Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM

161 posts, read 384,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Trying to impress people with your car is stupid though
I thought the same thing but it seems like EVERYONE in Uptown and North Dallas drives a luxury car. When you don't, deep down inside you start to feel poor and/or inadequate by comparison.

Dallas is exceptionally image conscious. While there is quite a lot of genuine wealth, there is quite a bit more unjustified pretense. As someone who already has a penchant for the finer things in life, I decided that living in Dallas at this point in my early career could only mean financial disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,799,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
They were from the 2009 tax returns.

Most young professionals I know in the Uptown crowd who were laid off (mostly real estate attorneys and finance guys) in late 2008/early 2009 were employed again within 6 months or so. I don't know anyone who has been "long term unemployed"- mostly because this demographic are 100% college graduates (4% unemployment vs 8% overall) and probably 50-60% grad school graduates (even lower than 4% u/e).
I'm betting they aren't making the big money they were making a few years ago though. I'm also guessing their credit access is a lot tighter as well.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I'm betting they aren't making the big money they were making a few years ago though. I'm also guessing their credit access is a lot tighter as well.
I think you may be out of touch (or just not exposed to) the realities of the 1/3 or so of "Uptown" (using that as synonomyous with well-paid young professionals in Dallas) that is highly paid.

A friend of mine is a finance guy. Rented in Uptown for about 10 years and just paid $1.8 MILLION IN CASH for a home in Highland Park.....and then he proceeded to hire a top notch decorator and architect for updates & decor. He is mid-30's. He's also the third or fourth friend of mine in their 30's who paid cash for a home in the past two years- all in Preston Hollow or the Park Cities.

Attorneys, especially the "big law" attorneys, are on salary schedules, so no- they aren't making less than they were a few years ago. It's common knowledge what a 3rd year, 4th, 5th, etc associate makes. So, for all my double-attorney couple friends (I know more than a few), it's easy to ballpark their hh incomes within $25-50k. Two 5th year attorneys at the prestigious firms would have combined income in the $400-500k range. That makes it pretty easy to afford their $400k starter homes in the M Streets or Devonshire, a car payment or two, nice clothes, dinners out, Mavs season tickets, etc -- with PLENTLY of money left over to save/invest.

Even us- we paid cash for a new luxury SUV earlier this year. I'm guessing if you saw me driving around, you'd assume I was leasing and that my "credit access was a lot tighter than a few years ago." You'd be wrong. Have great credit and my personal income (not hh) has increased about 30% since the "Great Recession" began. And I've made every dollar back that I lost in the 2008-2009 stock market.

Yes, there are a lot of car leases and maxed out credit cards in Dallas, but don't be fooled into thinking that every 20- or 30-something you see around town is maxed out because a good chunk of people who are doing quite well!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think you may be out of touch (or just not exposed to) the realities of the 1/3 or so of "Uptown" (using that as synonomyous with well-paid young professionals in Dallas) that is highly paid.

A friend of mine is a finance guy. Rented in Uptown for about 10 years and just paid $1.8 MILLION IN CASH for a home in Highland Park.....and then he proceeded to hire a top notch decorator and architect for updates & decor. He is mid-30's. He's also the third or fourth friend of mine in their 30's who paid cash for a home in the past two years- all in Preston Hollow or the Park Cities.

Attorneys, especially the "big law" attorneys, are on salary schedules, so no- they aren't making less than they were a few years ago. It's common knowledge what a 3rd year, 4th, 5th, etc associate makes. So, for all my double-attorney couple friends (I know more than a few), it's easy to ballpark their hh incomes within $25-50k. Two 5th year attorneys at the prestigious firms would have combined income in the $400-500k range. That makes it pretty easy to afford their $400k starter homes in the M Streets or Devonshire, a car payment or two, nice clothes, dinners out, Mavs season tickets, etc -- with PLENTLY of money left over to save/invest.

Even us- we paid cash for a new luxury SUV earlier this year. I'm guessing if you saw me driving around, you'd assume I was leasing and that my "credit access was a lot tighter than a few years ago." You'd be wrong. Have great credit and my personal income (not hh) has increased about 30% since the "Great Recession" began. And I've made every dollar back that I lost in the 2008-2009 stock market.

Yes, there are a lot of car leases and maxed out credit cards in Dallas, but don't be fooled into thinking that every 20- or 30-something you see around town is maxed out because a good chunk of people who are doing quite well!
It doesn't mean that people still aren't making good money. I just said the amount of people making that kind of money is a lot smaller.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:30 PM

What's with the recent movement for TV shows in Dallas/Fort Worth anyways?

-Most Eligible Dallas
-Big Rich Texas
-Dallas Divas & Daughters

Even HGTV is getting in on DFW with "Donna Designs Dallas" premiering in sometime this month.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:36 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,152,993 times
Don't forget "The A-List: Dallas" and the next edition of "Top Chef" which is called "Top Chef: Texas"

Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 PM

4,423 posts, read 6,249,583 times
And the announcement of Dallas being picked up by TNT as well as Good Christian ******es on ABC.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:10 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,669,333 times
Font forget that horrible show Texas Women on CMT

Old 09-04-2011, 05:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,799,810 times
There should be little debate about the quality of this show..Much like most reality shows the quality of the character of these people is low low low, and probably not an accurate depiction of the City and it's people. Best part of this show is the shots of the various locations of Dallas.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,669,333 times
Agreed...showing parts of Dallas and the surrounding suburbs on national tv with all of these shows is a good thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas