that they gave you. Now if you go to the nature center, Alligators are listed as part of the wildlife that exist at the park. Also, you will see signs down by the marshy areas of the park warning you to be on the look out for them and not to swim in the water. I don't know how many actually live at the park, but I do know that they are there; I have seen many photos of them at the FNC.

You shouldn't worry about Lake Lewisville though. It's hard to imagine how one even got in that lake. Must have crawled all the way from the Nature Center in Fort Worth! lol.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
This isn't nothing a Gator tag and a rifle can't fix anyhow.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM

377 posts, read 684,595 times
I am glad you brought this up;

If I am not mistaken, I think two large Alligators have been either killed or captured in Lake Lewisville recently. Also, there have been numerous deaths and disappearances of more people in that lake compared to others around. This makes me wonder if Alligators, and not just booze, could be responsible for the disappearances and deaths of many people there.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Yes, alligators are native to this area and they are in the area lakes. There have been several spotted in Lewisville Lake in recent years. I believe it was last year someone killed one there. We have also had one down at Tawakoni on our property about 50' from the water and the neighbor shot and killed it. There was one in Lake Ray Hubbard last year or the year before. They ARE out there. Don't be fooled that they are not nor let anyone tell you that they are not native to here. They are! There was also a story awhile back about gators being in a body of water behind a school in Dallas.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 AM

922 posts, read 1,697,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
There was also a story awhile back about gators being in a body of water behind a school in Dallas.
Yeah, that was Maceo in Highland Hills (Southeast Oak Cliff)

Quote:
Nature ran amok at a high school here over summer vacation, bringing alligators, poisonous snakes and bobcats to campus grounds, school officials said Thursday.

Beavers apparently dammed a stream flowing near A. Maceo Smith High School, creating a 15-acre swamp that became home to two alligators that moved in while classes were out for the summer.

Dallas animal control supervisor Tim Hawkins said he has seen two alligators, about 4 to 6 feet long, in the swamp.
School principal Dwain Govan asked animal control to remove the alligators from school property, so they stay off of the football and softball fields.

Heavy rains over the summer caused the swamp to encroach on the fields.
The fences will be up before classes start at month's end. But those students who have returned early for extracurricular activities, such as band member Likiesha Edwards, found something more than the start of fall classes to worry about.
"I think it's very dangerous for football players and people like me in the band to go out there and practice," she said.

Wildlife Swamps Dallas School - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,661 times
its too cold in the winter here for alligators.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
its too cold in the winter here for alligators.
From Wikipedia

American alligators are less susceptible to cold than American Crocodiles. Unlike the American Crocodile, which would quickly succumb to the cold and drown in water of 45 °F (7.2 °C), an alligator can survive in such temperatures for some time without apparent discomfort.[13] It is thought that this adaptiveness is the reason why American alligators spread farther north than the American Crocodile.[13] In fact, the American alligator is found farther from the equator and is more equipped to deal with cooler conditions than any other crocodilian.

There goes THAT theory

Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 PM

217 posts, read 381,818 times
Have been doing some reading, they are definitely up here as others have noted..... in fact, they are all the way up in SouthEastern Oklahoma and apparently even Southern Arkansas.

Although, the populations are much, much thicker the farther you go South. I read where a wildlife ranger said there was close to 1000 alligators in Lake Livingston down towards Houston.

I move into my home on Lewisville Lake in 2 weeks, I'll be keeping my eyes open out for them at nightfall..... probably never see one, but you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas