Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 01:56 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from Garland View Post
Before Medallion or anything else was built around Abrams and NWHW [loop 12] my brother Pat,me and my cousins used to ride horses there. My Aunt Ann owned alot of the land in that area as did a man named Caruth. She owned a large house at the end of what is now Lovers Ln. Back then that part of Lovers was "Anthony Ln." She built the street and named it after my dad A.A.[Marty] Martinkus . Her and my uncle Lou built all the houses - about 10 I think -along the street and would only rent them to returning WWII armed service members who had, or were expecting, a child.
There was a Cabells Mart on the east side Abrams [which later became a 7-11] just south of the intersection with NWHW. There was a funeral home on the south side of NWHW about where Shakey's Pizza was later built. I believe it was "Crane Funeral Home" As a Kid I have a recollection of this rickety one lane bridge that had a slight turn in it that I think was on Abrams just north of NWHW.
Aunt Ann [now deceased] and Uncle Lou also founded and owned LouAnn's until about 1975. Uncle Lou died in I think 1952, so most of the growth of the night club was due to Aunt Ann's enterprise. Lou and Ann had 4 children ; Chelle, who still lives in the, Dallas area ,Tony, who lives in California and Phillip and Louis who are deceased. The club was on the SE corner of Lovers and Greenville. The Roma Motel was eventually diagonally across the intersection, there was a liquor store just south of the club on the same side of Greenville. In the early 70's the take out pizza kitchen called "To-Go" was opened on the Lovers Ln. side and was operated mostly by cousin Phillip. Across the street was a "Pitch-and-Put" golf. Lee Travino worked there and Phil and My brother Pat would sneak over there when they were supposed to be selling pizza and play golf with Lee. Lee played against them using a Dr Pepper bottle as a club and still beat them!
Also across the road was a stable and boarding for horses. That may be the horse rental that a previous blogger asked about thinking it was on Greenville. Of course that was all just open fields around there then until you got down to Abrams Rd. There might very well have been other stables on Greenville Ave. Aunt Ann had her own stable with horses, corral and lots of room to ride.
My dad worked for Ed Maher Ford, downtown on Harwood, [420 I believe]He would work some Sundays when the dealership was closed and took me and Pat downtown with him. We would wander the streets looking for mischief. We climbed the unfinished Sheritan and Southland Life buildings. Pat broke his arm sliding down the strip between the escalators going to the basement of one of them. It's a miracle we are alive.
I was in the Doctors library of Parkland Hospital, which was just inside the emergency room, on Nov 22, 1963 but I'll share that another time.
Thanks for letting me regress and forgive me my errors. It's been over 30 years since I lived there.
Mike
I think I may know your sister-in-law, if her name is Anne. And, did your family own property on Cedar Creek lake for a number of years?

Used to hang out a lot at LouAnn's, as well as Shakey's (Andy Stacio was the godfather of a good friend I hung with back in the 70's). Back then my girlfriend kept her horses at some stables near Church Rd. and Skillman. We'd put them in the trailer and take them out to White Rock Lake on Sunday afternoons sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 04:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Before Medallion or anything else was built around Abrams and NWHW [loop 12] my brother Pat,me and my cousins used to ride horses there. My Aunt Ann owned alot of the land in that area as did a man named Caruth. She owned a large house at the end of what is now Lovers Ln. Back then that part of Lovers was "Anthony Ln." She built the street and named it after my dad A.A.[Marty] Martinkus . Her and my uncle Lou built all the houses - about 10 I think -along the street and would only rent them to returning WWII armed service members who had, or were expecting, a child.
There was a Cabells Mart on the east side Abrams [which later became a 7-11] just south of the intersection with NWHW. There was a funeral home on the south side of NWHW about where Shakey's Pizza was later built. I believe it was "Crane Funeral Home" As a Kid I have a recollection of this rickety one lane bridge that had a slight turn in it that I think was on Abrams just north of NWHW.
Aunt Ann [now deceased] and Uncle Lou also founded and owned LouAnn's until about 1975. Uncle Lou died in I think 1952, so most of the growth of the night club was due to Aunt Ann's enterprise. Lou and Ann had 4 children ; Chelle, who still lives in the, Dallas area ,Tony, who lives in California and Phillip and Louis who are deceased. The club was on the SE corner of Lovers and Greenville. The Roma Motel was eventually diagonally across the intersection, there was a liquor store just south of the club on the same side of Greenville. In the early 70's the take out pizza kitchen called "To-Go" was opened on the Lovers Ln. side and was operated mostly by cousin Phillip. Across the street was a "Pitch-and-Put" golf. Lee Travino worked there and Phil and My brother Pat would sneak over there when they were supposed to be selling pizza and play golf with Lee. Lee played against them using a Dr Pepper bottle as a club and still beat them!
Also across the road was a stable and boarding for horses. That may be the horse rental that a previous blogger asked about thinking it was on Greenville. Of course that was all just open fields around there then until you got down to Abrams Rd. There might very well have been other stables on Greenville Ave. Aunt Ann had her own stable with horses, corral and lots of room to ride.
My dad worked for Ed Maher Ford, downtown on Harwood, [420 I believe]He would work some Sundays when the dealership was closed and took me and Pat downtown with him. We would wander the streets looking for mischief. We climbed the unfinished Sheritan and Southland Life buildings. Pat broke his arm sliding down the strip between the escalators going to the basement of one of them. It's a miracle we are alive.
I was in the Doctors library of Parkland Hospital, which was just inside the emergency room, on Nov 22, 1963 but I'll share that another time.
Thanks for letting me regress and forgive me my errors. It's been over 30 years since I lived there.
Mike

So great to read all that...I remember some of it but LouAnn's was a little before my time - or I was too young to really know about it. Didn't Ann die in the mid-1980s? Not many folks remember anything about the Roma Motel and "Spyder".

Wasn't that driving range later named Hardy's? I can remember the horses where Old Town Shopping Center was built. I was thinking they played polo there -- probably Norman Brinker was one as I went to Lakewood Elementary with his daughters.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:21 PM

9 posts, read 33,910 times
Anne is married to my brother Pat. They still live in Garland. I think you are correct about the golf place being named Hardy.
When Ann sold Louanns to the Angus Wynn family , she moved up to her "Farm" at Pilot Point. Phil moved up there also. She had a driller come in to drill a water well for her but he hit gas instead. She was ticked off - said she needed water not gas. They came in and put up a derrick with the mud pond for drill mud and my cousin Louie promptly drove Ann's bulldozer into it up to the seat.
I hate to admit that I don't remember what year she died.I think it was early '90's. She is burried at Calvary Hill Cemetery there in Dallas with the rest of my family including my 2 sisters that died before any of the rest of us were born. It was during WW II. My dad was off in the army and my mother lived in a house that was on Louann's property. The house caught fire and burned with both Tony age 4 and Judy age 2, inside. I never could get much of the story out of any of the elders about that tragedy. I guess it was just too painfull to talk about and after having daughters myself, I can understand - sort of. Nothing that could happen to you in your lifetime could come close to the anguish of loosing a little child like that, nothing.
Ann knew Jack Ruby for years. She said she never liked him or thought much of him. He was all hat and no cattle. She talked to The Colonel once about booking Elvis in the late '50's but he wanted too much money. Same thing with the Beatles. She had Lawrence welk there one New Years Eve and said she thought she had about 6,000 customers that night. During integration we would tell the blacks who came in that it was a "Private Party" and send them to the Garden room area for the "Public" admission. Of course the only people in that area were blacks..She booked about every big band there was at the time but I don't remember but a few of the names - Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Gene Crupa, Harry james - big band was before my time. I was born in '48. I remember seeing The Turtles, Jimmy Reed and Ray Price. My cousin Tony remembers more than me - he was a few years older.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:29 AM

264 posts, read 701,690 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Roma Motel sign was still up a few years ago. Haven't been around there enough recently to notice if it was torn down.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:53 PM

The resturant "ship" on loop 12 was "The Bounty". Ate there many times. Favorite dish was Flounder in wine sauce. First place I ever saw a "Yard" of ale. Also ate a few times at the Chineese place at Bachman Lake. I don't recall the name but they advertised Cantoneese [sp] food. Sweet and sour pork mmmm.
Anyone remember Fred Oakley Motors at Zangs and Davis? Southwest Chrysler Plymouth on Lemmon near the airport? How about Ma Brands? The riots downtown on Texas/OU weekends? We could start a whole separate blog on that last one. Can you imagine the stories? I could contribute a half chapter myself. Some of those made Mardi Gras look like Bible school.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:04 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
The resturant "ship" on loop 12 was "The Bounty". Ate there many times. Favorite dish was Flounder in wine sauce. First place I ever saw a "Yard" of ale. Also ate a few times at the Chineese place at Bachman Lake. I don't recall the name but they advertised Cantoneese [sp] food. Sweet and sour pork mmmm.
Anyone remember Fred Oakley Motors at Zangs and Davis? Southwest Chrysler Plymouth on Lemmon near the airport? How about Ma Brands? The riots downtown on Texas/OU weekends? We could start a whole separate blog on that last one. Can you imagine the stories? I could contribute a half chapter myself. Some of those made Mardi Gras look like Bible school.
I was thinking that the there was a restaurant "ship" located on the old Harry Hines Circle, and it was called the "Zider Zee"? Remember Yet Lau over on Lovers Lane just off of NW Highway? That was my in-laws' favorite place in the world to eat.

There were lots of dealerships over on Lemmon and Inwood near Love Field including Freeman Olds, Freeman Mazda, Eagle Lincoln Mercury, etc. And I remember when Friendly Chevrolet bought the old Cotton Bowling Palace on Inwood and converted it into a parts house. Never got thrown in the can during Texas/OU parties and riots downtown, but came close once.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I was thinking that the there was a restaurant "ship" located on the old Harry Hines Circle, and it was called the "Zider Zee"? Remember Yet Lau over on Lovers Lane just off of NW Highway? That was my in-laws' favorite place in the world to eat.

There were lots of dealerships over on Lemmon and Inwood near Love Field including Freeman Olds, Freeman Mazda, Eagle Lincoln Mercury, etc. And I remember when Friendly Chevrolet bought the old Cotton Bowling Palace on Inwood and converted it into a parts house. Never got thrown in the can during Texas/OU parties and riots downtown, but came close once.
Zuider Zee was on Denton Dr.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Zuider Zee was on Denton Dr.
Yes, I lived across Denton from it and my grandfathers church was on the corner of Inwood and Denton. LOVED that place.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:38 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I remember the Chrysler dealership in Oak Cliff but I cannot think of the name of the Pontiac one which was just over the river --also I am forgetting the name of the little shop near there where they had the best bargains on good cowboy boots...

Old 11-17-2009, 12:27 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I was thinking that the there was a restaurant "ship" located on the old Harry Hines Circle, and it was called the "Zider Zee"?
The "ship" on the Harry Hines Circle was called "The Bounty", just down the road a piece from the "Southern Kitchen" (I loved that place). The Zuider Zee I remember was in Medallion Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas