Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone -

One of my dreams that I have for moving down to Dallas, is I want to get a wave runner and take it out on a lake on the weekends...what is the best lake in the DFW area to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 AM

247 posts, read 567,487 times
There are a lot of lakes around Dallas/Ft.Worth, and I have jet skiied on Lake Lavon, Lake Lewisville, Joe Pool Lake and others. They're all great...I have had no problems with any of them. Note there are a couple you can't jet ski on - e.g. White Rock Lake - but most of them you can.

However I would worry more about which lake is closest to you, vs which one is the best (they, in general, all seem fun).

If you are looking to rent jet skis - many marinas offer that service. One I used to use was Just For Fun rentals on Lake Lewisville - Just for Fun Watercraft Rental?Boat Rentals?Lake Lewisville & Grapevine, TX

If you want to tell us where you will live (Plano, Dallas, Coppell, etc)...that might help us recommend you some specific places nearby to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Hey everyone -

One of my dreams that I have for moving down to Dallas, is I want to get a wave runner and take it out on a lake on the weekends...what is the best lake in the DFW area to do this?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times
Hi dallas90201,

I will be working in Richardson, but will probably start off in the Uptown area. From there, I will look for a home to purchase. I am not sure where to go, because I want something that is a nice starter home, brand new, but also within driving range to Richardson.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
Stay away from kayaks please.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
If you live in Uptown your best bet is going to be Ray Hubbard. Your looking at 30 minutes on a weekend to reach the water from your front door.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
have you heard about ray hubbard right now? Im on a boating forum and I have read that the water is so hot fish are dieing.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
that is likely true since the heat has been going on for so long and is so hot--and there is no colling off period--
the water is basically just getting hotter and hotter--and evaporating--
lake levels are really down across the area

From stories I have seen/read over the years, I would just say that Lake Lewisville is VERY crowded and dangerous--
not that other lakes aren't--but it seems to be the one with more stories about people being caught drinking/boating and injuries in the water

Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
have you heard about ray hubbard right now? Im on a boating forum and I have read that the water is so hot fish are dieing.
Most of those fish dying are buffalo's and drum. Those fish have a large die off every year during the summer. You can see them by the hundreds while driving down 30 during the summer.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:07 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
that is likely true since the heat has been going on for so long and is so hot--and there is no colling off period--
the water is basically just getting hotter and hotter--and evaporating--
lake levels are really down across the area

From stories I have seen/read over the years, I would just say that Lake Lewisville is VERY crowded and dangerous--
not that other lakes aren't--but it seems to be the one with more stories about people being caught drinking/boating and injuries in the water
Oh boy this a pet peeve of mine.

Lake Lewisville gets a bad rap from all sorts of people who've been there a few times.

The fact is boating on Lake Lewisville is perfectly safe. Aside from some idiot letting his 11/12yo kid drive a rented boat the last really fantastic boating accident out these was several years ago. Although a guy did FUBAR himself beaching a waverunner last year.

The real problem with Lake Lewisville is swimming. It seems like every year 2/3/4 swimmers drown. The lake is very choppy from wind, wakes and wash from big boats and the lake transitions from very deep to very shallow quickly. The lake has all manner of slightly underwater hazards like pipes, old pieces of concrete, submerged cars, boats, trot lines and re-bar from old bridges plus underwater trees that the Corps of Engineers demand stay in place.

ETA - open container is 100% legal on Texas waterways by pleasure-boaters. BUI is of course not legal.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,656 times
Default Lake Ray Hubbard

Lake Ray Hubbard is only 25 miles from downtown Dallas. It's great for fishing, sailing and sking. It's never too crowded and within a nice community I would recomend this lake for anyone living in or near Rockwall, Rowlett, Garland,Plano or Richardons. Great Boat and Wave Running rentals also great marinas if you already have your own boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas