Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart is cheaper than Target. That's usually why I go there vs. what I believe to be a better shopping experience at Target.

I used to just drive to the Wal-Mart on Forest Lane or go to the one by my workplace. Now I go to this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Wal-Mart is cheaper than Target.
See I've always found that to be something of a myth. I suppose like most things -like debates on grocery stores, pharmacies, etc - it depends on what one buys. For what I buy at such stores. kids clothes, kitchen stuff, storage containers, pharmacy items, that sort of thing, I find if I look over receipts it averages. There are thing other do at these stores that might make a difference, but I don't grocery shop at them for example, and I find most Wal-Mart brand adult clothes to be poorly enough made that they don't last enough to justify the slight savings in cost.
The problem with this Wal-Mart though is the small size. I have talked to several neighborhood people who were excited about it, who are now very disappointed and say they will continue to have to drive to the further north one, because so much of what they go to Wal-Mart for isn't available here. I have also heard that their sales were well below expectations... don't know for sure if that is true, but it would match my experience of the "crowds" there and what others who have been tell me. Unlike others I never found the shopping experience that different between Wal-Mart and Target (if they were in the same neighborhood). And although Wal-Mart gets more bad press the % of workers making minimum wage, part time vs full time, and uninsured is actually about the same between them, so they are about morally equivalent... well Wal-Mart is a little worse (secretly building on a native graveyard and dumping the bodies for example) but in day to day operations they seem to treat employes the same, and they both "kill main street" in about the same way (Sorry Target partisans but it is true)

The Sams, on the other hand, seems to be doing well, and I think it will continue to do so, I'm sure the JCPenneys will also. I just think they made a massive mistake by building a small Wal-Mart where they did. If they want to come in to a local where Target is dominant, and has a loyal following they need to offer things Target doesn't to get people in. A full Wal-Mart does that. More items, Garden Center, Automotive, This 1/2 Wal-mart doesn't. I doubt it will close as enough people will run in quick after going to Sam's for bulk items, but it won't thrive like it should have.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
I was referring mostly to the grocery section. I have compared and on average it is cheaper than Target, Kroger, etc. I don't buy clothes at Wal-Mart, but will at target.

I buy most of my produce/meat at Newflower/Sprouts, but it's hard to beat Wal-Mart for staples like baking items, dairy, snack foods, etc.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I was referring mostly to the grocery section. I have compared and on average it is cheaper than Target, Kroger, etc. I don't buy clothes at Wal-Mart, but will at target.

I buy most of my produce/meat at Newflower/Sprouts, but it's hard to beat Wal-Mart for staples like baking items, dairy, snack foods, etc.
I do much the same. Meat and produce at Sunflower, dairy, eggs, oil, etc @ Aldi. Just never Grocery shop @ Wal-Mart. I would believe for that purpose it is less than Target though. I also make sure to slide a trip to El Rancho or Fiesta in there for some produce and their amazing fish counters as well.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times
At the time they started building, this was the first "urban" Wal-Mart and Sam's combo. So it appears that Wal-Mart is still figuring everything out.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
At the time they started building, this was the first "urban" Wal-Mart and Sam's combo. So it appears that Wal-Mart is still figuring everything out.
Probably true,
I think it is probably a great combo for many places, just not literally within sight of two targets.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 PM

13 posts, read 62,012 times
This walmart closes at 12am. I was shocked when I tried to get in and told they were closed. Also they did a terrible job with the parking lot design and traffic flow patterns into, out of, and through the lot.
Does anybody actually shop at JCPenney?

Old 12-25-2011, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,488 times
I live in the Village, right around the corner/ across the street from the new shopping center, but I have only visited the new WalMart once(nothing special...just another Wally World), and frankly, since it does not even stay open 24 hours like a "normal" WalMart, whatever appeal it may have had for me in convenience was lost.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:18 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
I shop at JCPenney. Get a lot of my work clothes there. They also sell the Mango brand. My daughter wanted an Urban Decay eyeshadow pallet for Christmas, I went to Sephora in the mall, sold out. Headed over to JCPenney, which has a Sephora, and there it was. That's a really nice store on SKillman. I also buy my towels and basic bedding from JCPenney.

I agree about the traffic flow and parking for the Walmart. I do like that Sams has a gas pump and I was able to find a nice bottle of scotch for my hubby at the Sams liquor store, a little bit cheaper.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamdamon View Post
Does anybody actually shop at JCPenney?
I love love love JC Penney. So happy to have one nearby. For years I have been buying my son their Arizona brand jeans. They are almost indestructible. And all their pants for boys come in regular, slim or husky sizes all the way to size 20. My son has always been hard to fit because he is so skinny and tall, so Arizona brand works very well.

Also my daughter is tall for her age and has been in junior sizes since before 13. JC Penney actually has age appropriate fashions for juniors, not "slutty look in smaller sizes" that sometimes plagues juniors departments. We get a lot of stuff there for her. The one we used to go to in GA had the best selection of holiday dresses for juniors...you could pick up a fancy evening dress for under $60. Haven't seen those kind of dresses at this one though.

The only thing I don't like is their shoe department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
I shop at JCPenney. Get a lot of my work clothes there. They also sell the Mango brand. My daughter wanted an Urban Decay eyeshadow pallet for Christmas, I went to Sephora in the mall, sold out. Headed over to JCPenney, which has a Sephora, and there it was. That's a really nice store on SKillman. I also buy my towels and basic bedding from JCPenney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: