Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 25,104 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a new resident from Northern Virginia. My spouse and I visited family in Texas many times before we decided the area was a good fit for us. We have two kids and began searching for homes online while still residing in Virginia. Now that we've closed on our home in VA and we're in town we've hit the ground running. We're seeking a great community in Collin County. Our budget is a bit limited as we both took a significant pay cut so we were looking for properties around $250k. A DR Horton sales person in another community recommended we check out the Reserve at Westridge. The homes were consistent with our price point, the amenities would be a hit with our little ones (especially the splash park) and folks around the neighborhood seem friendly.

We are considering putting an offer on a home but drove around the entire Westridge community (outside of the Reserve) and noticed some communities are a little older and less "tidy" than others. It also appears that the builders are throwing up homes around a rural area of broken down cars and trailers. Disappointing to see as we continued up Independence.

I'm also reading mixed reviews on the nearby schools Roach Elementary and Heritage High. I was curious if anyone could provide some insight on the reputation of the community. Good and safe if wife and kids are walking the dog at night sort of thing?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 12:51 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
I know the neighborhood well. If you are looking up to the 250K range, I'd look elsewhere. I find that neighborhood to be very crowded, very narrow streets and because they are front entry garage, the streets a full of cars on both sides making it difficult to drive through. Because of the price point, mid 100s, many owners purchased homes for investment, so many of them are rentals too.

Roach and Heritage are good schools, both recognized. You can get more info such as parents testimonials from greatschools.com or schooldigger.com.

Naima

Old 07-31-2011, 01:50 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Agreed....Westridge is not a good idea for the reasons listed above.Many homes start slot lower than your range,rentals,very crammed area,tiny lots. If your price point is around $250,000 check out Cedar Ridge,Willow Ridge and Lakes of La Cima in Prosper....

Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
That's about the price point I was at last year, if you want to be in McKinney, take a look at the Winding Creek area. The homes range from 200k to 500k+, with the average probably being around 250k.

I can attest to it being a great neighborhood, and the closest elementary school, Walker, is rated exemplary.

EDIT: You'll see plenty of people walking their dogs in the morning or at night too.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 25,104 times
Hey, just wanted to send a quick thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM

38 posts, read 76,178 times
Just posted this in another thread:

"Hunters Creek in Frisco (between Independence and Custer just North of 121) has 2 swimming pools and a very nice park in the community (shaded!!) and an elementary school, high school and a soon to be brand new middle school all around the community. There are kids everywhere and the community was build along a greenbelt with a creek, trail and lots of trees!"

Old 08-02-2011, 11:09 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
That's about the price point I was at last year, if you want to be in McKinney, take a look at the Winding Creek area. The homes range from 200k to 500k+, with the average probably being around 250k.

I can attest to it being a great neighborhood, and the closest elementary school, Walker, is rated exemplary.

EDIT: You'll see plenty of people walking their dogs in the morning or at night too.
Seems like a very nice neighborhood!

To the OP...FYI, don't confuse that with the Winding Creek neighborhood just west of Custer (right by Westridge). That is a different neighborhood altogether, and actually is in Frisco.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
You can also take a look just across the road (Custer) into Stonebridge neighborhoods such as Crimson Ridge and Fairway Village. Masterplanned community with excellent schools. Very nice and safe to walk your dog at night.
I've lived here for about 4 years. Several homes in that price range, although not brand new but with lots of trees

Old 08-02-2011, 03:19 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Seems like a very nice neighborhood!

To the OP...FYI, don't confuse that with the Winding Creek neighborhood just west of Custer (right by Westridge). That is a different neighborhood altogether, and actually is in Frisco.
I probably should have been more descriptive with the location for him.

OP, the Winding Creek area is the area off of Winding Brook Dr, and Maverick Trail, 75070 zip. They are both the same road, the name switches halfway around it. Lots of good houses over here, and you'll see tons of kids playing outside and families riding their bikes (not so much during this infernal heat wave though.) And, as stated before, Walker Elem was rated exemplary.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:21 PM

27 posts, read 959,566 times
Just wanted to post an update in this thread about this neighborhood. We moved here in 2011 despite the negative feedback on city-data. Out home value has increased by $80K, without improvements. A top notch new neighborhood school, as well as the middle school and high school now rated exemplary, made a big difference.

The other neighborhoods recommended by city data users in this thread did not fare as well, to say the least. Glad we followed out instincts and went with the awesome water park neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas