Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 4,052 times

Advertisements

I am almost 90% sure we will be moving to the DFW area within the next month. I have had 3 interviews with the same company, and I should receive final word within the next couple of weeks. We are older parents (me -early 40s, dh - late 40s) with a 2 yo and a 5 yo that is supposed to start kindergarten on August 22nd. The job I am interviewing for is in Arlington. My husband will transfer to a company location near Love Field. I am looking for a place in between with great school districts, reasonable commutes for each of us - you know, the "whole package!" Any recommendations for communities we should look at? Also, a reasonable sized yard is a must for my husband and son. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
What will be your budget?
Where in Arlington?
Unfortunately there is a lot of road construction between the mid-cities and Dallas right now so its going to be tough on your husband. Grapevine will probably be a reasonable location....there are others, too.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM

We are moving from a suburb south of Houston. We were hoping to shorten our commute times. Right now, I spend about 2 1/2 hours commuting, and my husband spends about 1 1/2 hours. Of course, we are "dreaming" about something in a 30 minute each way range.

We are going to keep our house, for the time being, as a rental property. So, we are looking at renting (anywhere from $1500 to $2500 per month). When we buy a house, we will probably look in the $250K to $350k range. I would like to pick an area with a great school district so that when we do buy, we will stay within the same district.

I liked what I read about Grapevine ISD. What about Mansfield or Cedar Hill? Also, I was thinking Addison (as a location) might be good because my DH can take the bus into town (or rail - not sure how that works, but he used to use park and ride in Houston and loved it). Thanks for your help.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ae View Post
We are moving from a suburb south of Houston. We were hoping to shorten our commute times. Right now, I spend about 2 1/2 hours commuting, and my husband spends about 1 1/2 hours. Of course, we are "dreaming" about something in a 30 minute each way range.

We are going to keep our house, for the time being, as a rental property. So, we are looking at renting (anywhere from $1500 to $2500 per month). When we buy a house, we will probably look in the $250K to $350k range. I would like to pick an area with a great school district so that when we do buy, we will stay within the same district.

I liked what I read about Grapevine ISD. What about Mansfield or Cedar Hill? Also, I was thinking Addison (as a location) might be good because my DH can take the bus into town (or rail - not sure how that works, but he used to use park and ride in Houston and loved it). Thanks for your help.
Mansfield and Cedar Hill schools are not as highly rated as Grapevine. Mansfield is a longer drive to Love Field than Grapevine. I once lived in Mansfield and did the commute 3 miles west of Love Field....torture! Addison would be terrible to Arlington and also not great schools. Euless is an OK location to check out. You might consider Irving in zip codes 75063 and 75039. Irving is a hugh city served by a few diff school districts. So, if you only house shop in the zips I just gave, you will have exemplary elementary schools there. For your commute you'd take hwy 161 to South Arlington or to No. Arl HWY 10, then 157.

This is a good area of Euless! North of Hwy 183! Link to show you a map fix
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...9_M82083-46142

Las Colinas Elementary in 75063 is highly desirable; otherwise aim for Coppell schools
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M75976-80515

Old 08-01-2011, 01:04 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Addison has DISD schools (not the best) and your commute to Arlington from there would be horrible. Scratch it off your list.

I recommend Euless. The northern part (north of Mid-Cities Blvd) has Grapevine-Colleyville ISD schools and homes in your price range. You might even be able to find a rental in the area so your kids won't have to change schools.

You can also do Grapevine, but it will be a little longer commute for both of you (maybe 15 minutes more). Look in the southern part (south of 114) and there will be many homes in your price range. Yes, GCISD schools are very good!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for y'all's great information - I will definitely look into these areas. I guess that's the great thing about renting - we can always move, but I'd like to get it right to begin with! Found what I thought was a great rental for us - big back yard - in Grapevine. DH looked it up, and found out the street dead ends into DFW Now onto Euless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas