U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2009, 05:01 PM

7,796 posts, read 6,655,005 times

Advertisements

I got hay there for my rabbit, as well. I moved to Dallas in '67 and was too young for several years even, to go into bars. I am sure someone will remember the nightclub. Standy-by and someone will come up with it. I need to dig up some of my site assesments from the area. As part of the assessment process, I review historical aerial photos. They go back to the early 1940s. I might be able to see the stables.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM

16,005 posts, read 26,121,774 times
Studebaker's was probably the bar -- I liked In Cahoots next door much better! Also there was a place called Packard's in Old Town so sometimes it's confusing.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Studebaker's was probably the bar -- I liked In Cahoots next door much better! Also there was a place called Packard's in Old Town so sometimes it's confusing.
Oh yeah, now I remember those. Didn't go to them but I would see them from Central, or maybe when I went to North Park 3&4. Was in near Houlihans? These are all on the south side of park. And how many times did the bar/club at Caruth Plaza change names. I remember Daddy's Money. I also remember Luther's at Campbell Center, but no one was dancing on that bar. hehe. They were a little uppity.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 PM

16,005 posts, read 26,121,774 times
Yes down from Houlihan's -- I remember the first time going there - in high school I think - we thought it was a more grown-up TGI Friday's (you have to know that at that time they were of the first couple of restauarants which would later become a big chain).

Actually the place you are talking about was Borrowed Money --then wasn't it Tumbleweed or something? I think the old Whiskey River/Diamond Jim's crowd from Greenville migrated up there and got that going..

Daddy's Money was in Old Town on Greenville near the second TGI Friday's in the world.
HP Cassiday's was behind there...Cafe Dallas came later (had a big stained glass butterfly behind the dance floor like Cooter's in Houston). Flanigan's on Walnut Hill was sort of in-between. Confetti came later..

Old 09-17-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yes down from Houlihan's -- I remember the first time going there - in high school I think - we thought it was a more grown-up TGI Friday's (you have to know that at that time they were of the first couple of restauarants which would later become a big chain).

Actually the place you are talking about was Borrowed Money --then wasn't it Tumbleweed or something? I think the old Whiskey River/Diamond Jim's crowd from Greenville migrated up there and got that going..

Daddy's Money was in Old Town on Greenville near the second TGI Friday's in the world.
HP Cassiday's was behind there...Cafe Dallas came later (had a big stained glass butterfly behind the dance floor like Cooter's in Houston). Flanigan's on Walnut Hill was sort of in-between. Confetti came later..
Borrowed money, from Daddy. LOL Hard to keep these straight, especially since I never frequented them. Cooter's? Wasn't that a camera store in Old town? Cooter's Village? I remember driving south on greenville one stormy night in the 80's to meet one of my engineers at Confetti's or some real popular club at Lover's and Greenville area. SE quadrant. I almost missed the turn at lovers because that storm had blown over the big neon Big Tex at the liquor store. That was my landmark for that intersection. I drive into the parking lot and notice big air ducts littering the parking lot, in 1-2" of standing water. I walk to the from and see that the valet box with all the car keys had been destroyed scattering people's car keys all over the area, in a couple inches of standing water. I walked inside, no power at all, could see anything really to speak of. But I could hear water coming it through the ceiling all around me. I never met up with the guy. I had just missed a tornado touching down at that intersection.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 AM

104 posts, read 258,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDallasGal View Post
I was too young to remember where the stables were exactly. My mom drove me there. I only remember that it was on Greenville Avenue. Wow, what a change that area has made! I think I remember the Vickory Feed store, though. I raised guinea pigs and sold them to pet stores when I was about 11, I think. We got loose hay there. My GP's loved the hay. Do you remember the name of the nightclub on Central and Park? I used to frequent that place alot. It wasn't very big, and it had a fairly professional crowd. During certain songs, the waitresses would dance on the bar top. It had a 50's theme, I think.
I remember the Bacgammon clubs on Greenville back in the 70's.
BLD

Old 09-19-2009, 09:47 AM

14 posts, read 38,964 times
Default Night Club:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Borrowed money, from Daddy. LOL Hard to keep these straight, especially since I never frequented them. Cooter's? Wasn't that a camera store in Old town? Cooter's Village? I remember driving south on greenville one stormy night in the 80's to meet one of my engineers at Confetti's or some real popular club at Lover's and Greenville area. SE quadrant. I almost missed the turn at lovers because that storm had blown over the big neon Big Tex at the liquor store. That was my landmark for that intersection. I drive into the parking lot and notice big air ducts littering the parking lot, in 1-2" of standing water. I walk to the from and see that the valet box with all the car keys had been destroyed scattering people's car keys all over the area, in a couple inches of standing water. I walked inside, no power at all, could see anything really to speak of. But I could hear water coming it through the ceiling all around me. I never met up with the guy. I had just missed a tornado touching down at that intersection.
LouAnn's was at Greenville and Lovers. Popular with the HS crowd. Skillerns sold out to Revco which didn't last long.

Harrell's was my favorite place because we could flirt with the waitresses, and they would flirt back. The fountain was operated by Mr. Johnson and Mr. Henry who later opened a Carnation store on Oak Lawn. It is now Snuffy's I think.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 4,034,532 times
Remember these?

Nope, sorry.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Remember these?

Nope, sorry.

Welcome to the area. Make yourself at home

Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,616 times
Default Skatepark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliansage View Post
Trying to find anyone who remembers where the old skate park was off of Forest Ln and what it was called. It was either at Forest and Jupiter or Forest and Plano Rd. I remember going there in the 70's with my parents and watching people skate.
I believe it was called Wizard Park or something like that. My 2 older brothers used to skate there. I grew up skating in the 80's but I remember having a blown up picture of the place.....gone now though...its like the place just vanished from history. Weird your post is the only thing I could find on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas