Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times

Advertisements

Certain realtors specialize in particular areas. Some are completely clueless as to in-town neighborhoods. They only know municipalities and quickly judge based on city name alone. Regrettably, suburban based realtors judge a city like Dallas as if it were a monolith. That is a big mistake. Look in Dallas neighborhoods like the following:

Uptown (abutting downtown on the north side, its a nice, well kept urban area with high rises, mid rises and a few town-homes closer to Knox-Henderson and Cole Park. There is everything you need within walking distance and a trolley).

Turtle Creek (north and west of Uptown, it is an urban area with high rises, a large park and town-homes. But it is expensive)

North Oak Cliff (this is a revitalizing area south of Downtown. Great access to downtown over a bridge, and they are building a street car. It is the most bohemian area of Dallas. And if you don't have kids, it is a fine place to live. You'll be able to get a house or town home here. Look around Bishop Arts and get a realtor that specializes in that area).

Lakewood/East Dallas. This area is also a bit bohemian. But since it has risen so much in value, it is now more of a liberal leaning/artsy area. You can get a townhome in the area. And there are a lot of cute older homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 AM

81 posts, read 218,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
$1500 for a house is going to be VERY difficult, especially in the urban areas close to downtown. That is probably why your agent is sending you listings out in the suburbs.
What would normal rent be? We just need something with a yard... so a townhome, duplex, etc. would be OK, too. I found several listings on my own for well under $1500, but I wasn't too familiar with the areas at the time. However, in looking at everyone's replies, it looks like they are in areas we would like.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzys View Post
What would normal rent be? We just need something with a yard... so a townhome, duplex, etc. would be OK, too. I found several listings on my own for well under $1500, but I wasn't too familiar with the areas at the time. However, in looking at everyone's replies, it looks like they are in areas we would like.
Show us the listings (using Realtor.com due to City-Data's restrictions).

Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
I will add to TurtleCreek80's mention of zip code 75219 (search google map) which is generally Oak Lawn, a re-furbishing near downtown suburb. The area is tearing down older 1920's or later homes and replacing them with townhones - 4 to the same lot. Some of these may have smallish fenced areas.

The area would be bounded (for this purpose) by the Dallas North Tollway on the west, Turtle Creek (creek) on the east and Highland Park on the North. Within that area, between Lemmon Ave and Highland Park, is called North Oak Lawn. There are three streets in North OakLawn that have older homes, older duplex style homes and newer townhomes and condo's. This is a sought after area and entirely suitable. I've walked my dog up and down those streets and alleys most any time of day or night without incident. Many of these duplex homes have fenced yards.

There are three streets in that North Oak Lawn area with several of the duplex style homes... Hawthorne, Prescott, and Herschel. There is bus service on Oak Lawn/Preston that links directly to City Place where you can get on the light rail headed into or out of downtown. City Place is the first rail stop out of downtown, so may be equally convenient to just stay on the bus.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Show us the listings (using Realtor.com due to City-Data's restrictions).
I've never used Realtor.com but when I put in 2 of the addresses it says no result.. here are some details, hope this is OK:
3 bedroom home in 75214 - $1500
2 bedroom home in 75206 - $1495

These are both zip codes that someone suggested previously.

And here is one I did find on realtor.com

4826 W University Blvd Dallas TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11640145 - Realtor.com®

What do you think?? This may not be within walking distance to anything, though, and 75209 wasn't a zip code anyone suggested, I don't think.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:12 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
The University Dr one is not within walking distance to anything except the Dr. Pepper distributor and the Frontiers of Flight Museum. (Be careful around Love Field.)

Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM

I was afraid of that but it is a cute house! Ah well... I just registered with a website that is supposed to assign me a realtor to send me uptown area listings. We shall see!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
I was afraid of that but it is a cute house! Ah well... I just registered with a website that is supposed to assign me a realtor to send me uptown area listings. We shall see!
75209 is fine, but stay east of Inwood when you're south of Lovers Lane. The address you posted is in a pretty high crime/poverty pocket.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
75214 Lakewood/Junius Heights 76206 Cochran Heights/Vickery Place/Lower Greenville/M-Streets and 75223 Hollywood Heights are not going to have many listings on Realtor.com. Many individual landlords so it's best to use craigslist, drive around, pick up a copy of the Dallas Observer and look in the back..

Junius Heights sounds like a good fit for you...

Also look for the two-story, two-bedroom duplexes - many times in the Tudor style with brick and rock embellishments and have a side porch. Those are all over 75206 and parts of 75214.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
75214 Lakewood/Junius Heights 76206 Cochran Heights/Vickery Place/Lower Greenville/M-Streets and 75223 Hollywood Heights are not going to have many listings on Realtor.com. Many individual landlords so it's best to use craigslist, drive around, pick up a copy of the Dallas Observer and look in the back..

Junius Heights sounds like a good fit for you...

Also look for the two-story, two-bedroom duplexes - many times in the Tudor style with brick and rock embellishments and have a side porch. Those are all over 75206 and parts of 75214.
Ooh, oh, great info! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas