U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM
 
205 posts, read 419,284 times
Reputation: 117

Advertisements

Anyone a mechanic at any of the dealerships? If so I was curious does work seem to be consistent there? Do you have a slow time/busy time of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2011, 12:34 PM
 
2,982 posts, read 8,372,957 times
Reputation: 1542
I'm done with the dealership after yesterday - my friend had Bimmer doing a mobile repair on her Audi. I asked if they could replace a headlight in my Passat. He did it quick and charged me $20!!! I cannot imagine what it would have cost at the dealership!!!
I'm going to use them for at home oil changes and everything from now on. Oil change is around $95...only $15 more than the deal, but I don't have to leave my home.

BMS | Mobile Auto Repair | Foreign Auto Repair Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Forney Texas
2,120 posts, read 5,637,585 times
Reputation: 1177
I went to a ford dealership the other day to get the plugs changed on my F150. I also needed a coil pack replaced. You must remove the coil packs in order to change the plugs. The dealer tried to charge me the labor for the spark plugs plus the labor for the coil pack. Thats charging labor for something that they already have to do anyway. I bitched abotu it and they took $100 off the bill which was the price for the labor to do the coil pack. If I wasn't knowledgeable about cars I would have gotten ripped off. Dealerships arent know as "stealerships" for nothing. People on car forums call dealerships "Satan".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM
 
1,637 posts, read 3,601,942 times
Reputation: 1022
It sounds like the OP may consider working at a dealership out here.

@ pepper, next time change your own light bulb and save the $20. Labor rates vary but if the shop charges $100/hour labor, a headlight bulb install may only bill for 1/10th hours of labor or whatever the case may be. It doesn't matter how long it takes him, the labor price is the same. Some jobs are billed as 8 hours of labor. If the tech finishes in 6, he still gets paid for 8.

I've been ripped off by both dealerships and indies, I've also had great experiences with both. Hit or miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM
 
Location: DFW
621 posts, read 1,143,503 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by StEt0417 View Post
Anyone a mechanic at any of the dealerships? If so I was curious does work seem to be consistent there? Do you have a slow time/busy time of the year?

I'm not a Tech, but I know a couple and have worked as a service advisor and shop manager in the past......

The shops do get slow at times, but they seem to do ok. My local Honda Tech says he does over $100k a year every year

Hope that helps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,098,260 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by StEt0417 View Post
Anyone a mechanic at any of the dealerships? If so I was curious does work seem to be consistent there? Do you have a slow time/busy time of the year?
I've worked as a mechanic at a few dealerships in Texas both in Dallas & Houston.

Its usually very busy in the Summer time then slows down around December through the end of January & slowly picks back up again.

It really depends on if you're in a smaller town or the larger cities too. The larger cities (Dallas & Houston) is where its at money wise because they do more volume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 PM
 
2,982 posts, read 8,372,957 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
@ pepper, next time change your own light bulb and save the $20. Labor rates vary but if the shop charges $100/hour labor, a headlight bulb install may only bill for 1/10th hours of labor or whatever the case may be. It doesn't matter how long it takes him, the labor price is the same. Some jobs are billed as 8 hours of labor. If the tech finishes in 6, he still gets paid for 8.
.
Thank you. I now know how to change it myself. Used to change them myself when all you had to do was unscrew the plastic plate and change it out. That doesn't seem to exist any more. But I got it...now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 PM
 
205 posts, read 419,284 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I'm done with the dealership after yesterday - my friend had Bimmer doing a mobile repair on her Audi. I asked if they could replace a headlight in my Passat. He did it quick and charged me $20!!! I cannot imagine what it would have cost at the dealership!!!
I'm going to use them for at home oil changes and everything from now on. Oil change is around $95...only $15 more than the deal, but I don't have to leave my home.

BMS | Mobile Auto Repair | Foreign Auto Repair Service
Im not interested in what it cost to repair your car but looking for work wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 05:14 PM
 
205 posts, read 419,284 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've worked as a mechanic at a few dealerships in Texas both in Dallas & Houston.

Its usually very busy in the Summer time then slows down around December through the end of January & slowly picks back up again.

It really depends on if you're in a smaller town or the larger cities too. The larger cities (Dallas & Houston) is where its at money wise because they do more volume.

Thanks, thats what I wanted to know. Im looking for an area with a little more consistent work load. I know all dealers have some slow points but out here in Fl its gets really bad for 3-4 months of standing around for hours but gets super busy in the winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 AM
 
Location: East of the Rockies
260 posts, read 588,468 times
Reputation: 173
It slows down some around April 15 also plus the usual winter slowdown. I work on high end vehicles so that helps. There aren't many independents for my brand around either (unlike in Colorado, where there were tons). As I'm sure you're aware, warranty work times are getting worse, so working for an independent is starting to look attractive. Not sure what make you work on, but with 6 million people in the metroplex, there's plenty of dealerships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top