U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 PM

161 posts, read 195,178 times
Default University Park near SMU -- A good investment?

Call me crazy but I've always found the cottages east of SMU Boulevard right off Central Expressway to be charming. I understand this isn't HPISD but the location is perfect and one can still say they live in University Park. My question is, is this area a smart investment or should I look elsewhere?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,535,340 times
Being "east of SMU Blvd" is impossible as it runs east-west. Did you mean east of 75? If so, it's not in UP. I think there are 2 city blocks east of 75 in UP but they aren't residential. It's some SMU facilities.

The HPISD boundary runs all the way to 75 from Southwestern south to Mockingbird so I can't really figure out where the prospective property is??

Are you buying for yourself or for rental property? If rental property, who is your target renter? If families, it MUST be in HPISD to command top dollar rent. If SMU students, be aware that the school is building mandatory sophomore dorms which will open in 2 years and will cut the number of SMU students renting by 1/3 (only upperclassman). There is expected to be excess rental inventory that students have lived in that may/may not be suitable for families wanting HPISD. So think through app these things. If the property is east of 75 (not in HPISD or UP), just make sure your paying market rate for the area east of 75, which has NO correlation to prices in HPISD. Still could bs a good investment but don't overpay thinking it's UP (it isn't).

Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 AM

6,792 posts, read 9,260,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
Call me crazy but I've always found the cottages east of SMU Boulevard right off Central Expressway to be charming. I understand this isn't HPISD but the location is perfect and one can still say they live in University Park. My question is, is this area a smart investment or should I look elsewhere?
If it is on the east side on Central, one cannot still say they live in UP...but they can say they live in the M streets vicinity. Are you perhaps referring to the Knox-Henderson area?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM

15,955 posts, read 25,125,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The HPISD boundary runs all the way to 75 from Southwestern south to Mockingbird.
Not exactly - two small portions are in a much better school attendance zone!

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...Wilson2011.pdf

Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM

My bad. The area I'm referring to is just north of SMU Boulevard. It's an eclectic mix of fraternity houses and smaller homes. I'm interested in buying for myself.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Not exactly - two small portions are in a much better school attendance zone!

http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...Wilson2011.pdf
Those 2 blocks are not residential; they're the site of the old Mrs Baird's bakery and the new SMU intramural fields off Mockingbird and the site of that church and montessori school off Lovers. No houses west of 75 are in Woodrow's attendance zone.

And calling Woodrow better than HPHS? ......dream on, Lakewooder!!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
My bad. The area I'm referring to is just north of SMU Boulevard. It's an eclectic mix of fraternity houses and smaller homes. I'm interested in buying for myself.
They're in UP and HPISD. If it's an older smaller home, it will basically sell for lot value. Potential for appreciation will be whenever new construction heats up again- then the builders will be your potential buyers when you go to sell.

It is definitely a good buy for the price though to have UP city services (fire, police, trash, etc) and the country club-like city amenitites (parks, tennis courts, pools) for probably in the $550-$700k range in today's market.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 PM

15,955 posts, read 25,125,284 times
Originally there were plans by SMU to build new dorms on the Mrs. Baird's site. BTW, one of my contemporaries just gave $5 million to get one of the new dorms named.. !

There is also a section of UP east of Central in the Woodrow feeder system - no residential unless some buildings have been converted.

We've had transfers from HPHS to Woodrow over the years - in the past, tuition was paid by them to go to the better school!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally there were plans by SMU to build new dorms on the Mrs. Baird's site. BTW, one of my contemporaries just gave $5 million to get one of the new dorms named.. !
good for you?

Quote:
There is also a section of UP east of Central in the Woodrow feeder system - no residential unless some buildings have been converted.
No part of UP (with housing on it) currently feeds to Woodrow. The part north of Southwestern that feeds into DISD (about 1/2 block going west from Boedecker) feeds into Hillcrest. I belive HP west of the tollroad feeds into TJ.

Quote:
We've had transfers from HPHS to Woodrow over the years - in the past, tuition was paid by them to go to the better school!
Yes, you have, but that doesn't mean their homes were zoned for Woodrow. The tution plan allowed any student/ any district to transfer in. The ones I know who transfered out of HPISD and into DISD did so for 2 reasons: had problems fitting in to HP schools or had a much stronger chance of either getting top 10% (for UT) or higher class rank (for T20 schools) from DISD than from HPHS.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks TC80. Speaking of HP west of the toll, I found a fixer upper/tear down for $350k. Is this part ooif HP a sound investment even though its not HPISD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas