U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 PM

455 posts, read 1,879,037 times

Advertisements

For you long-time Dallasites..........

Sanger-Harris, Titche-Goettinger, Jas. K. Wilson, Margo's la Mode, The Carriage Shop, Reynold's Penland, just to name a few. As a kid, we did most of our shopping at Sanger's and Titche's. I think our mother always had something on layaway at The Carriage Shop at NorthPark.

Zuider Zee, Ports-o-Call, The Sailmaker, Youngblood's, Jay's Marine Grill. I can still remember the honey and butter on the rolls at Youngblood's and the melt-in-your-mouth onion rolls at Jay's. I think of Jay's Marine Grill everytime I turn right onto Mockingbird leaving Love Field.

Now I'm hungry......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 08:37 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,858,000 times
Remember when Albertsons was Skaggs Albertson and then Skaggs Alpha Beta and then Albertsons?

Remember the Next Door restaurant where you had a phone on your table and you called your order into the kitchen?

Remember when Valley View Mall was just a Sears store?

Remember Olla Padrida?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 PM

418 posts, read 1,634,515 times
The old Dr. Pepper plant on Mockingbird.

Northpark when it was almost all one level.

Dan's Cafe in Lakewood.

Matt's Rancho Martinez - in the original location.

Prestonwood actually used to be a mall.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,241,906 times
Sanger-Harris, Titche-Goettinger, Jas. K. Wilson, Margo's la Mode, The Carriage Shop, Reynold's Penland, just to name a few. As a kid, we did most of our shopping at Sanger's and Titche's. I think our mother always had something on layaway at The Carriage Shop at NorthPark.

OH yes I do. Sanger-Harris at Valley View Mall. Bought a brand new pair of tennis shoes and back then they always asked the kids if you wanted to wear them. They got caught on the escalator and had one scared little girl attached. Titche's - the one on Preston Rd that was in the corner of the shopping center. Bought my first Pet Rock there. Margo's - oh geez, these place was still around when I was in college. The one at NorthTown Mall was closest for me.

Zuider Zee, Ports-o-Call, The Sailmaker, Youngblood's, Jay's Marine Grill. I can still remember the honey and butter on the rolls at Youngblood's and the melt-in-your-mouth onion rolls at Jay's. I think of Jay's Marine Grill everytime I turn right onto Mockingbird leaving Love Field.

Zuider Zee- there was one on Denton Dr right across from the railroad tracks where we lived for a while, grandparents down the street and the church my grandfather pastored a block away. LOVED their hushpuppies (I know where to buy those by the case and have a bag in the freezer right now - oh gosh, I'm hungry now for some hot hushpuppies and butter).

Remember when Albertsons was Skaggs Albertson and then Skaggs Alpha Beta and then Albertsons?

Had a relative that moved to Amarillo from Dallas and they were Alpha Beta there before we were. Then the merger. What about Tom Thumb? The character. Kroger's colors were brown, gold and rust.

Remember the Next Door restaurant where you had a phone on your table and you called your order into the kitchen?

And their ice cream hot fudge cake. YUM!!!!! Lived to go there. I had a date take me there one night and it was the first time he tried chicken fried steak. YUCK! There are MUCH better places for that and yes, he was a ... shhh, yankee Just a date, I did not marry him

Remember when Valley View Mall was just a Sears store?
YES!!!!!

Remember Olla Padrida?
Had a seamstress there we used. Not only JUST Olla Podrida but how about Starfest? Saw George Strait, The Beach Boys and several others there over the years.

The old Dr. Pepper plant on Mockingbird.
And took a tour of it on a field trip. There and the Hostess plant over by Love Field and the Mrs. Bairds plant.

I remember going there all the time w/ my mom or grandparents. The ducks were always a treat and throwing pennies in the fountain.

Dan's Cafe in Lakewood.

Matt's Rancho Martinez - in the original location.
Oh yes!

Prestonwood actually used to be a mall.
The ice rink and the bridge across it. N-M's Last Call Sale's there. How about when it was announced to be built. Everyone thought Valley View would shutter up and be gone. The only reason I'm glad it is gone is one of the worst crimes committed there was done by one of my schoolmates and our parents are great friends . I think it being gone has helped take away the stigma in some way.

How about these:

Love Field when there were no planes flying in and out. Bowling, movie theater, ice skating, arcade. It was a great place to hang out.

Northtown Mall. Mentioned this earlier. It was nice to have close by.

The diner inside Montgomery Wards stores and KMart stores.

Woolworths in Preston Center

Sanger-Harris in Preston Center

Glad the little huts for the tollbooths along the original sections of the tollroad are still there. Stories of getting caught at the toll booth w/ no money and the person telling you to just bring it the next day. Heck, they knew you by name.

The outdoor "map" of the United States that was done in the NW corner of where LBJ and DNT meet. You could go walk thru it and see different aspects in a way. Mini mountains, bridges, gorges, etc.

The Treasury Stores. Remember going to the one on Midway at LBJ. They had the first "superstore" concept going w/ an auto service center too along w/ the grocery store. The conveyor belt for groceries too.

Western Auto stores carrying bicycles. Got my first bike there.

Sears toy dept at Valley View Mall. Mom would park by the entrance nearest the toy section and go in those doors and leave us kids in the toy section to go shop. Tons of kids playing w/ no parental supervision all under control - not today.

Southern Maid donuts were THE BEST! They beat the heck out of KK.

The El Fenix Cafeteria on Forest at Webbs Chapel.

Polar Bear Ice Cream stores.

Shakey's Pizza.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 AM

791 posts, read 2,016,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
Northpark is the only mall I will go into but haven't been there in a couple of years. Until last week when I went to see the '....Ultimatum'. Nice theatre. I will usually only go to indy movie houses.

Imagine my surprise, had no idea where I was. I'm sad Lord & Taylor is gone, it's the only store that has ever had my style and fit, right off the rack.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:23 AM

5,392 posts, read 21,382,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

How about these:

Love Field when there were no planes flying in and out. Bowling, movie theater, ice skating, arcade. It was a great place to hang out.

When was that? Love was very busy with commercial traffic until '74 when DFW opened but general aviation has always been busy and SW started flying in '71 so I don't ever remember a time when there were no planes.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 AM

I was a teenager (1970s) when Love Field had this entertainment thing going. It was along the right wing as you look at the airport entrance. The space with the dark windows. It was called Love or LLove, wasn't it? I went there a couple of times. Total teen hangout - bowling, arcade, strobe lights. I don't rememeber the airport being closed though. This place was just in part of the airport.

From Wikipedia:

"With the drastic reduction in flights, Love Field had to decommission several of its terminals. The City of Dallas attempted to make a rather creative use of these otherwise dormant facilities by leasing some of them to an entrepreneur who opened the "Llove Entertainment Complex" in November 1975. The main lobby areas at the front of a former terminal were transformed into movie theaters, an ice rink, a roller rink, a huge video arcade, places to eat, and a bowling alley. Llove seemed especially suited for the pre-teen and teen crowd, who could spend the day for a single admission charge of about $3.50. Llove lasted until May 1978 when it closed for good.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:07 PM

1,538 posts, read 6,457,477 times
I miss the old Prestonwood Mall. My mom and I used to go there a lot when I was in my early teens and I wanted "cool" clothes.

Seems like in the early 80's there was a McDonalds in NorthPark, and maybe a Sbarro Pizza.

Anyone else remember Pennywhistle Park? It was an indoor amusement park for kids.

I remember Olla Padrida.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:17 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,650,432 times
Loved Olla Podrida.

Remember Granny's Dinner Theatre? Small venue but good acts....I saw Captain and Tenneile, Ray Charles, lots of plays, etc. Nowhere like that left around, is there.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:19 PM

Prestonwood Mall is now a brand new strip center with a Super Walmart, Barnes and Noble, Ulta, DSW Shoes, Circuit City, Sports Clip, Houlihans Restaurant (coming soon), some linen store, a sports shoe store and others I can't remember. Across Montfort that've added a Steak n Shake, a Sonic and a CVS. Some soup and salad restaurant is under construction, too. It's all very nice. Awhile back some townhomes were built along the eastern-most edge of that property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or