Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 AM

160 posts, read 431,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
how long do you want to stay in the car???
my commute now is 1 hour each way. In hard, bumper to bumper, slow moving, traffic.

so 30-45 minutes on texas highways will be like a blessing !

thank you Christie and Loves2Read for the good info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,659,747 times
Texas highways don't mean high-speed driving during rush hours. You can search the forum for the figure, I think it is something like estimated 3-4 min. per mile. So that 15 mile commute turns into 45-60 minutes' drive.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Texas highways don't mean high-speed driving during rush hours. You can search the forum for the figure, I think it is something like estimated 3-4 min. per mile. So that 15 mile commute turns into 45-60 minutes' drive.
yes I am familiar, former San Antonio resident for many years. "Loop 410" = nightmare.

I lived there when "death loop" 1604 was a two-way road.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,618,592 times
Jackson is Pool which is Central in Bedford and turns into N Carroll in Southlake
personally I would go straight up that road to 114
there are school zones in some spots and crossing Hwy 26 can have long line at light because it is not full 3 lane access around the donut shop
but that is way better than going east to 121 then north through the get off in Grapevine to get back on 114
that is horrible when traffic is congested

I have only been on 114 lately during afternoon rush traffic around 5 pm
EAST traffic moves faster coming down from Denton on 377 and catching 114 than WEST traffic--
that is really stagnant
especially around the light going into Trophy Club--
there is construction in that part of 114 and sometimes two lanes go down to one--
murder when there are large numbers of cars and 18 wheelers jockying for position
the EAST side moves faster--maybe because lot of the WEST traffic is people going to Haslet/Roanoak to 377 or on to I-35 from work in Dallas or DFW area

look through an MLS for homes in your price range/size/age for towns in areas you are considering--
check out a map

it is a big area--if you are searching from another town and not familiar with this area you have no idea of what it looks like
the area around Haslet/Blue Mound can have elevation but it lacks geographical definition--very plain--few large trees--
you can see a long ways if you are on an elevated piece of road like I-35 and most of what you see are tract subdivisions--
not that enticing to me but plenty of people live there

San Antonio has nice mix of trees and open horizon--and the mass architecture of strip malls and neighborhoods tries to accentuate the positives about the geo region

can't really say the same for some areas around here
and if you want trees--like oaks/pecans/larger trees you need to stay EAST of 377 in my opinion
once you cross WEST of I35 you can see there is distinct drop off in native larger trees--because of the type of geo-zone it is
unless there is some natural creek/waterway in the area
it was cattle land and farm land--flat, plain,

Last edited by loves2read; 10-03-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,618,592 times
regarding a commute time--
I have been driving my son to doctor in Denton for past month off and on--
I prefer to use 377 because traffic is easier to deal with and then using 114 to Carroll and south to Hwy 26 then to Hurst

he like going up 121 and then I35E because it is faster

south Denton back to Hurst in 5 pm traffic can take 40 min in traffic that is usually moving 60 mph
but if you are on 114 or I35 that won't be the case

use Google maps for traffic from your work site to potential home and add at least 15 min each way--maybe close to 30 depending on how much construction you would have to drive through...
114 is going to be under construction for probably 2 more years

Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,856,014 times
Since you are working in Alliance I would suggest looking in Heritage, Keller ISD. You would have practicly no commute time.

Parr Park is a wonderful area, but the drive out to Alliance could be a real bear.

Trophy club is nice and the commute to Alliance would be short. It has daily shopping grocery etc right at 114 and 377. My problem with Trophy club is the 1 major road that goes in and out, it's slow going etc... but it is pretty and all the schools are very good. Now that they have a HS and the kids don't have to trek all the way to NWHS is a bonus.

I suggest you stay in Grapevine when you come out ofr you house hunting trip, drive the route out to Alliance in rush hour and see how it is. The drive home will probably take longer PM commutes always seem to be worse!

There is a new Hospital being built on 35 and Golden Triangle. For Kids, Southlake now has Cooks Childrens as well. And yes there is a Baylor facility in Trophy club.
Seriously though, how many times do you actually go to the Hospital? I have 3 kids and in 17 years I can count the trip to the "hospital" on 1 hand.

Good luck.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Since you are working in Alliance I would suggest looking in Heritage, Keller ISD. You would have practicly no commute time.

Parr Park is a wonderful area, but the drive out to Alliance could be a real bear.

Trophy club is nice and the commute to Alliance would be short. It has daily shopping grocery etc right at 114 and 377. My problem with Trophy club is the 1 major road that goes in and out, it's slow going etc... but it is pretty and all the schools are very good. Now that they have a HS and the kids don't have to trek all the way to NWHS is a bonus.

I suggest you stay in Grapevine when you come out ofr you house hunting trip, drive the route out to Alliance in rush hour and see how it is. The drive home will probably take longer PM commutes always seem to be worse!

There is a new Hospital being built on 35 and Golden Triangle. For Kids, Southlake now has Cooks Childrens as well. And yes there is a Baylor facility in Trophy club.
Seriously though, how many times do you actually go to the Hospital? I have 3 kids and in 17 years I can count the trip to the "hospital" on 1 hand.

Good luck.
good points, "hospital" falls under "infrastructure" for me so I consider it important.

Thanks

Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,728,239 times
Remember: the Baylor "hospital" in Trophy Club is really just a surgical center. (I work in the industry!) For anything major, you will want to go to Baylor Grapevine. North Hills' Alliance facility is just an ER. Once the new THR hospital is built in Alliance, that will be a much better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas