Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times

Advertisements

Clarice Tinsley

Jaqueline _____________

Q102 and all of the bumper stickers for every band that came to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 11:13 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 847,317 times
If we're talking about Mr. Peppermint don't forget his trusty sidekick Muffin!!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,811,245 times
Holy crap I've never felt nostalgic for my time decades ago in Dallas.

Until now.

I remember Sanger Harris, Titches (sp?), Skaggs Alpha-Beta...

Love Field: Never went to the entertainment complex, but my dad would take us to a German themed place there... Schnapps and Snacks or something??

We lived off Spring Valley Rd... Northwood Hills 4 (saw Star Wars there for the first time in 1977), Bill's Records & Tapes (that still around?), and a couple of pizza places that sound kinda like some being described: Pizza Junction (train theme, had a little theatre playing 3 stooges movies), and some Pipe-Organ pizza place.

I remember Olla Padrida as a kid, seems like such an interesting place. I remember the "no kids allowed" apartment complexes nearby Coit/635. And the Playboy club, I guess... a tall building off central with the Playboy logo on it! I always figured that's where the Dallas Cowboy players hang out, parking their silver and blue mako-shark 'vettes in the parking garage.

As for TV... I remember channel 5 or 8 had live monkey races , maybe as a tie-in with the "Lance Link" tv show for kids... that's something you won't see today. I remember visiting channel 8 as a school field trip, playing with the blue screen in the weather department.

I remember listening to Q102 and 98 KZEW as a kid, writing them, and getting a bunch of those ZOO stickers in the mail for me and my friends. I still have a few to this day!

In the late 70's, early 80's our family (parent's were TI employees) got a free TI home computer... I soon learned about modems, and as a middle school kid got way deep into the BBS culture. Before the internet, there was a thriving online community in Dallas...

memories!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,218,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Holy crap I've never felt nostalgic for my time decades ago in Dallas.

Until now.

I remember Sanger Harris, Titches (sp?), Skaggs Alpha-Beta...

Love Field: Never went to the entertainment complex, but my dad would take us to a German themed place there... Schnapps and Snacks or something??

We lived off Spring Valley Rd... Northwood Hills 4 (saw Star Wars there for the first time in 1977), Bill's Records & Tapes (that still around?), and a couple of pizza places that sound kinda like some being described: Pizza Junction (train theme, had a little theatre playing 3 stooges movies), and some Pipe-Organ pizza place.

I remember Olla Padrida as a kid, seems like such an interesting place. I remember the "no kids allowed" apartment complexes nearby Coit/635. And the Playboy club, I guess... a tall building off central with the Playboy logo on it! I always figured that's where the Dallas Cowboy players hang out, parking their silver and blue mako-shark 'vettes in the parking garage.

As for TV... I remember channel 5 or 8 had live monkey races , maybe as a tie-in with the "Lance Link" tv show for kids... that's something you won't see today. I remember visiting channel 8 as a school field trip, playing with the blue screen in the weather department.

I remember listening to Q102 and 98 KZEW as a kid, writing them, and getting a bunch of those ZOO stickers in the mail for me and my friends. I still have a few to this day!

In the late 70's, early 80's our family (parent's were TI employees) got a free TI home computer... I soon learned about modems, and as a middle school kid got way deep into the BBS culture. Before the internet, there was a thriving online community in Dallas...

memories!
Bills is still around, and you can still find Bill himself behind the counter most everyday. He moved recently, though I can't recall the location of the new store.

My dad worked for TI from 79-82. I was a baby/toddler at the time but I remember there was a toy called Touch and Tell that they gave my dad. There was another computer as well, I think it was called a TI 1000 that used the TV screen as a monitor.

We had computers in our home way before most people. Because of that my computer knowledge was light years ahead of my peers. We had to take a computer literacy class in 8th grade, needless to say it was a piece of cake.

I used to have a KZEW shirt in H.S., long after the station went off the air. I remember the day Q102 changed formats. Anyone remember a short lived heavy metal station called Z Rock?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
I wish I could find a KZEW sticker. A classmate of mine (radio name Nancy Johnson) used to DJ there. She now does traffic reports on KLIF (which is now 570!!!).

Anyhow, she knows the whole music scene and sometimes she will take me to exotic out of the way places to hear new bands.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 PM

506 posts, read 2,142,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Hey, gang, let's see if you remember some TV names from the past. For some of you, I'm going to go waaaaaaay back.

Channel 4 (when it had CBS)- Ray Walker, Judy Jordan, Eddie Barker, Warren Culbertson, Lee Martin, Judd Hambrick, Tony Garcia, Dick Johnson, Jay Ruffin, Frank Glieber, Dick Risenhoover, Roger Twibell, Wayne Shattuck, Jack Harrison, Barry Judge, Dennis Monson.

Channel 5 - Russ Bloxom, Ward Andrews, Harold Taft, Boyd Matson, Lee Elsesser, Frank Mills, Bobbie Wygant, Jane Jayroe, Dave Layman, Brad Wright, Roy Eaton, Ron Spain, Ron Godbey, Mary Ruth Carleton, Bill Kelley.

Channel 8 - Bob Gooding, Murphy Martin, Verne Lundquist, Dale Milford, Don Harris, Suzie Humphreys, Jack Van Roy, Rene Castilla, Ray Gaskin, John Criswell, Judi Hanna, Blaine Smith, Ed Hogan.

Channel 11 (when it was independent)- John Whitson, Durwood Rowell, Howard McNeil, Doug Carter, Robin Johnson, Icky Twerp, Jim Newton.

Any of them ring a bell??
Icky Twerp! OMG. I watched Slam Bang Theater every morning while I ate breakfast before school. Channel 11 ("Lively 11!") was so tacky back then. Icky Twerp, the guys in gorilla masks and The Three Stooges - no better way to start the day!!! That's probably why I'm so cultured and sophisticated - lol!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 PM

264 posts, read 1,181,011 times
Eagle 97 rrrrrrooocks the metroplex!! Remember the commercials? The chick in the shower?

My sister worked for Q102.

Isn't Mr. Peppermint's son in some punk band? Maybe the Butthole Surfers? Dead Kennedy's? I'll have to look it up.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:22 PM

He's in the Butthole Surfers -- or was -- his name is Gibby I think.

And one of those guys in the gorilla masks with Icky was named Ajax.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Got this in an email recently:

"Jerry Haynes, “Mr. Peppermint,” Woodrow class of 1944, will be inducted into the Lone Star chapter of the Emmy Award’s Silver Circle on September 27, 2007, during a luncheon at the Nasher Sculpture Garden.

The Silver Circle was established by the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences to recognize outstanding individuals who have devoted a quarter of a century or more to the television industry and have made a significant contribution to television broadcasting. Jerry certainly fits into that category".

Old 09-14-2007, 05:25 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,811,245 times
Watching ACL fest over here reminded me of another thing I used to like in Dallas, which is no more...

Texas JAM! Back in the day when general admission at rock festivals meant no such thing as a sell-out. ACL fest is capped at 75K or something, sold out months in advance.

MaryS80 - Most of my friends growing up also received reduced price / free TI computers (seemed like they employed everyone in the area), way before they were common in the home. I think we got ours when I was 9.. it was a huge advantage that has shaped my life though today. That was an amazing thing TI did, I wonder if anyone has ever studied what effect that had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas