Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The article was about as comedic as the show.

This is what I got from it anyways...

Dallas homes are huge, Los Angeles is who we look up to, we're so cosmopolitan when the real diversity is in our suburbs, palm trees don't do so well in Dallas, those three man are obviously homosexuals who don't know fashion very well.

Check
Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. Your usual go-to list of phantom complaints about Dallas has nothing to do with that article. And the fact that you chose to point out that somebody in a picture might be homosexual in a patronizing made-up list of negatives makes me glad you don't live in my town. Keep that insecurity bottled up with you in East Texas where it belongs.

Check

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 03-08-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Why doesn't Dallas embrace it's Southern culture. You can still be a large bustling metropolis with it's own signature Southern flair. It should be proud of that instead of trying to be a wannabe Los Angeles. It's a fruitless endeavor. Dallas will never be non-Southern. It's never going to be Los Angeles nor will it ever be seen that way. Instead of adoping that mindset, do the opposite and embrace your culture and be Dallas, don't try to be another city. The accents were exaggerated but the comments on this thread are just as exaggerated. Someone wrote that 95% of the people don't have accents in Dallas which is just as ridiulous of an exaggeration.
I have never gotten the impression that Dallas is just trying to be Los Angeles. Yes, Dallas goes a bit over the top trying to be fancy and cosmopolitan. I'm not sure how that always equates to trying to be Los Angeles.

I have to disagree with you about Dallas and its southern culture. Dallas's culture is a hodge-podge of southern, midwestern, and southwestern/Mexican. Yes, people have accents in Dallas. But they are accents native to North Texas for the most part, not the deep south. There is a difference. You're right that it's nothing to get overly angry about. It's just a silly show. But it is an inaccurate portrayal.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:16 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
My neighbors are all from California and the Northeast, none of them have accents and none of them are Evangelical Protestants. Dallas is changing for the better.
But your location is McKinney...

Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I am a native of Dallas and have lived in Dallas all my life except for a few years in Houston, University Park and another Dallas suburb. My sister has lived in Los Angeles for many years.

I don't know of anyone who wants Dallas to be like Los Angeles.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I have never gotten the impression that Dallas is just trying to be Los Angeles. Yes, Dallas goes a bit over the top trying to be fancy and cosmopolitan. I'm not sure how that always equates to trying to be Los Angeles.

I have to disagree with you about Dallas and its southern culture. Dallas's culture is a hodge-podge of southern, midwestern, and southwestern/Mexican. Yes, people have accents in Dallas. But they are accents native to North Texas for the most part, not the deep south. There is a difference. You're right that it's nothing to get overly angry about. It's just a silly show. But it is an inaccurate portrayal.
I so very much agree with this. LA and Dallas (I've lived in both) have a lot of natural similarities...they were built out at similar times, are both enormously spread out, and have warm weather most of the year. The conspicuous consumption is horrible in both places...but I think it's for different reasons in each.

I'm fourth generation Dallasite, and don't have much of an accent. The Dallas I grew up in - suburban Dallas in the 70's - was full of transplants even then. This is almost more of a midwestern town than a Southern town, despite how much we like to romanticize the country/southern aspect of things here. Even so, we still have our traditions, and the new residents often seem to embrace them. What's not to like about BBQ, pinto beans and cold beer?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
What's not to like about BBQ, pinto beans and cold beer?

Never was a fan of BBQ...until I got to Texas. Love Texas-style BBQ and those spicy cowboy beans to go with it!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times

FYI all, for those that missed this "wonderful" show's debut, the pilot will be airing again this evening, 9pm central time on ABC!

Stand back TC80, don't want you poking your eyes out just yet!

See y'all on THE I-20!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Effin' fake accents make it almost unwatchable.

WTF? When did it turn deep south around here?

If you can get past that, it might be fun.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-08-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
I watched it again last night and I think im starting to like it even more. Yeah its corny at times with the cowboy talk, but its kinda interesting...Alot of people planned on hating this show before they even watched it...

Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Love those Swiss homes!!

The wife and I finally got around to watching it today and it's funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas