Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times

Advertisements

Grand Prairie Police Detective John Brimmer said the shooter opened fire at about 7.30pm last night local time at a private birthday party being held at Forum Roller World.

Five dead in birthday party shooting | Herald Sun

I thought concealed carry was supposed to stop incidents like this from happening by blowing away the bad guy.

Anyways, this was just one of several shootings across the Violent States of America yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Yea I heard about this last night...Very unfortunate situation

Old 07-24-2011, 03:28 PM

373 posts, read 635,277 times
Default many homicides are among family and friends

Many homicides are among family and friends. That is what the coverage in the news suggested in this case also.

But the names were a mild surprise.

The real danger is common crime and road rage. These kind of homicides are very often not solved and little man hours are even thrown at them.

It might be interesting to find out what really set the shooter off?

Plenty of people are murdered in property crimes in Dallas county and road rage.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I thought concealed carry was supposed to stop incidents like this from happening by blowing away the bad guy.
Where does it mention the shooter or victims held a Concealed Hand Gun Livense?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Where does it mention the shooter or victims held a Concealed Hand Gun Livense?
Exactly. Concealed Carry is to protect the carrier, not the general public. Besides, this business might have had the 30.06 sign which prohibits carrying in the establishment...

Old 07-24-2011, 03:58 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
CCW is not a panacea. In this situation, just try to imagine how chaotic things must have been, with a shooter in the middle of a crowd full of bystanders and children.

If you had a concealed weapon, you might not even have a clear shot due to the sheer volume of other people nearby. And the last thing you'd want to do is to compound the tragedy by shooting bystanders.

To the extent that people claim that CCW is going to prevent spree shootings like this one, they should scale back those claims, since it doesn't appear to be true.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TabbyCat View Post
Plenty of people are murdered in property crimes in Dallas county and road rage.
This took place in Tarrant County. 0%3EK%20P]Real Estate Property Data

People just love to blame Dallas for all the crime, even when it clearly didn't occur in Dallas.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

To the extent that people claim that CCW is going to prevent spree shootings like this one, they should scale back those claims, since it doesn't appear to be true.
Exactly my point. When push comes to shove most CC people would end up shooting themselves in the foot, or just flat out panic and do nothing at all.

The answer isn't more guns, the answer is less guns. I know I know, the 2nd amendment.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
I do not understand how CCW got brought into this.....

Quote:
Exactly my point. When push comes to shove most CC people would end up shooting themselves in the foot, or just flat out panic and do nothing at all.
Assumptions are always 100% reliable and should be taken as fact You're wrong, on more than one level.

Quote:
The answer isn't more guns, the answer is less guns. I know I know, the 2nd amendment.
If you really truly think that CCW is a bad thing, please give your reasons. If someone wants to shoot up a place, they don't need a CCL, because THEY DON'T CARE, they're STILL going to bring that gun.

Less guns or no CCL only means that the honest people are left unarmed.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 AM

373 posts, read 635,277 times
Default Grand Prairie Extention of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
This took place in Tarrant County. 0%3EK%20P]Real Estate Property Data

People just love to blame Dallas for all the crime, even when it clearly
didn't occur in Dallas.
There is some of Grand Prairie west of 360. Not alot though. If I knew you in person you could have offered a small bet and won. A larger bet I would have looked it up!

The demograhpics of the victims and shooter was a surprise too.

I woul have lost that one too without reading the article. I would have guessed a different group for a mass shooting at a roller ring, and second gueuss would have been angry ex would have been wrong group too on that one too!

I was only not surprised with 20/20 hindsight after reading the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas