Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 AM

205 posts, read 479,118 times

Advertisements

What types of outdoor activities are there to do in Dallas area? We are moving from south florida and currently spend most our time at the beach, water sports such as wakeboarding, kiteboarding, paddle boarding. In the winter we do mountain biking, running.

I dont know what the rules are but can you do any water sports on lewisville lake? Here we can do pretty much everything all year long so Im curious what types of things people do out there. We are a very active family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,436,708 times
I do a ton of kayaking mostly kayak fishing

Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 AM

205 posts, read 479,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I do a ton of kayaking mostly kayak fishing
Where? On the lakes? My husband does that here on the inter coastal waters.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 AM

812 posts, read 2,173,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StEt0417 View Post
City of Dallas built a white water rapid-type of area on the Trinity river south of downtown. I've seen all kinds of boating on Lewisville lake. Texoma is a little over an hour north and is a huge lake (however it's closed right now due to a alga outbreak, due to our hot, dry summer).
Bottom line, you have options.
Welcome!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEt0417 View Post
I go to the lakes sometimes. But the best spots are within 2 hours of Dallas. The Brazos river just below possum kingdom lake is awesome and the lower mountain fork river below broken bow lake in Oklahoma is very nice as well. And about 1 hour and 45 min east of Dallas is Lake Fork that has the best bass fishing in the country.

Tell your husband to get on these two forums....

TexasKayakFisherman.com • Index page

Kayak Fishing - Texas Fishing Forum

Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 AM

There are lots of great mountain biking trails in the Dallas area also.

Dallas-Fort Worth Area Mountain Biking - Mountain Bike Trails

Old 09-16-2011, 10:40 AM

180 posts, read 477,936 times
Tons of water sports here in the DFW area. Lot's of options at any of the surrounding lakes in regards to wake boarding. I'm sure you can do the watersports year around but as mild as our winters are we do get random weeks of sub 40 degree weather, ice, wind ect. I swam in Lake Lewisville starting in March and the lake water temps were down in the 60's and even with a wetsuit it was not comfortable to be in.

Kiteboarding, check out: Dallas kiteboarding lessons and gear

SUP movement is getting bigger in the area, check out www.meetup.com for the SUP group....I've done it at Windsurfer Bay but I've seen them on Grapevine Lake as well.

Mountain Biking, decent amount of trails spread out all over the metroplex. Northshore being my favorite trail, but check out DORBA for trails, conditions, ect: DORBA | Dallas Off-Road Bicycle Association

Running is very popular, especially now that we have been getting decent weather the runners are out in force! Running season is upon us....YAY! Trail Running: NTTR - North Texas Trail Runners, Dallas Running Club: Welcome Runners and Walkers!, Check out local running stores Luke's Locker and Run On for events: Run On! (http://www.runontexas.com/calendar/Calendar.htm - broken link)

Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 AM

17 posts, read 40,259 times
Overall, very little variety in the outdoor activity area. Everything centers around a few small manmade lakes. Here is my list:

- boating on small manmade lakes
- kayaking on those same lakes
- canoeing down small rivers between those lakes
- mountain biking on a short trail around Grapevine Lake
- bike riding down a single Dallas bike trail
- camping at state parks, but the good ones are a few hours away

The problem is that none of it is natural, so it just isn't that inspiring. Look tom live elsewhere if you want variety and scenery. Dallas is a concrete jungle of chain restaurants and chuck e cheeses.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,379,872 times
Texas is in a drought right now, so lake levels are low. And as mentioned above Lake Texoma, which has great state parks, is closed for any kind of water contact due to the poisonous algea (it also has a zebra mussel infestation). Lake Lewisville, which you asked about on another thread, is a "party lake" and has a reputation for deaths due to drunk boating and overcrowding.

This summer was also extraordinarily hot - 70 days over 100 degrees and even up to 107 degrees and really folks just don't go outside when it is like that. Even swimming pool water is too hot to enjoy. But, in general, it is not as humid as Florida.

There are some hike and bike trails around Dallas - the Katy Trail is more of an urban trail and White Rock Lake trail goes around White Rock Lake and there is Preston Trail in Far North Dallas/Plano which is function over style as it is just in the easement of high tension electrical wires.

There is a Six Flags amusement park, and there are numerous water parks. I think that Trinity white water rapids thing is closed before it opened because it wasn't designed right and it's too dangerous. There are some nature preserves - two in Plano. There are some indoor rock climbing places. There is a new cable wakeboarding water place in Allen that just opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas