Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:48 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,886 times

Advertisements

I just moved from TX to MI, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how friendly Texans are (well, most of them). We do have fences, but we usually did all of our talking in the front yard or in the alley when taking out trash or pulling weeds, etc.

Honestly, this no fence thing the midwest has going on is annoying to me! I mean, yes, you can see your neighbors. But doesn't anyone want privacy? And I loved being able to let my kids play in the back yard, while I was in the family room with the back door open. I can't let them play like that here, because we don't have a FENCE! LOL!

I think you'll be fine in Texas. Hope you like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 51,878 times
I lived all my life in Ft Worth and then Dallas and now live in Florida. That is one of the BIG differences here in south Florida. I learned very quickly not to speak to strangers. Some people say Hi or whatever and if you look at them or answer, they will ask for a handout or they turn out to be strange. Evidently there are a lot of panhandlers in Florida and some strange people, so it just feels safer to not speak to anyone I do not know. There are exceptions, sometimes in the grocery store, if someone speaks to me first, but on the street- no not in Florida, but yes in Texas.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:44 PM

27 posts, read 98,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I just moved from TX to MI, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how friendly Texans are (well, most of them). We do have fences, but we usually did all of our talking in the front yard or in the alley when taking out trash or pulling weeds, etc.

Honestly, this no fence thing the midwest has going on is annoying to me! I mean, yes, you can see your neighbors. But doesn't anyone want privacy? And I loved being able to let my kids play in the back yard, while I was in the family room with the back door open. I can't let them play like that here, because we don't have a FENCE! LOL!

I think you'll be fine in Texas. Hope you like it!
I'm sorry you are annoyed khfar. I thought the post was an interesting question and from what I always heard, Texans are very friendly. That is why it struck us a little odd, and we too wondered if people really wanted to distance themselves from their neighbors. I am sure there are some, but these responses were very informative, eased my mind.
We have always had a fence here in Illinois, kept kids safe and stray animals out. I too like a fence, but it is not seen in nearly as many yards here as in Texas, and as I said, most of our towns prohibit 6-8 fences. I really appreciate Stargazers "history lesson", very interesting, and others responses too!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb2153 View Post
I'm sorry you are annoyed khfar. I thought the post was an interesting question and from what I always heard, Texans are very friendly. That is why it struck us a little odd, and we too wondered if people really wanted to distance themselves from their neighbors. I am sure there are some, but these responses were very informative, eased my mind.
We have always had a fence here in Illinois, kept kids safe and stray animals out. I too like a fence, but it is not seen in nearly as many yards here as in Texas, and as I said, most of our towns prohibit 6-8 fences. I really appreciate Stargazers "history lesson", very interesting, and others responses too!
I think you misunderstood me! The post was not annoying at all - I didn't mean to imply that. I'm just annoyed by my area here, not allowing fences. That's all. I realize that it's just the way things are here, so I'm getting used to it.

I think that, no matter where you move, there will always be something that just isn't "right" to you...know what I mean?

Sorry if my previous post came across the wrong way.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:42 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Having wandered across many parts of Texas, and other areas mentioned as well -- generally in Texas, a "Howdy" or lack of tends to be an efficiency and effectiveness thing. Not anything personal. In rural areas where you see maybe 10 to 50 people max in a day, everyone says Hello. In a denser city center where you run across or deal with 100's or even a thousand a day -- not so. Everyone would have to spend the day just saying Hello a thousand times.

As Sally observed, other areas have other issues. Done some time in South Florida, and yeah, there are a lot of bums and crazy folks there, and a Howdy is ID'ed as chump and a target by the them.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 9,825 times
Speaking as a sixth generation Dallasite, it is rude not to at least smile. If you don't it is a dead giveaway that you are an implant and probably won't be here too much longer OR you're a criminal. HA!! Ladies here will not smile or make eye contact when popping into 7-11 at night, that's asking for trouble. They will however, give a big ole 'Mornin' or Hi! when the sun is up and they feel safe.
If you are a gentleman and new to our Dallas, please know that women still appreciate it when you hold the door open. Don't make a big deal out of it and expect her phone number in return. Just tip your hat and smile.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:11 PM

22 posts, read 163,606 times
We moved to North Dallas a little over a year ago and I love it here. People are friendly without being invasive. I am admittedly not a people person, but I smile, nod, wave, say hi, and get the same in return. Even the airport security people at DFW are nice.... It's actually a little strange

Old 08-16-2007, 12:41 PM

88 posts, read 301,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Hi y'all:

I was wondering if it is common in Dallas suburbs to just say hi to people walking by while you are walking down the street or say Good morning!. Maybe I have become too much of a Minnesotan(or Midwesterner), but saying hi to people walking down the street is very common here and I love this about Minnesota. Living in Houston and Phoenix, it was the total opposite, you would say hi to a neighbor, they would look at you like you are out of my mind. Once again, maybe I am too much of a Minnesotan, but living next door to a neighbor and not knowing who they are just seems so weird to me. Also, starting small talk with ppl at grocery stores and other places is VERY acceptable and very common here, my fiance is so used to it, it is totally small town Minnesota culture. Can we be Minnesotans in the Dallas suburbs and maybe spread around some of this "Minnesota Nice?" without being seen as lunatics?
I've lived in Dallas several times (mostly in the Lewisville/Flower Mound/Frisco areas) and I like it a lot for this reason. The thing is, I have found this to be the case in every city in Texas because I have lived in or visited every regional capital of the state. I am currently living in Houston and love it too because of this same situation. Where the heck in Houston did you run into these unfriendly people? I would like to know so I can either avoid this area or go to it and thock these people that treated you as such on the melon! I don't put up people like that in this state (we can't let what happened to Florida happen here and lose touch with the spirit and heart of this grand institution!). Please let me know. P.S.: I love the friendly in-state rivalry between these cities too! It makes this state so strong and appealing to live in! It's great! Cheers!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:25 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
Speaking as a sixth generation Dallasite, it is rude not to at least smile. If you don't it is a dead giveaway that you are an implant and probably won't be here too much longer OR you're a criminal. HA!! Ladies here will not smile or make eye contact when popping into 7-11 at night, that's asking for trouble. They will however, give a big ole 'Mornin' or Hi! when the sun is up and they feel safe.
If you are a gentleman and new to our Dallas, please know that women still appreciate it when you hold the door open. Don't make a big deal out of it and expect her phone number in return. Just tip your hat and smile.
Wow, you nailed it. I just moved back from Wisconsin and besides this being the first hot week of the year, I'm totally loving it. It's so nice to not be glowered at and have doors slammed in your face!

We met one neighbor the day we closed and have chatted with them several times. They even offered to let us borrow one of their bikes when first the truck, then bike wouldn't start. Haven't met the other neighbors, but they've all waved when outside. (I'll stand outside and chat when it drops below 100 )

Old 08-16-2007, 09:12 PM

27 posts, read 98,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I think you misunderstood me! The post was not annoying at all - I didn't mean to imply that. I'm just annoyed by my area here, not allowing fences. That's all. I realize that it's just the way things are here, so I'm getting used to it.

I think that, no matter where you move, there will always be something that just isn't "right" to you...know what I mean?

Sorry if my previous post came across the wrong way.
Oops! Sorry I misunderstood! It is sad when you can't put a fence on your own property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas