Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:14 PM

18 posts, read 92,680 times

Advertisements

My daughter is Sept 4 born and she will be going to 4 years next month. I recently moved to Plano TX and learned that the cut-off date in Texas is Sept 1, my daughter will miss to get admission in Kinder Garden by 3 days. I live in Plano (Collin county). I have choices of lots of montessory schools. Can somebody suggest how do I can save her one year, I really want her to get into KG next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 01:18 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Your only possible chance is a private school (non public ISD), although most privates are 1) full, since class starts in a few weeks and 2) abide by the 9/1 cutoff as well.

It's really for the best that you don't send a 4 y/o (barely 5 y/o) into kindergarten as most of her classmates will be 6 and turning 7 during the school year. Most parents hold back kids whose birthdays are January 1 or later. Emotionally and physically, it's best to make sure your kid is "middle of the pack" instead of the youngest/ smallest/ weakest. You may not notice it now, but come middle school & later, there is a NOTICABLE difference.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
What you need to do is private kindergarten, and then next year you apply to have her in 1st grade. They will test her and it's up to the school if they think she's ready, but you cannot enter public kindergarten at age 4. My daughter will do Primrose's private Kindergarten and then go to public 1st grade.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_desi View Post
My daughter is Sept 4 born and she will be going to 4 years next month. I recently moved to Plano TX and learned that the cut-off date in Texas is Sept 1, my daughter will miss to get admission in Kinder Garden by 3 days. I live in Plano (Collin county). I have choices of lots of montessory schools. Can somebody suggest how do I can save her one year, I really want her to get into KG next year.
I would wait. The trend is to send kids later to give them a leg up...google "red shirt kindergarten" to read articles debating the issue of when to start. TC80 has the ages wrong, but the direction right - most kids in kinder these days are 5 turning 6, and most start kinder with rudimentary reading and addition skills.

I was young for my grade in school and it was not ideal. It's really best to hold out and do pre-k for another year...

Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
You'll have to wait until 2nd grade to transition back into public school. There is a cut off for 1st grade, too - Age 6 by Sept. 1 - but no cut off for 2nd grade.

I don't know of any school - public or private - that will take a 4-year-old as a kindergartener.

(As you pointed out Montessori is the exception because they don't recognize grade levels.)

Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Primrose does it routinely. It's private, so they can do what they want. They then coordinate with the public school for the early admission for 1st grade. There are two other kids along with my daughter who will be doing early K and going into 1st at age 5.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I think as someone suggested you will have to wait until 2nd grade for your daughter to enter public school as a 2nd grader

Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I always just think of Primrose as a daycare not a school, but that's good to know. It's good to have options.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I always just think of Primrose as a daycare not a school, but that's good to know. It's good to have options.
It's definitely not just a daycare. My daughter is 3 1/2 and going into Pre-K with the 4 year olds at the end of the month, and will then do Kinder next year. They require a 2 week notice to run the necessary tests to ensure a smooth transition to public 1st, otherwise you have to go into public K.

And I think 6 is the max age where you have to either put your kid into K or declare home-schooling, otherwise your kid is truant.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
I would wait. The trend is to send kids later to give them a leg up...google "red shirt kindergarten" to read articles debating the issue of when to start. TC80 has the ages wrong, but the direction right - most kids in kinder these days are 5 turning 6, and most start kinder with rudimentary reading and addition skills.

I was young for my grade in school and it was not ideal. It's really best to hold out and do pre-k for another year...
No, I meant 6 turning 7 during the school year. A child with a January - August birthday who is held back (normal in many districts) will start at age 6-6.5 vs 5-5.5 if they had not been held back. I was a summer bday and entered kindergarten with about 1/4 of the class being 1.5 years older than me. These same kids turned 16 in the spring of freshman year, 19 at graduation, and 30 a long time before I did!

It's only gotten more common to hold back January-May (vs back in the 1980's when it was just the summer birthdays), especially in private schools and the competitive public districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas