Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 AM

301 posts, read 570,885 times

Advertisements

Former Marylander here. Where in MD are you moving from? Wondering what to help you compare with...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:41 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
Celina or Gunter sounds like a much better choice for you.You will be near entertainment and bustle but ot close to it.Anything out in the farmersville direction will not be as solid when it comes to long term investment or schools.Check out Gunther and Celina with some searches online.Both areas offer acreage at decent prices.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:42 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
FYI.... Farmersville/Princeton area has a high concentration of sex offenders.Check out family watchdog.com.Unless the budget was very small ,there are better options.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:17 PM

161 posts, read 725,498 times
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I believe you can have horses in Fairview and Lucas and some parts of Wylie.

Parts of Fairview and Lucas feed into Lovejoy ISD, which is rated "exemplary" and is generally known as a good school district.

Wylie is divided between Plano ISD and Wylie ISD.

Check them out.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
You asked for anecdotal... My former boss bought acreage in the Princeton district. They actually chose to send their daughter to Blue Ridge ISD and did whatever they had to do to legally enroll her there. She won many blue ribbons in state FHA competitions showing calves they had raised and through that earned a full ride to Texas A&M to study Veterinary Medicine. Far above the "community college only" broad brush swipe someone posted earlier.

There are positives about a small school district and allowing your kids to be the big fish in a small pond. All of the other districts suggested so far (save for Farmersville) will have an increasingly suburban feel to them. Sounds like you don't want that. And you won't be able to get near the amount of land in any of these districts for the $$$ that you can in Blue Ridge.

I can't say much more than this, just like to offer a counterpoint to the narrow view of what is "IN" as far as schools and neighborhoods in DFW. Some people have a very narrow view of these things, IMO.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:23 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Be careful about Lucas. A few years ago, when we were looking for horse property, we found out that Lucas required the barn materials to match the house materials. So, if you build a brick house, they want a brick barn, too. Any horseman can tell you that won't work in Texas (due to our summer heat) unless you do some pretty extensive roof venting, cupolas, etc. The barn would end up costing almost as much as the house! So, we passed on Lucas...

Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
There are positives about a small school district and allowing your kids to be the big fish in a small pond. All of the other districts suggested so far (save for Farmersville) will have an increasingly suburban feel to them. Sounds like you don't want that. And you won't be able to get near the amount of land in any of these districts for the $$$ that you can in Blue Ridge.
The OP had a child in a great school and wanted to continue to emphasize academics.

In the smaller schools, your kids will get to be starters on most varsity teams. They have a decent chance to be class valedictorian or in the top 10 grads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLioMele View Post
Our biggest consideration is price. We don't have a huge budget, and the really nice places don't fall in it. We do have a custom builder friend, but that will entail waiting, which I am not good at And it may not be cost effective anyhow. It'd be nice to find a piece of property with a barn on it, but no house, then we could keep horses there whilst building.

Thoughts thoughts thoughts.....
You really want a hilltop with southern exposure, with gravel roads as close in as you can get. 10 acres of raw land to start with is doable on a smaller budget.

I'd find a good place to board and rent a home in the area. Then take your time to look around by driving the area and looking at Google earth.

if you do build, you want piers and a post-tension slab on this ground.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 874 times
If you're not born or raised in BR then the staff looks down on the student and parents. It's a "good ole boy" system, almost every male is a coach/teacher or principal. BRISD is focused on athletics instead of academics, if your child is 504, with a learning disorder. WATCH OUT, they are to prepared to handle it. God forbid you have a problem with another student, as my daughter did with a school bully if you try to get a hold of the principal's they never call you back. They don't have time to hear about those problems because it takes away from football or baseball. i had a meeting with the principal to discuss my concerns about bullying, he walked out of the meeting without any resolution, very unprofessional. There must have been a football practice he had to go to. but it was preconceived that he was going to walk out, because conveniently he had the sheriff by the door to announce my departure. In the administrative staff, they're relate to each other, the wife of the superintendent works in the HS office and is very cold and looks down her nose at you, maybe a control issue with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas