Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times

Advertisements

The Gibsons grew up in the neighborhood and lived on Swiss Avenue.

I recently told about the EDS corporate Rea Estate VP who visited one of my upper-level RE classes at SMU. We had a marketing VP for Bonanza who came to talk to one of my upper-level marketing classes. He fell right into a sychophantic spiel to the 'rich' SMU students saying how the target market was lower-class people and that he personally would not eat there.

I never ate there after that, either. If that is all he thought of his company, he was not going to get any more of my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 AM

104 posts, read 421,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thpere View Post
I recently moved back to the Dallas area after being gone for 40 years. All these posts bring back so much nostalgia. Since I havent been out Harry Hines I was just wondering if the carhop restaurant with the delicious hamburgers was still there??? I dont recall the name... I do remember The Circle and the Circle theater and the restaurant built like a ship.
Keller's Drive Inn is still there where the good hambergers could be brought out by the car hops. Howard's Grocery was near by.
My Brother came up with the name for the resturant that looked like a ship at the circle was The Bounty.
BLD

Old 08-24-2008, 01:05 AM

13 posts, read 39,093 times
Default Great memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
For you long-time Dallasites..........

Sanger-Harris, Titche-Goettinger, Jas. K. Wilson, Margo's la Mode, The Carriage Shop, Reynold's Penland, just to name a few. As a kid, we did most of our shopping at Sanger's and Titche's. I think our mother always had something on layaway at The Carriage Shop at NorthPark.

Zuider Zee, Ports-o-Call, The Sailmaker, Youngblood's, Jay's Marine Grill. I can still remember the honey and butter on the rolls at Youngblood's and the melt-in-your-mouth onion rolls at Jay's. I think of Jay's Marine Grill everytime I turn right onto Mockingbird leaving Love Field.

Now I'm hungry......
First of all, thanks for starting such a great thread. Some memories that come to mind are...

The drive-in movie theater at the corner of Parker and Central...

Luby's being the only place to eat out in Plano...

Life before Park and Ohio merged to connect Dallas to Plano...

Life before Legacy Drive was built (I still remember when everything past Spring Creek was nothing but grass as far as the eye could see) and started the whole "West Plano" phenomenon (when did that become its own city??)...

Going to see Godzilla flicks with my dad at the only movie theater in Plano...it was right outside of Collin Creek (back when Lord & Taylor was still there)...it only had 3 theaters, and was so small and crappy that you could hear the other movies in the other theaters

Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmom217 View Post
First of all, thanks for starting such a great thread. Some memories that come to mind are...

The drive-in movie theater at the corner of Parker and Central...

Luby's being the only place to eat out in Plano...

Life before Park and Ohio merged to connect Dallas to Plano...

Life before Legacy Drive was built (I still remember when everything past Spring Creek was nothing but grass as far as the eye could see) and started the whole "West Plano" phenomenon (when did that become its own city??)...

Going to see Godzilla flicks with my dad at the only movie theater in Plano...it was right outside of Collin Creek (back when Lord & Taylor was still there)...it only had 3 theaters, and was so small and crappy that you could hear the other movies in the other theaters

It was there BEFORE CC mall was there. Remember seeing Legend of Boggy Creek there when I was a little kid when it was a dollar theatre.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 AM

57 posts, read 414,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmom217 View Post

Was that the one with the crazy-steep stadium seating?

Old 08-30-2008, 07:04 PM

82 posts, read 239,472 times
Wow, what a thread this is. I actually read through all 41 pages and registered for this forum JUST so I could post here! I'm 32 and have lived here most of my life (my family moved to Plano in 1980).

I was reminded of the old Penny Whistle Park this morning, and then realized I live pretty close to the old place!

I saw a few mentions of the old restaurant called Next Door. I used to LOVE going there as a kid! Can anyone give me any more info on the location, what's there now, when it closed, etc? Any pictures of the place?

I seem to remember they had the best fries! I also seem to remember the sign outside having a rather odd cartoonish picture of a person with an odd grimacing smile of some sort. I think I also remember them giving us kids balloons, but rather than being on string, they were attached to a stick.

Two other memories:

I saw some mention of "Pipes and Pizza" but I always knew it as "Pipe Organ Pizza". Maybe this was a different place, or I just called it that?

Also, I remember falling asleep on Sunday nights listening to Dr Demento on the Zew (Along with the Lost Lennon Tapes, and I think they also carried The Hour of Slack?) and remember hearing ads for an automotive performance shop that was constantly hocking some supercharger kit they had. I think it was called The Super Shop or something like that?

Thanks for jogging my memory!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:56 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung View Post
Hour of Slack?) and remember hearing ads for an automotive performance shop that was constantly hocking some supercharger kit they had. I think it was called The Super Shop or something like that?

Thanks for jogging my memory!
I remember those old Super Shop radio ads well. They would talk about the weeks specials, and what they carried. Then they would go into some spiel about their locations, which for whatever reason I can always remember them saying Hurst, and River Oaks (which I believe is Houston). Then some woman in a sexy voice would chime in with "super shops because everyone deserves performance"

Old 08-31-2008, 07:07 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:

I saw some mention of "Pipes and Pizza" but I always knew it as "Pipe Organ Pizza". Maybe this was a different place, or I just called it that?
There was a "Pizza and Pipes" at Northwest Highway and Abrams. We would always request Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor (from the old Phantom of the Opera movie, not Andrew Loyd Weber) The earliest business at that location that I remember was a "Shakey's." P&P became Godfather's Pizza. That is gone, as well.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:50 PM

93 posts, read 397,073 times
Quote:
I saw a few mentions of the old restaurant called Next Door. I used to LOVE going there as a kid! Can anyone give me any more info on the location, what's there now, when it closed, etc? Any pictures of the place?
I used to work at the Next Door Restaurant on Beltline Rd. in Carrollton as a teenager. As I recall there was a location in Richardson and one by White Rock Lake but I never visted those locations.

I still occasionally mention it to people who grew up in Dallas but I hardly ever meet anyone who remembers it.

The whole theme of the restaurant was the Revolutionary War. Everything was red, white and blue and there where paintings of war scenes and early American history on the walls next to most tables.

The fries were the first curly fries I remember seeing and they were cut fresh daily. Onion rings were also made fresh but everything else was frozen.

You placed your order from your table via a red phone and they called you to pick it up when it was ready.

I wish I could recall some of the names of the dishes but my mind is failing. I think there may have been a Carrie-Nation salad or something like that.

I'm sure that it's the same with almost every restaurant but if you knew some of the stuff that went on there you wouldn't have been pleased to eat there.

That's all I can remember right now but maybe someone else will say something that will trigger my memory.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:16 PM

82 posts, read 239,472 times
Well, we lived in Plano, so we most likely went to the Richardson location, wherever that was.

The Revolutionary War theme sounds about right. I remember lots of red and white. The "cartoonish" figures I mentioned had sort of a "military guard" appearance to them. The phone and decor sound vaguely familiar.

Am I right about the balloons on sticks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas