Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizkoteck View Post
Yaknow, the only people whos making race into an issue are the ones not happy with their own skin color and read up all the slavery, discrimination, Malcolm X books. Theres affirmative action and EOP and Housing, stop complaining.
The OP and I share the commonality of race...but we're still two different people---he's an MD, and I'm a customer service rep in the printing industry...

And yaknow, the only people making an issue of what's posted here would be, hmmmm...you...

For the record, I'm pretty doggone happy with my skin color, thank you very much...and I have read up on slavery and discrimination, and I've also read the "Autobiography Of Malcolm X"...I've never (to my knowledge, in 55 years on this earth) been hired somehwere based on Affirmative Action, Equal Employment (got hired on my merits, not due to some blasted program), nor ever had a problem with housing in any way shape or form...

"Stop complaining"? You wish, son...If I or the OP or anyone else has something to say on this thread, then post/complain we will, not for a moment needing the approval of someone sitting in the glow of their PC , yapping like an overheated Jack Russell terrier...

Find something more constructive to do with your time besides thinking you can tell folks on a chat forum to basically shut up---not gonna happen, sporty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
ROFLMAO.

Most TV shows now exist in other markets. You have to be in that demographic to know about it and have to order that cable package.

For example, "master chef" and "dancing with the stars" exist in just about every market that can carry it.

Shows how much the OP hangs out with people for whom English is a second language.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:01 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,900 times
I don't usually complain about the lack of diversity on TV, but there is one egregious offender on television: The Real World.

RW premiered in 1992(!), airs its 26th season this fall, and still has YET to have even ONE asian male. They've had a female asian females, and this fall's cast has one, but no asian males. I don't care if the asian male is the most white-washed person on the planet, it's still beyond ridiculous they haven't had even one Japanese or Chinese or Indian or whatever male on that show.

To their "credit," a few years ago on Challenge: Fresh Meat II, one of the fresh meat was an Indian male, the first asian male ever on such a show, Noor Jehangir. He's from Austin too. But he's isn't one of the Fresh Meat from that season to end up on future seasons of Challenge. That's only reserved for the non-Asian folk.

I know RW is dumb and all about boozing and sexing it up, but come on, 26 seasons since 1992 and no Asian Males? Not even thinking about one after Yul Kwon wins Survivor? Inexcuseable in my book.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
The point is more, as much a people say they're comfortable with things, television and commercials to some extent tell a contrary tale.
It's not realistic to look at TV to get a slice of real life. While I'll grant you that TV is known for introducing topics/subjects that can be sometimes shown as a barometer of the times, it is certainly not an accurate, overall representation.

If it were, then all the "black humor" shows, would be true to life also, and of course, most of those are so heavily stereotyped that it's truly a wonder to me that any black people watch them at all, and I don't know any white people who do.

As far as race portrayals on tv, if anything, I find that tv is becoming more segregated than it used to be. For example, 20-30 years ago, tv and commercials were predominately featuring white people... but they'd thrown in a token black, hispanic, or asian person in them. Over the years, more and more of these "token" actors were used, until by about 10 years ago, I truly felt that commercials were representing everyone fairly equally. The past couple of years though, I think we've regressed a bit.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
It's not realistic to look at TV to get a slice of real life. While I'll grant you that TV is known for introducing topics/subjects that can be sometimes shown as a barometer of the times, it is certainly not an accurate, overall representation.

If it were, then all the "black humor" shows, would be true to life also, and of course, most of those are so heavily stereotyped that it's truly a wonder to me that any black people watch them at all, and I don't know any white people who do.

As far as race portrayals on tv, if anything, I find that tv is becoming more segregated than it used to be. For example, 20-30 years ago, tv and commercials were predominately featuring white people... but they'd thrown in a token black, hispanic, or asian person in them. Over the years, more and more of these "token" actors were used, until by about 10 years ago, I truly felt that commercials were representing everyone fairly equally. The past couple of years though, I think we've regressed a bit.
Agreed.

I won't even get into the loss of The Cosby Show. The Cosby Show was an excellent showing and one of the most positive potrayals of a black family ever. It's reverberations are still felt and few recent afro-centric tv shows can match it.
A complete black family, no one got hooked on drugs, Lisa Bonet went to Howard...sorry Hillman. Sabrina Labeouf was perfect. Of course, they never explained how they had biracial and a Louisiana créole daughter, but oh well. The show was so good that Raven Symoné (incorrectly accented btw) is still getting paid.
Attached Thumbnails
Diversity is the path to evil-mv5bmti3ode3mtm4nf5bml5banbnxkftztywmdeymdq2._v1._sx420_sy280_.jpg  

Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
"Stop complaining"? You wish, son...If I or the OP or anyone else has something to say on this thread, then post/complain we will, not for a moment needing the approval of someone sitting in the glow of their PC , yapping like an overheated Jack Russell terrier...

Find something more constructive to do with your time besides thinking you can tell folks on a chat forum to basically shut up---not gonna happen, sporty
Love it!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Agreed.

I won't even get into the loss of The Cosby Show. The Cosby Show was an excellent showing and one of the most positive potrayals of a black family ever. It's reverberations are still felt and few recent afro-centric tv shows can match it.
A complete black family, no one got hooked on drugs, Lisa Bonet went to Howard...sorry Hillman. Sabrina Labeouf was perfect. Of course, they never explained how they had biracial and a Louisiana créole daughter, but oh well. The show was so good that Raven Symoné (incorrectly accented btw) is still getting paid.
Quite right. And now, shows featuring all black cast/families seem to be deliberately "anti-Cosby," for lack of a more succinct way to put it. And unfortunately, I think it's sending the wrong message to its intended audience.

I remember when Bill used to speak out openly against up and coming black comics who got laughs with vulgarity and racism, vs his own intelligent wit and clever anecdotes. He was ganged up on and accused of being "white." I always thought that was pretty ironic, because I don't know any white person that thought of Cosby as white, but merely thought of him as successful and educated.

Oh well, I'm just going to attribute it to the overall downward spiral our society seems to be heading toward.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I do. I'm afraid you may have spent too much time in Branson.
Perhaps the fact that I don't own a television has something to do with it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
I won't even get into the loss of The Cosby Show... Of course, they never explained how they had biracial and a Louisiana créole daughter, but ...
I just have to mention the interesting story about why Lisa Bonet got kicked off the Cosby Show. Apparently she was tired of playing Miss Goody Two Shoes on COS, and well, to put it bluntly, the sex scene she did with Mickey Rourke in Angel Heart was just ... something. Not even sure what. Incredible? Amazing? Shocking? Bill apparently thought it was sick. It was that too.

If you've never seen Angel Heart, you must - but not with the kids. Read nothing about it, just watch it. Mickey Rourke, Lisa Bonet, Robert DeNiro. What more could you ask for?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I just have to mention the interesting story about why Lisa Bonet got kicked off the Cosby Show. Apparently she was tired of playing Miss Goody Two Shoes on COS, and well, to put it bluntly, the sex scene she did with Mickey Rourke in Angel Heart was just ... something. Not even sure what. Incredible? Amazing? Shocking? Bill apparently thought it was sick. It was that too.

If you've never seen Angel Heart, you must - but not with the kids. Read nothing about it, just watch it. Mickey Rourke, Lisa Bonet, Robert DeNiro. What more could you ask for?
I personally (yes, just my opinion) thought Angel Heart was one of the worst movies ever. The emoting acting was horrible. "You're just.....an angel at heart". Now, it might not be as bad as Star Wars Episodes 1,2,3, which capture the worst acting awards of all time. Lucas gave us a big middle finger to keep Jar Jar in all 3. Natalie Portman was awful, although she's picked up her game in her recent movies.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

BTW, the worst scene was when Portman fell out of a speeder, crashed to the ground, rolled down multiple times, then just bounced up like nothing happened, ready to fight.

"Are you OK? Yes" Saw it yesterday on some cable channel.

I remember seeing episode 1 in a theater and the audience laughing at the bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas