U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 AM

10,283 posts, read 11,122,500 times

Advertisements

I am of a progressive mind and a Californian and I love it here! I live in Plano in a very multicultural neighborhood.

Its such a large area that you will find people of every mindset here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 AM

174 posts, read 228,021 times
"The Land of the Crunchy People" is going to be East Dallas encompassing White Rock Lake Forrest/Little Forrest Hills and Lakewood areas. Lots do do at the lake (which is in the middle of the city of Dallas). 250 would be pushing it for this area though. You could probably get something older in the Casa Linda area, something maybe with 4 bedrooms, maybe, but you would need to push the price up maybe 50 grand. If schools are no worry (and even if they are) I recommend this area. Last week I saw a family of 8 at Natural Grocers. There are all sorts of Green businesses,bee keepers, a Green Market, Green gas stations, organic food markets, organic taco stands, coffee hauses, etc. And lots of new things are on their way. This is a very liberal are with tons of professionals as well as hippies, a big mix of different types of people.

Now the commute to Farmers Branch would depend on the time he left home. 6-7 am, 30 minutes. Any time after that, 1 hour. Otherwise, for the price, you are looking at not living in the city at all. Like others mentioned, you would have to move somewhere maybe 45 miles from Dallas like Highland Village. So not in the city, but you could probably get a decent sized home. Even somewhere like Plano or Richardson, you could get a 4 bedroom, Richardson is closer to Dallas, Plano is further out. But if you want a liberal area in the city with a house for a lot of people, nyt, nyt unless it is East Dallas.

Maybe rent first and get a feel for the city.

Last edited by VonHuffenHausen; 08-05-2011 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 AM

695 posts, read 808,878 times
I like the second house, but would be concerned that it might be downwind of the city dump. The location is very good though.

I come from a very liberal background although I'd say I'm more of an independent. If you're coming from the Northeast, I imagine it might be kind of a culture shock. Most of the homeschoolers around here will tend to be very conservative.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:49 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,967,826 times
If you are looking around Farmer's Branch, then consider 75007. There are over a hundred miles of trails in the zip code, a great public waterpark, central to a lot of malls, easy access to the freeway, and crime is low. And there are lots of good deals on homes in the 200-250K range.

Basically, anything along Josey Lane from Farmer's Branch up to 121 would work for you.

Here is an example of a 4 bedroom on a a greenbelt/trail about 10 min from work.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1117-Cambridge-Dr-Carrollton-TX-75007/26941867_zpid/#{scid=hdp-site-map-bubble-address}

Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM

695 posts, read 808,878 times
I know the schools that house would feed into and while they are in the CFBISD, they are good schools. We transferred our son to Kent halfway through his elementary career, and it was a good experience for him. I would recommend that neighborhood.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:30 PM

37 posts, read 56,474 times
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Our kids definitely share rooms. I am not sure I'd even want a huge house, more than about 2000sf.

Please keep it coming, I'm getting excited about the possibilities! My dh had his interview today and should have an offer on Monday evening.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM

37 posts, read 56,474 times
Does anyone have any tips for finding a rental house? Since we have a large family, I really don't want to be stuck in an apartment for months, or even a townhouse.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 PM

621 posts, read 688,730 times
Parts of Farmers Branch have some nice homes and you'll be really close.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,879,905 times
The areas previously mentioned are great suggestions. You will find they are plenty of liberal, crunchy types around the metroplex....it's a pretty diverse area. I've lived in Collin County (Plano, and now Mckinney) for the past 7 years, and have had no problem meeting like-minded folks, even out here in the burbs.

A good local website for moms is DFW Area Moms. Loads of crunchy homeschooling moms on that site. It's got a great forum, and often there are playdates. Would be a great start to help you get connected

Old 08-06-2011, 12:58 PM

4,535 posts, read 6,379,494 times
I really like Farmer's Branch, itself.

Good little city, wonderful parks, some nice housing.

But as far as the kids -- for momma it was too close to Dallas -- just across the line is some hoody area of City of Dallas. We were coming from the deep hood, so that was not tolerated.

So we wound up further out.

But I like Farmer's Branch. And I did some remodeling on some of the schools a few years ago, and thought pretty well of their operation.

Can you imagine being able to bike or walk to work? That would be great in my book.

And oh, as far as liberal, etc. Just keep your mouth shut.

Folks here will just figure you are one of them unless you feel you need to show yourself different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas