Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 10,105 times

Advertisements

not bowling ski ball I worked there during high school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,973 times
Default How about these?

As there are 150 pages or so of replies, these have probably been mentioned but bear with me. I'm almost 40, and grew up in Richardson. Both of my grandparents lived in Lakewood, so I remember:

Everything about North Park. Of course, the fountains and Kips. But most of all, the Northpark 1 & 2 General Cinemas. I have not stronger memories than that place. It was where Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, etc. all were during their original theatrical runs (I remember seeing Star Wars at 7 years old like it was yesterday).

I remember Valley View Mall before the extensive renovations and it had this long, bridge kind of ramp in the middle of it.

Wyatt's Cafeterias. M.E. Moses. Pennywhistle Park of course, but who remembers Carousel Raceway by Lochwood?

How about the theaters like Northwood 4 and the Promenade? And what was the place in Promenade Center that was some kind of coney stand? I could go on for hours. I miss the magic of all that.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:58 PM

8 posts, read 17,578 times
Remember when North Lake was a park? Skiing, boating, picnics? And the bands that used to play there on the weekeds in summers?

Anyone remember Northtown Mall? It was located at the sw corner of Josey Ln and 635.

What was the name of that place in or near downtown Dallas that had a roller rink, ice rink, arcade, and movie theaters? Not the thing at the West End. Decades before that.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:52 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasAuntie View Post
Remember when North Lake was a park? Skiing, boating, picnics? And the bands that used to play there on the weekeds in summers?

Anyone remember Northtown Mall? It was located at the sw corner of Josey Ln and 635.

What was the name of that place in or near downtown Dallas that had a roller rink, ice rink, arcade, and movie theaters? Not the thing at the West End. Decades before that.
Yes, I remember the bands that would play out at North Lake. That used to be a popular place to go out to a lake even though you could not get on it.

Yep, grew up in FB and Carrollton. Grew up going to Northtown Mall. We were just talking about it the other day.

That was Love. It was when Love Field closed and was not an airport. Went there a many a time as well.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:02 AM

8 posts, read 17,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, I remember the bands that would play out at North Lake. That used to be a popular place to go out to a lake even though you could not get on it.

Yep, grew up in FB and Carrollton. Grew up going to Northtown Mall. We were just talking about it the other day.

That was Love. It was when Love Field closed and was not an airport. Went there a many a time as well.
Small world, isn't it?

I went to elementary school in Carrollton at Central Elementary, started Jr High at DeWitt Perry, then moved away from Carrollton. My cousins lived in FB and went to - maybe - Cabell Elementary, so there was lots of back and forth between Carrollton and FB.

I don't recall boats not being allowed on North Lake, but I was just a kid when I visited there with any regularity, so my memories of it probably aren't that reliable. I do remember, however, about 15 to 20 years ago, not too many years before it was closed to the public but a good 15 years since I'd last been there, going to North Lake with some friends who took turns riding jet skis on it. Perhaps the boating restriction was lifted or maybe it didn't apply to jet skis/wet bikes. ???

Back to memories of Farmers Branch, do you recall the neon sign at one of the small strip malls/shopping centers with the perpetually burnt-out bulbs/letters "nch?" I can't recall exactly where it was except that it was north of 635 and not too far from Josey. Anyway, thinking back, it seems those letters were always burnt out, leaving the sign to always read "Farmers Bra." Ha!

Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Oh yeah, roller disco, it was spelled LLOVE

From Dallas Love Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
With the drastic reduction in flights and only 467,212 enplanements in 1975[16], Love Field decommissioned several of its concourses. The City of Dallas attempted to make use of these dormant facilities by leasing some of them to an entrepreneur who opened the "Llove Entertainment Complex" in November 1975. The main lobby at the front of a former terminal was transformed into movie theaters, ice rink, roller rink, huge video arcade, restaurants and bowling alley. Llove seemed especially suited for the pre-teen and teen crowd, who could spend the day for a single admission charge of about $3.50. Llove closed in May 1978.[citation needed] Several of the concourses were remodeled into support and training buildings for Southwest Airlines.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,121 times
Amnesia was great... black lights and all. That European crossroads area has since went to the dogs but the building still stands. Think there's a mexican somthin' or other there.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:27 AM

104 posts, read 421,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Oh yeah, roller disco, it was spelled LLOVE

From Dallas Love Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Farmers Branch there was a public pool called I think Valwood public pool and I used to ride my Schwinn Sting Ray Bicycle almost every day from Royal Lane and 35 (Field City) and swim.
My Sister owned The Farmers Branch Florist and I worked there making deliveries when and even before I got my license to drive.
BLD

Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 PM

273 posts, read 700,205 times
this is a great thread!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 AM

104 posts, read 421,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
this is a great thread!
Where is everybody? Nothing added for quite some time.
BLD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas