Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
To this day (mine are now teens) they know when I give them the "look" even from across the room they need to "cut it out!"
"The look" is an excellent example of a lost form of communication between parents and kids. Can we please, please, please (kicking the back of your seat) bring back "the look"??

My mother had it. And it worked! I have a very capable "the look" and use it as needed. But it doesn't compare to my mother's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
^ HA yes!
I have two...the "warning" look. AND then the "your in it now look" (looking OVER the glasses!) My girls will say to each other..."oh no..she looking "over" the glasses your in big trouble now!!!"

NOw...(eyes looking over the glasses...)STOP kicking the back of my seat!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,979 times
That laser beam look only works though if there has been some solid history established on what happens if that look is disregarded, but I agree that this whole aspect of discipline seems pretty rare these days.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
^Agree 100%

Also with teens... I feel like we are the only parents who actually ground thier kids for disrespectful behavior, grades etc...

My kids loose phones, FB etc... if they smart mouth us or thier grades slip. (texting while I am talking to you...automatic phone removal...took my middle 1 a couple of times to learn that one!!)

My eldest was actually grounded for 1 month last year for a (rather funny to us incident, but could have been real bad) the other kids involved..NADA! they were able to still go out and have sleep overs etc...
She could only drive to school or work. Only allowed to have while in car, in case of emergency etc...

Old 07-27-2011, 02:21 PM

48 posts, read 257,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
^ HA yes!
I have two...the "warning" look. AND then the "your in it now look" (looking OVER the glasses!) My girls will say to each other..."oh no..she looking "over" the glasses your in big trouble now!!!"

NOw...(eyes looking over the glasses...)STOP kicking the back of my seat!
I agree that kids should be disciplined for their unruly behavior but at the same time I disagree the "no child policy" (all 7 days) in restaurants including the classy ones.

How about having a couple of days of no child policy. That way, adults can schedule their time in the restaurant when there are no kids .

Off late, the people who annoy me in restaurants are adults, who frequently argue on politics/religion/debt/etc and use the F & S words without having no respect for others. Also, the ones that are loud to make a point. So, when are restaurants gonna say, no profanity/shouting in the restaurant.

To me, it looks like the kids have to come up with a policy to kick adults who use the F & S words out of the restaurant.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter1970 View Post
To me, it looks like the kids have to come up with a policy to kick adults who use the F & S words out of the restaurant.
If you're talking about Chili's on a Saturday afternoon, I agree. If you're talking about a nicer establishment or any bar or non-fast food restaurant after 9pm (when kids should be in bed anyway), you're barking up the wrong tree.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM

325 posts, read 756,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If you're talking about Chili's on a Saturday afternoon, I agree. If you're talking about a nicer establishment or any bar or non-fast food restaurant after 9pm (when kids should be in bed anyway), you're barking up the wrong tree.
I think I'd break this up a little farther than just non-fast food. Even after 9PM, bars, not a problem with whatever discussions (regardless of volume) go on in there. It's the norm to be raucous. If it's a nicer restaurant and I'm sitting down with my wife for a nice meal, I'd prefer not to have the person at the next table talking on their cell phone dropping the f-bomb every other word (unless it's Larry David walking out of the kitchen) ....

Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
wait--
I don't go to bars after 9 pm--but how many of you who do find parents bringing kids in there with them?

and I agree totally that people talking on cell phones in public places where others are trying to have a face2face conversation should be disciplined just like unruly kids

those same people probably have ill-behaved children...

Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM

372 posts, read 710,461 times
I flew years ago with a tiny baby and the plane did not have a changing table, the bathroom was too small nor was there anywhere to change my baby .The seats were full. I ended up changing him on the floor and a flight attendant with a blanket in behind us so not to show what was going on to the other passengers. We sat on the floor for about 15 minutes and finally I started to undo his pants but not his diaper. I was only preparing because his pants were soaked , the person in the seat screamed at me. The snobby man flight attendant told me to not even think about it.He finally stopped his routine and got the blanket. I was so humilated as a mother and woman.

When are we going stop being snobs and start supporting the family! If I had been the person who sat in the seat and it had been another mother/father doing what I was doing, I would have helped them. It would not have bothered me. I have lived several places and will tell you I am thankful to live in the Dallas area, where it is more so geared towards families. I have lived areas where they are not so much and even a walk down the mall can be met with someone being mean that your baby is laughing too loud. My kids were really good babies and even been complimented by servers, even staffs in stores how they did not fuss and then talk about how bad a kid who just came in and how horrible the mother is. The judgement upsets me.

Once upon time, we were children too. Sure there are kids who can be out of control BUT I really have not encountered seeing anything horrendous in a very long time and most of what people tell me I have encountered about horrible some kid is in a store from another passerbyers well is just kids stuff and it is evident they don't have any. There are some situations you can not help when you have kids, like the one I encountered on the plane. There needs to be more tolerance and a appreciation for families. Sure if a upscale restaurant doesn't want kids, ok then... I wouldn't go there anyway, even with my teens now.

Hey a shout out to Kroger for providing me years of drop in baby sitting while I shopped, instead of Wholefoods giving no kids hours, why not the drop in like Kroger has done! Trust me, there are places I would not take my kids, I though believe that if anything like the mall, a plane ride, a loud dinner place, going to wal mart and even the pediatricians office( yes I heard someone) if anyone complains about families or kids who are just being kiddos, well I think they need to stuff a sock in it and realize where they are at.

Last edited by Vintage Life; 07-27-2011 at 04:35 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 11:03 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I have always complimented people with well behaved kids. It's a pleasure to see that in restaurants or out and about. (Shopping etc) I know it takes a little more involvement in your family but is worth it in the end. Good going you patient and involved parents....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: