Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 AM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times

Advertisements

I found an aircheck of Ron Chapman's morning show from KVIL from 1988.

Here is a link to it, as there was little music on it:

Ron Chapman, KVIL Dallas | March, 1988 : Airchexx.com (http://airchexx.com/markets/dallas/ron-chapman-kvil-dallas-march-1988 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,858 times
What times we had in the smoking section at LHHS!

Remember Fun Palace and Hardies?

Old 10-24-2009, 04:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas retired View Post
What times we had in the smoking section at LHHS!

Remember Fun Palace and Hardies?
I remember that fenced-in concrete slab of a smoking section. It would get covered in butts. I can't even imagine having that anymore.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:12 PM

273 posts, read 700,544 times
I think many Schools had Smoking sections and even in the 70’s in rural places like Plano chewing tobacco and Dip was often very common
Plano East High School had a gun range under their gym for students, and I am sure after the rash of school shootings it was converted to storage

Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 PM

Does anyone remember the blue laser light that they use to shine skyward off a building at the toll road at LBJ? This would be in the late 80’s

Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 AM

104 posts, read 421,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
I think many Schools had Smoking sections and even in the 70’s in rural places like Plano chewing tobacco and Dip was often very common
Plano East High School had a gun range under their gym for students, and I am sure after the rash of school shootings it was converted to storage
WT White had such a smoking area behind the school. One time during lunch a bunch of streakers ran around the corner of a house behind the school and one fell down turning a corner into the alley.
BLD

Old 10-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney lee douglas View Post
WT White had such a smoking area behind the school. One time during lunch a bunch of streakers ran around the corner of a house behind the school and one fell down turning a corner into the alley.
BLD

You seem to know a great deal about those streakers, sure you weren’t one of them? : J/K

Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 AM

104 posts, read 421,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W James III View Post
You seem to know a great deal about those streakers, sure you weren’t one of them? : J/K
no comment

Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 33,922 times
Great site! Read all 96 pages.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 PM

9 posts, read 33,922 times
Before Medallion or anything else was built around Abrams and NWHW [loop 12] my brother Pat,me and my cousins used to ride horses there. My Aunt Ann owned alot of the land in that area as did a man named Caruth. She owned a large house at the end of what is now Lovers Ln. Back then that part of Lovers was "Anthony Ln." She built the street and named it after my dad A.A.[Marty] Martinkus . Her and my uncle Lou built all the houses - about 10 I think -along the street and would only rent them to returning WWII armed service members who had, or were expecting, a child.
There was a Cabells Mart on the east side Abrams [which later became a 7-11] just south of the intersection with NWHW. There was a funeral home on the south side of NWHW about where Shakey's Pizza was later built. I believe it was "Crane Funeral Home" As a Kid I have a recollection of this rickety one lane bridge that had a slight turn in it that I think was on Abrams just north of NWHW.
Aunt Ann [now deceased] and Uncle Lou also founded and owned LouAnn's until about 1975. Uncle Lou died in I think 1952, so most of the growth of the night club was due to Aunt Ann's enterprise. Lou and Ann had 4 children ; Chelle, who still lives in the, Dallas area ,Tony, who lives in California and Phillip and Louis who are deceased. The club was on the SE corner of Lovers and Greenville. The Roma Motel was eventually diagonally across the intersection, there was a liquor store just south of the club on the same side of Greenville. In the early 70's the take out pizza kitchen called "To-Go" was opened on the Lovers Ln. side and was operated mostly by cousin Phillip. Across the street was a "Pitch-and-Put" golf. Lee Travino worked there and Phil and My brother Pat would sneak over there when they were supposed to be selling pizza and play golf with Lee. Lee played against them using a Dr Pepper bottle as a club and still beat them!
Also across the road was a stable and boarding for horses. That may be the horse rental that a previous blogger asked about thinking it was on Greenville. Of course that was all just open fields around there then until you got down to Abrams Rd. There might very well have been other stables on Greenville Ave. Aunt Ann had her own stable with horses, corral and lots of room to ride.
My dad worked for Ed Maher Ford, downtown on Harwood, [420 I believe]He would work some Sundays when the dealership was closed and took me and Pat downtown with him. We would wander the streets looking for mischief. We climbed the unfinished Sheritan and Southland Life buildings. Pat broke his arm sliding down the strip between the escalators going to the basement of one of them. It's a miracle we are alive.
I was in the Doctors library of Parkland Hospital, which was just inside the emergency room, on Nov 22, 1963 but I'll share that another time.
Thanks for letting me regress and forgive me my errors. It's been over 30 years since I lived there.
Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas