Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Hard to imagine someone else telling someone to move there, just to join the fundraiser circuit.
Again, AS USUAL, you missed the point. I was merely pointing out the opportunities that could be had (if OP chooses to pursue) more easily in Dallas than LA. That's it.

For someone in business (like a future CFO/CEO/COO or a law/finance/consulting firm partner or MD), being able to move in certain circles CAN & DOES aid in business/client development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Again, AS USUAL, you missed the point. I was merely pointing out the opportunities that could be had (if OP chooses to pursue) more easily in Dallas than LA. That's it.

For someone in business (like a future CFO/CEO/COO or a law/finance/consulting firm partner or MD), being able to move in certain circles CAN & DOES aid in business/client development.
Still an odd comment. Move to Dallas, become a "player" in the fundraising circuits, lol.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:12 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
There really is something about being in the "most known place in the world" that can draw someone to California.
Known for what though? Most of the things I equate to Southern California are necessarily positive and desirable.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Still an odd comment. Move to Dallas, become a "player" in the fundraising circuits, lol.
Not odd AT ALL if you had a clue how business in this town works....

Let's just take one board, for fun:

Finance Relationships
Carlson Capital hedge fund founder
wife to HBK Investments Chairman
wife of JP Morgan Chase Regional CEO
former Dow Jones Chairman, current chairman of Vistas Unlimited
founded a credit bureau in the 1980's that ultimately was sold to Experian
Routh Street Investments
Enceladus Investments
Bank of America- oversees all US branches
Barrow Hanley founder
Brazos Private Equity
wife of former hedge fund-er Howard; together they are the foremost art collectors in Dallas
Bank One former chairman
wife to Cardinal Capital founder

Real Estate Relationships
founder & CEO of Harwood International (real estate development)
commercial real estate
Club Corp owner
residential real estate (Preston Hollow/ Park Cities "power broker")

Healthcare Relationships
wife of Tenet Healthcare CEO
EVP, Texas Health Resources

Telecom & Media Relationships
Chairman & CEO of AGC Roaming
CEO of AT&T Advertising Solutions
Belo Corporation former Chairman

Retail/ Fashion Industry Relationships
owners of NorthPark Mall (one of the few BILLION dollar malls in the US)
wife to former CEO of Barneys, Neiman's, & JCPenney
mother to NYC fashion designer Lela Rose

Legal Relationships
Partner @ Locke Lord
Partner @ Godwin Ronquillo
Partner @ Condon Thornton Sladek Harrell
Partner @ Andrews Kurth

Oil/ Gas/ Energy Relationships
Cox Oil owner
NPG Energy

Business Owners & Presidents
founder of The Sports Life Transitions
president of Interceramic
Faulconer Inc founder
founder of Skinceuticals
paper industry mogul
President, Cerp Foods
CEO, NCH Corporation (industrial)

Auto Industry Relationships
owns a national auto group selling Honda, Aston Martin, Acura, Mazda, etc
wife to owner of some of the highest grossing auto dealerships (Lexus) in the nation

Education Relationships
Southern Methodist University Dean
Director/ trustee of St Mark's School of Texas

Philanthropic Relationships
McDermott foundation (philanthropists)
Nancy B Hamon (philanthropist)
Marguerite S. Hoffman - philanthropist
Margaret McDermott - leading philanthropic foundation in Dallas
Margot Perot- wife to founder of EDS, former Presidential candidate; namesake of labor & delivery building at Presbyterian Hospital and the new Perot Museum of Nature & Science
Caren H. Prothro - philanthropist

Wouldn't these be the "right" people to know if you were growing & expanding a business in Dallas? From attorneys to commercial real estate developers, finance managers to business owners & CEOs- this is a damn good network to be a part of. There are women, men, & minorities (Hispanics, Asians, African Americands) all represented on this board.

Many of these people on this particular board DID NOT grow up in Dallas- yes, there are the usual "who's who" of Dallas families represented on the board, but many many more are appointed by their companies who give big bucks to this organization and basically "own" a seat on the board. Many companies EXPECT their C-level & up associates to be involved in the community. It's good to give back and it's a great networking tool, too.

My company is a huge fundraiser for a Dallas-based non-profit. Our CEO appoints one VP & higher level associate for each 2-year board term - one who recently served was a lesbian who grew up in the midwest and only came to Dallas when her career brought her here-> not the "typical" charity circuit person you see on "the show", right? Yet, she served on that particular board right along with rew Ginsburg's father.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
I just went over to the LA boards to see how those guys answered the OP's question...incredibly depressing...they talk of how you "might be able to make it" on $200K if you "are single and don't splurge"...REALLY?!?!?!?!? Holy Cow! I know the COL is higher out there but that is just ridiculous to me.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I just went over to the LA boards to see how those guys answered the OP's question...incredibly depressing...they talk of how you "might be able to make it" on $200K if you "are single and don't splurge"...REALLY?!?!?!?!? Holy Cow! I know the COL is higher out there but that is just ridiculous to me.
That advice sounds about right for someone who either needs good public schools. At $200k income in LA, he'll have to settle for a loooooong commute to a suburban district OR waaaaay expensive real estate (even at today's "2003 prices") to get good schools in the city proper (in a decent city neighborhod).

I know the Newsweek/ Wash Post "best high school" lists aren't perfect, but compare the school quality based on AP exams-->

Los Angeles/ LA County
Palos Verdes Peninsula HS, Rolling Hills Estates
Arcadia HS, Arcadia
California Academy of Math & Science, Carson
Diamond Bar, Diamond Bar
Bonita, La Verne
Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies, LA
Malibu HS, Malibu
Redondo Union, Redondo Beach
Temple City, Temple City
South Torrance HS, Torrrance
Westlake HS, Westlake Village

Orange County (I wouldn't consider this "commutable to LA" but I know people do it.....)
University HS, Irvine
Northwood HS, Irvine
Woodbridge HS, Irvine
Troy HS, Fullerton
Esperanza HS, Anaheim
Edison HS, Huntington Beach
Capistrano Valley, Mission Viejo
Corona del Mar, Newport Beach
Valencia HS, Placentia
Foothill, Santa Ana
Tustin HS, Tustin

13 MILLION residents and 22 high schools on the list (some of which are magnets and not "open enrollment").

Dallas County
School of Science & Engineering Magnet, DISD
TAG Magnet, DISD
Business Management Magnet, DISD
Magnet for Public Service, DISD
Townview Law & Law Enforcement Magnet, DISD
Booker T Washington Perfomring Arts Magnet, DISD
School for Health Professionals, DISD
Highland Park High School, HP/UP
Harmony Science Academy, Dallas
Newman Smith HS, Carrollton
North Hills Prep, Irving

Collin County
Plano West HS, Plano
Plano East HS, Plano
Allen HS, Allen

Tarrant County (east of FW)
Colleyville Heritage HS, Colleyville
Carroll HS, Southlake

Dallas Metro- 6 MILLION residents and 16 high schools on the list (again, some of which are magnets, but still...).... Many of which in neighborhoods/suburbs where it's 1) safe and 2)doesn't cost $1M just to buy dirt.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:02 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Several of our friends in LA sent their kids on a 45-minute (each way) commute by bus to kindergarten (and felt lucky they got into the uber-selective charter school.) It's either that or $17k for kindergarten. Our (almost) 1500 square foot house on a busy street with a postage stamp yard that we sold to come here is back on the market for $860k. Add in state income tax...do the math.

And...that's why we moved.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
Several of our friends in LA sent their kids on a 45-minute (each way) commute by bus to kindergarten (and felt lucky they got into the uber-selective charter school.) It's either that or $17k for kindergarten. Our (almost) 1500 square foot house on a busy street with a postage stamp yard that we sold to come here is back on the market for $860k. Add in state income tax...do the math.

And...that's why we moved.

Makes you wonder how the heck people survive out there if $200K is not enough...and I'm pretty sure the average income over there is NOT anywhere close to $200K either...

Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

My company is a huge fundraiser for a Dallas-based non-profit. Our CEO appoints one VP & higher level associate for each 2-year board term - one who recently served was a lesbian who grew up in the midwest and only came to Dallas when her career brought her here-> not the "typical" charity circuit person you see on "the show", right? Yet, she served on that particular board right along with rew Ginsburg's father.
It's very noteworthy to have a gay/lesbian in any impressive position in Dallas. That should tell you something right there. It's like having technology in Africa, lol.

Another thing, pressure to be involved in too many civic/community events is a small-town trait. Everyone has to know the mayor or they don't belong.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Quote:
Makes you wonder how the heck people survive out there if $200K is not enough...and I'm pretty sure the average income over there is NOT anywhere close to $200K either...
Debt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas