U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 AM
 
527 posts, read 1,839,154 times
Reputation: 427

Advertisements

I need to know whether i can use my existing Indian driving license (not an IDP) to drive car in city of Dallas / Plano etc ??
If yes then till how much time ? I am coming there on H1-B Visa permit.
Also if i intend to learn driving and take driving lessons then whom to contact in Plano and what is the approximate cost ? My company reimburses upto 200$.
And how to go about getting a learner's permit and then eventually a proper license ?
I am checking DMV.org for information but first hand information and from experienced people will be great.
Thanks in advance for helping me out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Blah
4,153 posts, read 7,915,931 times
Reputation: 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
I need to know whether i can use my existing Indian driving license (not an IDP) to drive car in city of Dallas / Plano etc ??
If yes then till how much time ? I am coming there on H1-B Visa permit.
Also if i intend to learn driving and take driving lessons then whom to contact in Plano and what is the approximate cost ? My company reimburses upto 200$.
And how to go about getting a learner's permit and then eventually a proper license ?
I am checking DMV.org for information but first hand information and from experienced people will be great.
Thanks in advance for helping me out
Now are you moving to Dallas or just visiting? I don't know about Visa's but your Indiana DL will work fine in any state while just visiting. Moving is another story, I believe you have a month to change you DL address and vehicle registration. Again, I don't know how Visa'a work but generally you don't have to retake drivers education etc. You just surrender your Indiana DL to the local Texas Department of Safety for a Texas DL. It's pretty simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 08:28 AM
 
333 posts, read 912,564 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Now are you moving to Dallas or just visiting? I don't know about Visa's but your Indiana DL will work fine in any state while just visiting. Moving is another story, I believe you have a month to change you DL address and vehicle registration. Again, I don't know how Visa'a work but generally you don't have to retake drivers education etc. You just surrender your Indiana DL to the local Texas Department of Safety for a Texas DL. It's pretty simple.
Hmmm, he is moving from India, NOT indiana, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 08:33 AM
 
333 posts, read 912,564 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
I need to know whether i can use my existing Indian driving license (not an IDP) to drive car in city of Dallas / Plano etc ??
If yes then till how much time ? I am coming there on H1-B Visa permit.
Also if i intend to learn driving and take driving lessons then whom to contact in Plano and what is the approximate cost ? My company reimburses upto 200$.
And how to go about getting a learner's permit and then eventually a proper license ?
I am checking DMV.org for information but first hand information and from experienced people will be great.
Thanks in advance for helping me out
There are all kinds of driving schools in the area. I cant make a recommendation for one over the other, but they all seem to run around $400. Here is one to check out:

1-2-3 Driving School - Providing complete driver education services to Plano, TX and the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Blah
4,153 posts, read 7,915,931 times
Reputation: 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycMarr View Post
Hmmm, he is moving from India, NOT indiana, LOL.
India, Indiana, what's the difference just playing hoosers. That is what happens when you crawl out of bed and grab the iPad lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 AM
 
11,897 posts, read 22,148,383 times
Reputation: 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
India, Indiana, what's the difference just playing hoosers. That is what happens when you crawl out of bed and grab the iPad lol.
Did it not seem weird that he had a Visa to move within the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 08:48 AM
 
527 posts, read 1,839,154 times
Reputation: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Now are you moving to Dallas or just visiting? I don't know about Visa's but your Indiana DL will work fine in any state while just visiting. Moving is another story, I believe you have a month to change you DL address and vehicle registration. Again, I don't know how Visa'a work but generally you don't have to retake drivers education etc. You just surrender your Indiana DL to the local Texas Department of Safety for a Texas DL. It's pretty simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycMarr View Post
Hmmm, he is moving from India, NOT indiana, LOL.

Yes i am moving in from India and not Indiana
Btw I am coming on H1-B Visa which lets me work in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX & AL Gulf Coast
6,848 posts, read 10,103,018 times
Reputation: 33350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
Yes i am moving in from India and not Indiana
Btw I am coming on H1-B Visa which lets me work in the United States.
rak007,

Your H1-B Visa makes you eligible for a Texas temporary visitor driver's license based on the length of your I-94.

See:
TxDPS - Lawful Status

Follow the Temporary Visitor Issuance Guide (PDF) link from the bottom of that page which will bring up the Immigration Status Chart.

Go to page 14 on this chart - at the top of page 14, you'll see the requirements for a H-1B & H1B1 Specialty Worker.

So, once you arrive here in Texas, you will need to go to one of the Texas Department of Public Safety - Driver License offices with the required documents as stated, along with your India license, to get your Texas temporary visitor driver's license. I'd also advise you to call the office that you intend to go to before you go to make sure that you take all of the documents they will need from you.

Note that this does not say anything about you being required to take a driver's training course here beforehand - that may or may not be the case, you'll just have to call and ask. However, if not, if you think you need one to enable you to get familiar with the driving rules here in the USA, by all means, do take one... at the very least, you should print out the Texas Drivers Handbook and study up!

Good luck!


Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-30-2011 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Corrected link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 PM
 
527 posts, read 1,839,154 times
Reputation: 427
@BstYet2Be

That is one awesome reply sir (Maam)
Thanks a lot for this information and surely i will go through all the details mentioned. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Dallas TX & AL Gulf Coast
6,848 posts, read 10,103,018 times
Reputation: 33350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
@BstYet2Be

That is one awesome reply sir (Maam)
Thanks a lot for this information and surely i will go through all the details mentioned. Thanks again.

It's Maam, Sir rak007, and you are most welcome! I know how anxious it can make you going to a new country and all the details that are involved, so hopefully we've given you some comfort in getting some of these things worked out.

Take care, have a safe trip to the USA and Texas... I'm sure you both will really enjoy it here once you arrive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top