Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
You'll have to wait until 2nd grade to transition back into public school. There is a cut off for 1st grade, too - Age 6 by Sept. 1 - but no cut off for 2nd grade.

I don't know of any school - public or private - that will take a 4-year-old as a kindergartener.

(As you pointed out Montessori is the exception because they don't recognize grade levels.)
There is a cut off for 1rst grade in collin county??? I have child in KG right now, that will turn 6 on september 22, We plan on moving to DFW over the summer, are they going to make her "redo" KG?

Any input on this is welcome, we may have either rethink our move for a year, or perhaps do a private, there must be a work-around as there are so many people moving in (the northeast are does december 1 cut-offs).

BTW, nothing against redshirting, if you plan on going into sports (football, or the like), but if thats not your thing. Do frisco schools have this rule. Not interested in re-doing KG.

Last edited by mom2gurls; 12-21-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
You'd have to check the policy manual for the district. I know my district has a clearly-defined exemption for kids who have completed public K in another state.

Edit: you're golden. From Friscoisd.org

Quote:
.A child may be enrolled in the first grade if he or she is at least six years of age at the beginning of the current school year or has been enrolled in the first grade, or completed kindergarten, in the public schools of another state prior to transferring to the District.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I thought it was a state rule?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 PM

I am so glad I found this. Our other kids went thru with the december 1rst cut off and there are "no issues".....with regards to emotional maturity, grades, etc etc etc. I know each state has its own rules, but it doesnt seem right to consider the state that they are coming from before having such clear cut rule. I also read that the test they use for first grade is at a 3rd grade level and is a challenge. I actually think it would be more detrimental to a childs self esteem to have them redo kindergarten for a year when they know that they should be in first grade. Ugghh...just another thing to consider..right when I thought I had it all figured out.

Any private schools in the plano area (non sectarian) that I can consider for that one year. I am sure they are going to realize that I just need them for the one year till 2cnd grade.

Will PISD give me a hard time going into second knowing that we did private just because of 21 days???? Again, totally realize that if we were from tx when our children started it would not be an issue right now....

Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Your questions are probably better directed to PISD or FISD. None of us work for the district.

I would guess you can probably talk your way into a first grade admission if your kid has completed K in an American curriculum. Even if not, they've changed things a bit, and the test applied to Sept. to Dec. birthdays for 1st grade admission is on grade level, not above.

For private non-sectarian options, There's Plano Day School, but I'd suggest swallowing hard and going with one of the 2 Catholic schools in Plano for a year if that's what is needed.

As you noted, a lot of the good private schools push red shirting harder than publics. Greenhill even runs a special grade level -primer- for redshirts between K and 1.

As far as going into public second grade, once you've completed first grade at any school, public or private, that can document appropriate learning outcomes, I.e. not unschooling, you can get into second without reference to age.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:57 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
I was a post-Sept 1 child and it wasn't a big deal. I did start college at 17 but again, so be it. It seems to be a Texas thing to be 19 in highschool. So unless you're kid's going into sports- I'd want to get my kid out the house a year earlier. No disrespect mean to TC80.
None taken. I am a late summer bday and was probably one of the 10-15 youngest in my class of 335. It sure sucked when everyone else was driving a full year earlier, but I now enjoy the fact that my "milestone" birthdays come 1-2 years after most of my HP friends

I'm not sure what we will do if we have kids with spring / summer birthdays. I'd probably be inclined to send a girl onto school and do K twice for a son (preschool K + HPISD K or K + Primer year at HPPDS before entering 1st).

Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
None taken. I am a late summer bday and was probably one of the 10-15 youngest in my class of 335. It sure sucked when everyone else was driving a full year earlier, but I now enjoy the fact that my "milestone" birthdays come 1-2 years after most of my HP friends

I'm not sure what we will do if we have kids with spring / summer birthdays. I'd probably be inclined to send a girl onto school and do K twice for a son (preschool K + HPISD K or K + Primer year at HPPDS before entering 1st).
My daughter saw her elementary school when we went there to vote and fell in love. There'd be no holding her back at this point. However with a spring birthday, there was no way to start her a year early as I'd planned without sending her to private school which would've negated the home choice, even if we could've swung it.

Last edited by GreyDay; 12-22-2012 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Your questions are probably better directed to PISD or FISD. None of us work for the district.

I would guess you can probably talk your way into a first grade admission if your kid has completed K in an American curriculum. Even if not, they've changed things a bit, and the test applied to Sept. to Dec. birthdays for 1st grade admission is on grade level, not above.

For private non-sectarian options, There's Plano Day School, but I'd suggest swallowing hard and going with one of the 2 Catholic schools in Plano for a year if that's what is needed.

As you noted, a lot of the good private schools push red shirting harder than publics. Greenhill even runs a special grade level -primer- for redshirts between K and 1.

As far as going into public second grade, once you've completed first grade at any school, public or private, that can document appropriate learning outcomes, I.e. not unschooling, you can get into second without reference to age.
I will contact the districts on our looksie trip thanks! I just wanted to inquire if anyone else faced a first grade cut-off situation as I didnt know it existed. I knew it would for KG, but I thought once you are finished with KG, denial of first grade wouldnt happen. I dont want to talk my way into anything, I just dont want to repeat kindergarten. Also not trying to get ahead or save a year..just want to continue the progression thru the grades.

NY has there cut off december 1, which applies to KG..after that..you go in the grade you are suppose to.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,060 times
My son is Nov 8 born and he will be going to be 5 years by Nov 2015. I recently moved to Irving TX and learned that the cut-off date in Texas is Sept 1, can we get admission in kinder garden now?. Please suggest possible options for him.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:14 PM

48 posts, read 74,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
I will contact the districts on our looksie trip thanks! I just wanted to inquire if anyone else faced a first grade cut-off situation as I didnt know it existed. I knew it would for KG, but I thought once you are finished with KG, denial of first grade wouldnt happen. I dont want to talk my way into anything, I just dont want to repeat kindergarten. Also not trying to get ahead or save a year..just want to continue the progression thru the grades.

NY has there cut off december 1, which applies to KG..after that..you go in the grade you are suppose to.
Was your child in a public KG in another state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas