Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Consider your HOA increased at some point soon.
There's no HOA where I live. We have city ordinances with teeth and inspectors to actually enforce them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's no HOA where I live. We have city ordinances with teeth and inspectors to actually enforce them.
Its sounds like my dream Town. In my current town we have rules too but idiots that are missing teeth finding excuses not to enforce them.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Its sounds like my dream Town. In my current town we have rules too but idiots that are missing teeth finding excuses not to enforce them.
Basically we have some of the same 'common courtesy' laws that a reasonable HOA would have, i.e. no parking on grass, no boats/trailers in front or in front driveways, must keep grass cut, must keep trees trimmed, etc. but with none of the ridiculousness like having to choose exterior paint from a small palette of colors, being told what kind of flowers/trees we can and can't plant, etc. We don't have to have matching mailboxes either. Y'know...all of the good parts without any of the silliness.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
I enjoy the way people get all pissy about HOA's. Sometimes they can be terribly run, but that's easy to find out. Other than that, it's not like your life is impacted in any appreciable way. How many people are going to paint their house some outlandish color that would be banned? Maybe 1 out of every 10,000.

I live in one of the most expensive (dues-wise) and detailed HOA's in the area, and you know how much it has affected me? Not a bit. Except for the fact that everything looks nice.

And you know how many people are turned down for additions and such? Virtually no one, because they hire a competent designer who makes something that looks nice. The only people turned down are those who want to use duct tape and silly putty to make an addition.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I enjoy the way people get all pissy about HOA's. Sometimes they can be terribly run, but that's easy to find out. Other than that, it's not like your life is impacted in any appreciable way. How many people are going to paint their house some outlandish color that would be banned? Maybe 1 out of every 10,000.

I live in one of the most expensive (dues-wise) and detailed HOA's in the area, and you know how much it has affected me? Not a bit. Except for the fact that everything looks nice.

And you know how many people are turned down for additions and such? Virtually no one, because they hire a competent designer who makes something that looks nice. The only people turned down are those who want to use duct tape and silly putty to make an addition.
Exactly! If you just follow the rules it has NO bearing on your day to day life. I don't know what all the hub-up is all about HOAs being all bad. In my limited time in DFW and experience I have seen what appear to be very well run HOA neighborhoods I have been thoroughly impressed with.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:10 AM

301 posts, read 570,725 times
Quote:
Exactly! If you just follow the rules it has NO bearing on your day to day life. I don't know what all the hub-up is all about HOAs being all bad. In my limited time in DFW and experience I have seen what appear to be very well run HOA neighborhoods I have been thoroughly impressed with.
I just think telling me what kind of flowers I can plant goes a bit far. If I chose to move into a very strict HOA neighborhood I would deal with it. My new neighborhood has a basic and reasonable HOA which costs 100/yr. We have a pool in our backyard and already free membership at a community Rec ctr thanks to DH working for the city in which it's located. Our neighborhood looks very well kept up so it's working for us. I did like Wellington a lot (favorite area is the streets around Native Oak and Cape Brett) but between wanting a large lot and knowing my DH would complain about their HOA this is probably a better fit.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,118 times
Thanks so much for all of the feedback! I will certainly keep all of this in mind as we move forward in our home purchase!

Old 09-25-2011, 07:50 AM

17 posts, read 25,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
re: Bridlewood--You do get some nice facilities out of it...at least one pool, playgrounds, tennis courts, etc. Not sure of the specifics.

Wellington Dues are $640/year and out of it you get:

2 beautiful pools with lifeguards
Ponds
Basketball/tennis courts
Multiple playgrounds
Access to a fitness center (it isn't huge, but it is well kept and you have the basics.)
Group exercise classes (not a huge selection, but they are free)
A summer swim team (with a minimal fee)
Neighborhood activities--they throw an amazing end-of-school pool bash every year with free food, games, and a DJ

Plus the landscaping, maintenance, etc. that come with an HOA.

I say that's a pretty good deal! They can be annoying, but I think Wellington is WAY better off with one than without
BW has

2 beautiful pools with lifeguards
A golf course with clubhouse you can eat at
Equestrian Center
Basketball/tennis courts AND Fitness Center
Multiple playgrounds
An Elementary school
Group exercise classes (not a huge selection, but they are free)
Neighborhood activities and Clubs

Plus the landscaping, maintenance, etc. that come with an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas