Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:05 PM

119 posts, read 246,996 times

Advertisements

You could also consider getting a Master's too... That's what I did and I was scooped up quickly by a community college in the DFW area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,602,807 times
if you like to write, like working with language, and teaching consider getting info about the programs for instructional designers--and curriculum designers
they work with various means of teaching through technology--
many schools, public and private, lower grades and college+, and almost any business that upgrades the skills of its employees are moving to internet and off-site training/teaching
people to run those programs and create the products are needed--

if you are good with computers and like web design go to site like Dice.com and see the types of jobs that are available for people who can design web sites for training purposes--
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/ser...esigner&WHERE=

many of these jobs are contract vs permanent employment but there are companies whose business is working as contractors on large projects for specific skills tranining packages--and in specific fields like medicine, technology, mechanics...even things like driver training programs for people who want to get insurance reduction or work off a ticket...they are designed by someone...
larger companies have big departments devoted to this--especially those who deal with government contracts like Bell Helicopter
McDonald's is all about the training because they want a uniform product and production uniformity requires training...

companies will spend money to do that and in some fields where professional accreditation means updating periodically there is lot of time/money spent doing it
Internet based training is the wave of the future
most of it is boring and poorly put together--some companies try to sent it overseas and have it done in India, China, or Ireland but the language fluency is really not the same...

some colleges--and very good ones, not diploma mills--have on-line degrees in instructional design so you don't have to be going to class where you live
believe it or not the University of Wyoming has one of the better programs as does Indiana University
UNT and Texas A&M have programs in this field--and I think A&M has a distance learning program from one branch...

my son has a MA in creative writing and a BS in English and secondary education--he taught for probably 5 yrs then went back for his MA--wanted to get a PhD but he really missed the curve-
was just too old to get accepted into a qualify program--if you can't make a top 12 you cant get decent tenure track job
so he found work doing instructional design and worked his way up==without his credentials though he is not really getting paid for what his work effort accomplishes...

there are good websites with info about instructional design and curriculum designers on line
ASTD - ASTD

Instructional Design Certificate or Masters Degree « Experiencing E-Learning

http://christytucker.wordpress.com/i...esign-careers/

this woman works in instructional design and uses her website to pass along lot of info about the profession

I tried to get my son to do that when he went back for his master's but he was intent on getting his MA to get the PhD and had lot of bad advice from some of his university professors about getting a tenured position--
they have to gull people into their MA programs to keep their jobs...is my take--without students IN their English master's programs--they would be looking for work along with everyone else...

many people who are in Instructional design jobs (and they cover a wide area of expertise and job function) have gotten there through various past employment and eduation--
often without having that job category in their headlights--
but now because colleges are designing and integrating various schools with similar agendas it is becoming more necessary to have a degree to move up the food chain...
if my son had gotten an MA/MS in instructional design vs his creative writing/English MA--he could be earning 3 times the money he is now and running his dept...

even if you get the technical certification vs the college degree--you have a background to build on with a college degree--
that more than an English degree with the education certification is what I would recommend if you want to have a job with some upside to it--

Last edited by loves2read; 08-31-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 5,787 times
I really don't think there is I actually was going to school for 2 1/2 years to become a nurse and my Fiance is a RN already and where we currently live thre are absolutely no jobs so he had to take the first one that came along, two years ago and has hated it ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: