Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:10 PM

107 posts, read 166,853 times

Advertisements

While doing more research on homes and schools, I ran across an article on Flower Mound from March of this year that is causing me some great concern. It was about drilling,fracking (?) and those types of things going on. The article talked about the pollution and smell and all that was going on with it. When it went on about possible cancer clusters, I have to say I am now rather freaked out! Can anyone give it to me straight what this is all about? I am making a first trip down in under two weeks looking at the area and looking at homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,098 times
I don't think you have a great concern. However, it will be easy to see if you are looking at a house in an area that has a gas drill near you. If you're in the countryside of FM, yes, you might have some there. If you're in an established subdivision, ain't gonna be there. The fracking goes on hundreds of feet below the water level. Millions of folks live in the Barnett Shale area and I've yet to hear of anyone being killed. Google fracking and see what comes up.
It's now becoming a controversial issue here.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:02 PM

Are there areas I should make sure I stay away? I enjoy sitting outside (in the shade ) and would hope to have some fresh air and quiet. You may think I am over-reacting but I am looking to up and move my family from New England down there and this type of thing really shook me up as FM seemed like the place to focus.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
In a nut shell, they are drilling deep and there is no seepage. (Seepage can occur from a shallow well or in rare cases on top of a reserve naturally). I know it's confusing (the bogus info floating around doesn't help things). I would worry more about all the traffic messing up your peace and quiet, lol. Next you will hear about the old battery factory (don't worry about that either). Here is a diagram to give you an idea of what goes on.

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=110

Old 09-03-2011, 02:06 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbound2011 View Post
While doing more research on homes and schools, I ran across an article on Flower Mound from March of this year that is causing me some great concern. It was about drilling,fracking (?) and those types of things going on. The article talked about the pollution and smell and all that was going on with it. When it went on about possible cancer clusters, I have to say I am now rather freaked out! Can anyone give it to me straight what this is all about? I am making a first trip down in under two weeks looking at the area and looking at homes.
Fracing is a process that involves pumping sand and water into an oil or gas well in order to stimulate flow. This takes place well below water tables and is cased. This process takes about 1-3 days generally. You may smell something depending on your proximity to the well. They use a lot of diesel...about 2000-10,000 gallons and numerous chemicals like acid. Now it could be worse if you live near a major oilfield, I'm talking 50 wells close by each other. Then you could end up with a never ending perto smell. Those people who's been through Penwell or Kermit understand what I'm talking about. I've got about 6-7 wells close to our Midland home and can't smell a thing unless their working on a well.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Are there areas I should make sure I stay away? I enjoy sitting outside (in the shade ) and would hope to have some fresh air and quiet. You may think I am over-reacting but I am looking to up and move my family from New England down there and this type of thing really shook me up as FM seemed like the place to focus.
Anywhere you move in Texas you would have to worry about this..Denton county is fairly active, but FloMo is very also restrictive place for drilling. I would contact the city if I were you, I believe they have an overlay map that shows where the drilling is currently happening or proposed. More than likely it won't be anywhere near the subdivisions. They can also make you feel a little better about it by arming you with information-you might also ask about the recent air quality study. To my knowledge they are not "fracking" in FloMo.

I wouldn't write the town off your list because of this.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:00 AM

I can't thank all of you enough! When I read this all I could think of is the superfund sights up here (large areas that are extremely contaminated causing cancer clusters). I'll continue my search in FM with relief - thanks again

Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
It was a hotly debated issue in the past in Flower Mound, but I haven't heard much about it. Rest assured, it's been very restricted.

Here's the info from the town about it:

Town of Flower Mound, Texas - Environmental Resources (http://www.flower-mound.com/env_resources/env_resources_ong.php - broken link)

Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,098 times
Quote:
I can't thank all of you enough! When I read this all I could think of is the superfund sights up here (large areas that are extremely contaminated causing cancer clusters). I'll continue my search in FM with relief - thanks again
I'm also from New England (Hartford and Boston) and like it here. I also lived in FM in 1991. The job moved me around a lot. I would never complain about moving if only I COULD GET A JOB NOW!

Don't worry about gas wells. Focus on the heat, lack of rain, Cowboys, Rangers, World Champion Mavs, the heat, high school football, chicken fried steak and a word you may not have heard much up north, jalapeno.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Yeah the Rangers kicked our buts last night - ouch! Luckily I hate hate hate the cold! I'm in a jacket at 70 degrees and are just getting warm at 80 (which is still cold for this summer down there). My job is moving me as well, but I have been checking out as much as possible online before a first trip down in less than two weeks. Businesses are fleeing MA and I am hoping I really like it down there as I have heard some great things from folks that have moved down. I'll just have to make it through this winter up here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas