Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 PM

546 posts, read 1,814,796 times

Advertisements

My family is planning to relocate to the North Dallas area from the Denver area within the next year or less. My husband will be working in Richardson, TX. We have two boys ages 1 and 3. I am very excited about this move because I will finally be able to take a break from my career and stay home with my children (we cannot afford to do that here in Colorado). We want to spend about $225k - $250k for a home. I am also a person who loves the heat and HATES the cold winters. I grew up in CA.

I am worried because when we tell people we are planning on moving they act like we are CRAZY. Sure we live in a beautiful state and in a nice area, but the reason we are moving is job opportunity, closer to family, cost of living AND to escape snow. The biggest factor is I want to stay home with my boys and can afford to do that in Dallas. Does anyone have advice on where we should live? We are looking into Frisco, McKinney, Plano and Richardson. I want good schools and a good place for kids. Of course here in CO we like to get outdoors a lot. Are there places like that in north Dallas? I know we are giving up the mountains...I just mean trails, etc.
Any advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 10:39 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,227,279 times
Garland, Richardson, Plano, Rowlett, and Dallas all have wonderful parks and trails and thats just the ones I know of. I'm sure there more up towards Frisco as well.

We have several lakes that are good for fishing, and boating.

There's a nature preserve on Holford road in far north Garland. Lots of great woods, and walking trails. It's all protected land so its never going to be developed.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 AM

63 posts, read 206,305 times
There are many. Check out the DORBA maintained trails.

DORBA Trail Conditions 0.99 (http://www.dorba.org/cgi-bin/trails/index.cgi - broken link)

Old 08-15-2007, 01:44 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,785,744 times
Breckinridge Park in Richardson, Spring Creek Nature Preserve in Garland are just a few. There is another HUGE bike trail that is just east of 75 south of Renner. Nothing but trees and a bike path.

Hawaiian Falls WaterPark too Can't forget the waterparks for the summer

Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 PM

170 posts, read 472,811 times
Default To Winter

We know just how you feel. Some years ago we moved from Central Cal to the Atlanta area. Everyone we met asked us why we did it. It was hard to come up with a good answer and after a year we moved back. I am sure the same thing happens with a move from CO. too. Good luck. I hope you REALLY love heat. I do too, but Dallas has it in such extremes it was too much for our family. The flat land takes getting used to also. They do have lots of shopping

Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,088,293 times
White Rock Lake is the mecca for nature lovers here - search here for that and threads about Lakewood.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 PM

81 posts, read 261,461 times
First of all let me say I'm sorry.

We moved from Denver to Dallas. Now we are leaving!!

You won't like it. Coming from colorado, you'll miss a lot. to much of a culture shock. It's visualy ugly here, the weather is terrible unless you like humidity and heat. no more brisk cool mornings. Lots of bugs. bible belt.

I hope this is a temporary move. There is a reason it's dirt cheap to live here.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 9,813 times
I've lived in Dallas my whole life and HATE coming back after a CO vacation. I'd be happier in a double wide trailer in CO. than any McMansion here.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:04 PM

81 posts, read 261,461 times
I hear you. You should leave, life is too short to live like this.

I have met a few people who love it here, but they are natives and havent been out of the state much. They even vacation in Texas.

My dad said, does anyone really go to Texas for the weather, scenery or a vacation.

It is cheap to live here, we have a huge house that would cost 900K in colorado, here it's cheap. It's fine if you want to stay within your 4 walls. We do have a pool, but swating the bugs away while you try to swim gets irritating. Southlake is nice to walk around, but again, it's usually so hot out it's not pleasant. I have had it with Tex Mex.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 PM

20 posts, read 144,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
You won't like it. Coming from colorado, you'll miss a lot. to much of a culture shock. It's visualy ugly here, the weather is terrible unless you like humidity and heat. no more brisk cool mornings. Lots of bugs. bible belt.

I hope this is a temporary move. There is a reason it's dirt cheap to live here.
Wow - a bit presumptuous of you, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas