U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 AM

1,920 posts, read 1,965,000 times
Default Pest Control--Tenant or Landlord?

This is a corollary to our wonderful flea infestation--see other thread.

At this point, we're not sure what to do. Our attempts to take care of it ourselves are not working and I still haven't heard back from our landlord. We covered every surface (except for the bed) with diatomaceous earth, vacuumed it up, and then mopped everything with an orange oil solution. After we cleaned it all up last night (3 hours of hard work!) we only saw one or two. This morning we woke up itching (they've found our bed oh Lord) and my husband is home and says they are all over the front room again.

It's probably time to get an exterminator involved, but who covers the costs for:

A. The actual treatment (this is complicated by my pregnancy and our fear of using toxic chemicals that could hurt our baby)

B. Getting rid of the host?

We have no pets, but the most likely culprits are:

1. My parents dog. With our landlords permission, we watched him for three days over a month ago. He has been treated for fleas and my parents are not having any issues at their home. So I don't think this is likely.

2. A birds nest in the fireplace. It's sealed, but debris still falls down and our neighbor had a petrified baby bird on her side.

3. The feral cats/other animals that wander around outside. They've never been in the house, though.

4. Something in the attic. I took down fall decorations shortly before the fleas appeared. However we haven't heard any noises and the appearance of the fleas also coincided with the first rainstorm. The fleas also seem to be concentrated in the front room, especially near the fireplace.

This is the only thing our lease says about pest control: (under Tenant's General Responsibilities)

Quote:
(9) pay any periodic, preventive, or additional extermination costs desired by Tenant;
That's pretty vague.

ALSO--Anyone have a pest control company they can recommend? If our landlord doesn't get back to us soon, we're going to have to go ahead and do something before he gets back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:17 PM

2,474 posts, read 3,329,027 times
You are responsable.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:41 PM

6,332 posts, read 9,729,011 times
Go to a health food store and get Brewer's Yeast tablets. Start taking them, and give them to any pets in the house. After a week or so, the fleas will find you inedible and they will leave.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 PM

1,920 posts, read 1,965,000 times
Thanks for the tip--I'm going tomorrow anyway

Finally got ahold of landlord and turns out he has a quarterly contract with terminix that allows us to to request extra spraying free of charge. That was a very nice surprise!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM

2,474 posts, read 3,329,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Thanks for the tip--I'm going tomorrow anyway

Finally got ahold of landlord and turns out he has a quarterly contract with terminix that allows us to to request extra spraying free of charge. That was a very nice surprise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas