Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 07:57 AM

20 posts, read 41,805 times

Advertisements

Currently in my area Home Depot has a promotion going on with the power company that you can get a 4pk of 60w equivalent CFL bulbs for ~$2 (vs the normal $6) Anything like that in the Dallas area or should I stock up before I move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic3456 View Post
Currently in my area Home Depot has a promotion going on with the power company that you can get a 4pk of 60w equivalent CFL bulbs for ~$2 (vs the normal $6) Anything like that in the Dallas area or should I stock up before I move?
Aside from the fact they cast some of the worst light from any light bulb they have other environmental drawbacks. Assuming you don't like the light from CFLs I would wait for LED bulbs to gain more traction.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic3456 View Post
I have not noticed any special promotions on CFM bulbs other then normal weekly sales. I'm sure I will be making at least one stop at home depot this weekend. If I see anything I will post back here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Aside from the fact they cast some of the worst light from any light bulb they have other environmental drawbacks. Assuming you don't like the light from CFLs I would wait for LED bulbs to gain more traction.
Wow. That post was in no way relevant to what the OP asked. Good to know your stance on CFLs though.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Personally I wouldn't find it worth the hassle to move stuff like lightbulbs, etc.

Last edited by compSciGuy; 08-12-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I have not noticed any special promotions on CFM bulbs other then normal weekly sales. I'm sure I will be making at least one stop at home depot this weekend. If I see anything I will post back here.

Wow. That post was in no way relevant to what the OP asked. Good to know your stance on CFLs though.
You are awesome

Old 08-12-2011, 06:58 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Well they certainly had environmental drawbacks compared to LEDs; however, their is simply no valid argument that the environmental drawbacks are as great as those for incandescent lights. Yes there is some mercury in the bulbs, but they do not create nearly the amount of toxins, or pollutants to dispose of that burning the extra energy for incandescents does.

As for the light quality... yep definitely terrible. I have significant neurological problems, and I am not allowed to use normal CFLs because of the gap in the spectrum. Even when you see them rated in Kelvins it isn't accurate. Unlike an incandescent, or halogen they do not cover the full range of colors. They have gaps. They might cover all of orange and green, but have gaps in the middle of the blues and reds. I have to order special full spectrum CFLs - which anybody can - which actually match sunlight 93% and look better than leds, incandescents or halogens.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Never actually got a chance to get by HD this weekend. Probably best to just grab a few cases before you head out of town.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
You are awesome
And this hits just keep on coming.

The OP asked a simple question about Home Depot having a special on bulbs. Not your opinion on the pros and cons of different lighting technologies. If that's a discussion you want to have great. Start a thread about it. But why hijack one from someone just trying to get some simple info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas