Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 AM

105 posts, read 290,018 times

Advertisements

Hi Dallas City-Data!

I'm a rare poster, but a self-admitted lurker that has been obsessed with reading the Dallas City-Data forums almost every day for the past two+ years as my wife and I have been considering a move from the San Francisco Bay Area to the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex. I've literally read through the majority of the threads, and have gained SO MUCH knowledge and insight about the city, cost of living, culture, heat, environment, schools & education, taxes, things to expect, etc., that I am overwhelmingly thankful for this forum and all of your contributions.

Well, we finally took the plunge and moved here, arriving almost exactly 2 weeks ago. Since I've gained so much from all of you, I wanted to somewhat return the favor by giving you my own personal insight about TX and the Dallas area from a recent transplant's point of view. My hope is that it gives some fresh perspective to other out-of-state folks reading this forum, and for the rest, just provides something additional for you to read and/or debate on regarding this great state and area.

Note that I spent my childhood in the Dallas area, my teen and all of my adult years till now in CA, and am now back - thus my perspective is probably unique since I've experienced both places in depth and have deep ties to both.

You can start with these posts, as these are the impression specific ones:
Feel free to read through my other posts, though they are more oriented towards my friends and family keeping up with the blog. Feel free to leave whatever comments you'd like to under the entries themselves if you'd like.

Thanks for a great welcome so far Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
I like your perspective on things. I too, grew up here until I was 11 and the moved to Southern California (not by choice) and then moved back here in my late twenties. My goal I always told my parents I would move back to Texas at any cost. And that I did- funny thing was most of my family is following back to their roots. I enjoy Texas so much more. Yeah California and many other states have things going for them. But I love Texas and the Dallas Metro area. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:22 AM

388 posts, read 849,037 times
I am in a very similar situation in lurking on here for a long time while im deciding on where to move. Thank you very much for your stories. As you know, personal accounts go a long way in helping the decision process.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM

256 posts, read 448,339 times
Nice posts. I do echo the hospitality/customer service thing.

I lived on the east coast for awhile and that was the first thing that struck me when I moved back. Clerks at Kroger and Tom Thumb would approach ME to see if I needed help! Try that at the A&P. Like you, it kind of freaked me out at first, I thought it was so strange. I thought they thought I was shoplifting and were trying to shadow me.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
I like your perspective on things. I too, grew up here until I was 11 and the moved to Southern California (not by choice) and then moved back here in my late twenties. My goal I always told my parents I would move back to Texas at any cost. And that I did- funny thing was most of my family is following back to their roots. I enjoy Texas so much more. Yeah California and many other states have things going for them. But I love Texas and the Dallas Metro area. Thanks for sharing.
Thx LQQKOUT - it's been great so far. My wife grew up in SF and the is her first time living out of that state and she loves it here so far. I think that says a lot about this area, the people, and the opportunity here. She literally said the other day, "Now I can understand why people want to move here to raise their family. Aside from the heat, I haven't seen any other reason not to yet."

Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
I am in a very similar situation in lurking on here for a long time while im deciding on where to move. Thank you very much for your stories. As you know, personal accounts go a long way in helping the decision process.
Yep, this forum is seriously a God-send. I literally did our budget and CoL analysis based on information I got from posters here haha. I just with I could blog all day long because there is so much to share from just these past two weeks. For folks with kids, the experiences we've had thus far with the libraries, pre-schools we've visited, and family-oriented businesses/services will blow your mind! Hopefully I can get to those soon.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
Nice posts. I do echo the hospitality/customer service thing.

I lived on the east coast for awhile and that was the first thing that struck me when I moved back. Clerks at Kroger and Tom Thumb would approach ME to see if I needed help! Try that at the A&P. Like you, it kind of freaked me out at first, I thought it was so strange. I thought they thought I was shoplifting and were trying to shadow me.
I totally understand - my wife was really freaked out by it at first! She kept thinking they were going to try to sell her something haha. My DMV / Tax Office experience really took the cake for me though... that was just insane and I'm pretty confident in saying that that would never happen at the CA DMV or any other CA state run agency anytime soon.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Fun stuff, Sean!
I like that you are letting yourself experience and not comparing DFW to the Bay Area!
When are you going to the Mesquite Rodeo with the kids?
Have you found any fun water spray parks where the babies can run thru the water?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Fun stuff, Sean!
I like that you are letting yourself experience and not comparing DFW to the Bay Area!
When are you going to the Mesquite Rodeo with the kids?
Have you found any fun water spray parks where the babies can run thru the water?
Thank you Squirl! I'm trying to make a conscious effort not to compare CA to TX directly - and trust me, it's REALLY hard. I had to actually go back and edit some posts before to take out the CA comparisons. I have to be sensitive to it because I have a lot of friends and family from CA reading it, and I don't want them to think I'm insulting the state and just saying TX is better because of all these things hehe. And trust me, I'll get to other points eventually that are probably not too appealing to the masses.

Haven't been to the Mesquite Rodeo yet, or the Ft. Worth Stockyards either! Those two are definitely on the to-do list! We've driven by the water spray park in Allen by the shopping center, as well as in the Star Creek community in Allen where a couple of our friends live... Do you know of any closer to Plano?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:44 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
Nice posts. Like you, it kind of freaked me out at first, I thought it was so strange. I thought they thought I was shoplifting and were trying to shadow me.

I had this same reaction my first time in a store in Texas a few years back, was a Hamburger joint actually (Kincaids). I will never forget it actually.. Manager came out from behind the counter as soon as he realized I was a food lover, and talked to me for a while. At first I was like, is this guy making fun of me because I am from the East Coast. Nope, it was just that genuine willingness to spend time to talk and listen that I pick up in a lot of folks from Texas.

Then I usually get the "so what church are you a part of" and when I respond I am Catholic they no longer have interest in me. Kiddin...Some nice folks down there for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas